Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,197,763 times

Advertisements

New crop of talent is bringing downtown back to life - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,164,441 times
Good news. I go to Warren's, La Carafe, and the Market Square area all the time. The OKRA Charity Bar is nice.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:53 AM

561 posts, read 976,780 times
Houstonian's are making money and looking for new ways to spend it. Almost any new remotely 'hip' place is going to get some buzz and generate business.

Like your status, Americans, especially Houstonians are like sheep, they go to wherever they think the 'cool' people are. And that article stated and hinted at these business owners as the epitome of cool and fun.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,159,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Houstonian's are making money and looking for new ways to spend it. Almost any new remotely 'hip' place is going to get some buzz and generate business.

Like your status, Americans, especially Houstonians are like sheep, they go to wherever they think the 'cool' people are. And that article stated and hinted at these business owners as the epitome of cool and fun.
our the places that are coming out are places that have not normally been sen in houston, which is why they are getting much attenion and that is a good thing, downtown houston lacks things that stand out so why should people make the effort to go there

Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,164,441 times
Quote:

He stated they are very cool and fun people - the guys opening the bars and restaurants. These are going to be more like neighborhood bars rather than clubs and "to be seen" places.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,782,630 times
Quote:

That's true everywhere. Has nothing to do with just Houston.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:34 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,898,662 times
We used to go a lot from 1999-2004 or so, when I had first moved to Houston. Stopped going when it became very one-dimensional (everything turned to rap/hip-hop instead of the variety including typical club/electronic/dance music it had been before.) Very disappointing. We started sticking out like sore thumbs in that crowd as well. Perhaps that's what spurred the mainstream club scene to move to Washington Ave?

I'd always hoped downtown would come back, to the way it was those few years around 2000 when my friends would visit from Austin and compare it to then 6th Street (which has deteriorated a bit as well from what I hear, now called "Dirty 6th".)

Old 02-13-2013, 10:03 PM

2,936 posts, read 5,298,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
We used to go a lot from 1999-2004 or so, when I had first moved to Houston. Stopped going when it became very one-dimensional (everything turned to rap/hip-hop instead of the variety including typical club/electronic/dance music it had been before.) Very disappointing. We started sticking out like sore thumbs in that crowd as well. Perhaps that's what spurred the mainstream club scene to move to Washington Ave?

I'd always hoped downtown would come back, to the way it was those few years around 2000 when my friends would visit from Austin and compare it to then 6th Street (which has deteriorated a bit as well from what I hear, now called "Dirty 6th".)

So basically what I'm hearing is, once the rap scene was prevalent at Main Street, everyone decided they no longer wanted to frequent the place. What I don't understand is why can't both scenes exist? Hip Hop and Rap is just as important a culture as the dance/techno/punk scene. I remember back in 06 or o7, there was quite a hip hop scene down there but several closing of clubs quickly led to the 2010ish death of the Main Street scene that we see now.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,159,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
So basically what I'm hearing is, once the rap scene was prevalent at Main Street, everyone decided they no longer wanted to frequent the place. What I don't understand is why can't both scenes exist? Hip Hop and Rap is just as important a culture as the dance/techno/punk scene. I remember back in 06 or o7, there was quite a hip hop scene down there but several closing of clubs quickly led to the 2010ish death of the Main Street scene that we see now.
Which is funny cause hip hop pretty much keep downtown on life support. once the other style club goers decided that downtown was not the hip place to be anymore.. which boths **** me off when people go in on all the hip hop hop/ rap places.. Ignoring that when the yuppie class decided that parking was to much, or the streets where to toren up or the homeless . what ever excuse they generated it was hip hop club goers who still found their way into downtown...

Dont blame Houston or hip hop ...blame yourself for being spineless and not going out to support the bussiness that did try to open there.. and dont say it about safey . When was the llast time you even heard about a shoting , break , robbery in Downtown ???

Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 AM

4,402 posts, read 4,690,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Which is funny cause hip hop pretty much keep downtown on life support. once the other style club goers decided that downtown was not the hip place to be anymore.. which boths **** me off when people go in on all the hip hop hop/ rap places.. Ignoring that when the yuppie class decided that parking was to much, or the streets where to toren up or the homeless . what ever excuse they generated it was hip hop club goers who still found their way into downtown...

Dont blame Houston or hip hop ...blame yourself for being spineless and not going out to support the bussiness that did try to open there.. and dont say it about safey . When was the llast time you even heard about a shoting , break , robbery in Downtown ???
Exactly, the last couple of times I went on Main street. which was sometime last year it was mostly hip-hop crowds or let's be frank black crowds. Which is why I could never understand why people would say downtown is completely dead at night when I would hit up downtown at times and see tons of people outside on main. It's just people really mean to say it's either not enough "other" clubs around or they don't feel comfortable with a large black population downtown at night.

Either way I haven't been clubbing downtown in months. However I was downtown last Saturday attending a TUACA drink and ink event at the Bayou Center. And it was a couple of restaurants and bars in that area that I hadn't notice before that was filled with people and that kind of shocked me. Because I'm use to seeing most businesses in that area close around that time. So seems to me some new life is kicking back into downtown at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston