Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:37 AM

5 posts, read 15,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
When was the llast time you even heard about a shoting , break , robbery in Downtown ???
Police find man dead in middle of street near downtown Houston | abc13.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,158,232 times
first it said near downtown.. not in downtown

Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Exactly, the last couple of times I went on Main street. which was sometime last year it was mostly hip-hop crowds or let's be frank black crowds. Which is why I could never understand why people would say downtown is completely dead at night when I would hit up downtown at times and see tons of people outside on main. It's just people really mean to say it's either not enough "other" clubs around or they don't feel comfortable with a large black population downtown at night.

Either way I haven't been clubbing downtown in months. However I was downtown last Saturday attending a TUACA drink and ink event at the Bayou Center. And it was a couple of restaurants and bars in that area that I hadn't notice before that was filled with people and that kind of shocked me. Because I'm use to seeing most businesses in that area close around that time. So seems to me some new life is kicking back into downtown at night.
yeah alot of the new bars are like orka and have a certain theme to them, which makes them unique and places like that have more a friendly know the bar tender by name feel, which can go a long way to building a loyal base. Something a business in downtown is going to need.

instead of people constanly finding something to ***** about, why dont you go out and try to help these places.. when this thread was posted I knew there would be someonre who would find something negeative to say bout what this group is doing.

I mean these guys got to togther and decided to open bars and restarants in downtown Houston, along the same block by design. To create a string of business in one area thats more vision than the city so called leaders have ever had..lol

I try to support the new business any time I am downtown.. roma pizza, bruger guys, I will stop in banatga when it opens. and even thou I no longer drink , I may swing into a bar during a big game or so..

It time for Houstonians to stop making excuses after excues for not going downtown. the places are coming or have taken a chance and opened there . The question is will you support them or just find another excuse as to why you dont want to go.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 AM

561 posts, read 976,169 times
Quote:
yeah alot of the new bars are like orka and have a certain theme to them, which makes them unique and places like that have more a friendly know the bar tender by name feel, which can go a long way to building a loyal base. Something a business in downtown is going to need.

instead of people constanly finding something to ***** about, why dont you go out and try to help these places.. when this thread was posted I knew there would be someonre who would find something negeative to say bout what this group is doing.

I mean these guys got to togther and decided to open bars and restarants in downtown Houston, along the same block by design. To create a string of business in one area thats more vision than the city so called leaders have ever had..lol

I try to support the new business any time I am downtown.. roma pizza, bruger guys, I will stop in banatga when it opens. and even thou I no longer drink , I may swing into a bar during a big game or so..

It time for Houstonians to stop making excuses after excues for not going downtown. the places are coming or have taken a chance and opened there . The question is will you support them or just find another excuse as to why you dont want to go.
That maybe part of the problem, people only occasionally go to downtown after business hours.
And since there are so many offices sprawled all over the city there are even less businesses that have offices downtown, there are fewer people during peak weekdays.

I admire what these guys are trying to do, but Houston has never been a centralized type of city, new businesses pop up where there are other attractions, such as the Galleria, or a towncenter or along major highways.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
That maybe part of the problem, people only occasionally go to downtown after business hours.
And since there are so many offices sprawled all over the city there are even less businesses that have offices downtown, there are fewer people during peak weekdays.

I admire what these guys are trying to do, but Houston has never been a centralized type of city, new businesses pop up where there are other attractions, such as the Galleria, or a towncenter or along major highways.
Which is why word of mouth is just as important.. I know alot of people who go to HCC central campus . So I tell them if they have time to kill inbtween class go downtown to eat. its its a 12 min ride from the station to main street...
I lost count of the number of people who love freebird now, but when I meet them they had never even heard of it

as for business popping up where there is attraction, that has never been a problem for downtown.. between sports , and the theaher.. the hard parthas always been conivincing the people to stick around after and try the business in the area.

Downtown Houston problems breakdown like this.

1.A lack of venues opening after 10pm( luckly alot of the new guys are bucking this tread now)
2. a precevied sense that it a dangerous place after dark .(Again how many murder, or crimes have happend in downtown proper
3. lack parking which I do not undertsand why we just dont build parking towers like they do in chiago and other cities
4. A low residney rate( finely the city is starting to address this, but the process is slow) second this is not maddetten stop trying to create everything to cater to the super rich, create some places for mid- income too and you will see a DT population expode . I look at potenial the city has and wonder if the leadership just misses it or dont give a damn.

Take the U OF H downtown campus, I look that huge vacent lot across from it and think man if you put a colleage dorm there . you would be flooding DT houston with hundreds if not thousands of young people everyday

Last edited by Truth713; 02-14-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,162,873 times
Except the U OF H downtown isn't affiliated with the University of Hosuton. I don't think a dorm would work there.

Lack of parking is another misconception. Street parking may fill up, but there plenty of lots that charge $5.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,044,338 times
This is north of the viaduct and not in downtown.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
Except the U OF H downtown isn't affiliated with the University of Hosuton. I don't think a dorm would work there.

Lack of parking is another misconception. Street parking may fill up, but there plenty of lots that charge $5.
oh yeah I keep forgetting that, ither way it would make for some nice apartments then but I think down town U of H owns that land and are just sitting on it if they ever decided to expand.. shame that would be prime properly right along the bayou for residenal use

Old 02-14-2013, 02:49 PM

4,402 posts, read 4,681,021 times
Quote:

Exactly, I've been saying if you build it they will come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston