Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 AM

392 posts, read 999,916 times

Advertisements

Panchos

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,969,296 times
I am not so sure the Mexican food in other parts of Texas is better than the Mexican food in Houston. It has been pretty similar in my experience, and I don't eat Tex-Mex either.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:44 AM

18,140 posts, read 25,330,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I am not so sure the Mexican food in other parts of Texas is better than the Mexican food in Houston. It has been pretty similar in my experience, and I don't eat Tex-Mex either.
I still haven't found a place in Houston like "Guajillos" in San Antonio... which is supposed to be real Mexican food (not Tex-mex)

Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,726,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I still haven't found a place in Houston like "Guajillos" in San Antonio... which is supposed to be real Mexican food (not Tex-mex)
Guajillo's - The Shortcut To Mexico - San Antonio, Texas

A couple years back I stopped in this little yellow hole in the wall somewhere where SE Houston, South Houston and Pasadena meets. I was passing through and the name of the place escapes me. They had stuff like this and much more on the menu and no one in there spoke English. Good food. Burglar bars on all the windows and chickens running around the neighborhood streets as well. Let me just say you won't find the average C-Der looking for food around there, nor will you find Chron food critics trying out those places either. The entire greater east side is dotted with these places that fly under the radar.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,969,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Guajillo's - The Shortcut To Mexico - San Antonio, Texas

A couple years back I stopped in this little yellow hole in the wall somewhere where SE Houston, South Houston and Pasadena meets. I was passing through and the name of the place escapes me. They had stuff like this and much more on the menu and no one in there spoke English. Good food. Burglar bars on all the windows and chickens running around the neighborhood streets as well. Let me just say you won't find the average C-Der looking for food around there, nor will you find Chron food critics trying out those places either. The entire greater east side is dotted with these places that fly under the radar.
It actually looks pretty good. I am more of a street food guy (sopes, tacos, tostadas).

Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,779,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdcoastnole View Post
My input (being from South Texas, not SE Texas), is that Houston & Dallas "mexican/hispanic" food is no where near the level of SA, South Tx, Rio Grande, etc. food. So best to stick to your current route and dine on the lesser first.

I have lived in Houston for over 3 years now (and previously 2 years in Dallas) and have never really had good mexican/hispanic food. Breakfast tacos? Nope. Thick homemade tortillas? Nope. Great authentic enchiladas? Nope. The list goes on.
It sounds like youre talking about Tex-Mex. Not authentic Mexican. You can get excellent Mole Poblano and Pollo Pibil in Houston and Dallas. I had a friend from McAllen just move here and start complaining about the Mexican food in Dallas. I asked where in the Valley she could get good Mole Poblano and Pollo Pibil.

She didnt even know what they were.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:07 PM

194 posts, read 525,096 times
I really enjoy Sylvias. It made the top 100 restaurant list in Houston, and it's fairly cheap.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:03 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,452,582 times
Don't call it "Hispanic food". That term is considered somewhat derogatory by Latinos

Old 02-09-2013, 12:10 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,036,005 times
Hugo's downtown is AUTHENTIC & so is La Fisheria.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:09 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,726,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Don't call it "Hispanic food". That term is considered somewhat derogatory by Latinos
Agreed.

The fastest way to start a war is to lump Mexican and Colombian in the same sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston