Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:02 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,775,824 times

Advertisements

Maybe a connection fee or deposit was charged? You didn't mention that but maybe...

I use Cirro and an getting 10.1 or something. I would get 9.4 if I go over 200kwh, but I have not yet gotten up that high. My last bill was 108 dollars and some change. I am in a 4800 sq ft home that has doors opening and (sometimes) closing. Every light on sometimes as well as several tvs, two large refrigerators, separate AC\heat units for upstairs and down. We usually leave the outside lights on all the time since they don't have a timer or motion sensors. The house is only a few year sold and was designed to be energy efficient with windows, heavy insulation and radiant barrier. I realize summer has not hit yet but we have been running the AC and heat almost daily with the weather changes we have been having so I am quite happy with my homes efficiency right now.

I have an older home that is only 2100 sq feet, has a pool and in the summer the bill would approach 400 dollars even with a descent rate. It needs new windows and updated insulation to really help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhan_1978 View Post
Hi Folks...
I just moved to Houston got a one bedroom apartment and the electricity bill is 150 dollars per month. I have Reliant Energy, I called them and they told me I am paying approx 13.1 per KW.
Can someone give me some feedback how to lower the costs or maybe change the energy company....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 02:29 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,663,169 times
I use Potentia and got locked into a 3 year deal at $.103. I live in a 3,600 sq ft home, and this last month (March) used 1149 KWH for a total of around $130 once all the taxes and such were counted. I do have double paned windows, dual zone a/c, programmable thermostats that I can control from my phone, radiant barrier and I doubled up my insulation. But we have a family of 4 with 2 full sized refrigerators (one in the garage), a wine fridge, a mini fridge in the theater room and a freezer chest, so it's not like I'm running lean and mean. So yours does seem pretty high to me.

Edit: Additionally, I have switched out practically every light bulb in my house to LED bulbs.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:45 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,701,818 times
Go to powertochoose as someone said above.

Reach Energy has a good deal. 8.5 for 12 months That is a great rate for a 12 month contract. I usually do 3-6 to get good deals. My contract is actually coming up soon. Don't do a flex rate. Only fixed. I have gotten as low as 5.5 cents in the past. Usually, I am around 8 cents. Enjoy! Also, get a Nest thermostat. It really does save money. Plus it is so handy to be able to control your thermostat from a smart phone. You can remove it when you leave the apartment.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:50 PM

112 posts, read 208,393 times
Sorry to interject.....

You have to be on a contract with electric companies? (sorry out of state-er here)

Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,255,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjedstrom View Post
Sorry to interject.....

You have to be on a contract with electric companies? (sorry out of state-er here)
No. Contract is best though due to fixed rate.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:57 PM

112 posts, read 208,393 times
Interesting... I never wouldve thought of it that way. We only have one company here really so you dont have much choice. Xcel Energy it is. The end.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:12 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,701,818 times
Texas deregulated power like a decade ago. Oddly, it made our prices go up. We really only have one company that provides the power here too. All the other company just trade and sell power.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:43 AM

53 posts, read 98,559 times
It does appear de-regulation created a messy and confusing market with no saving to the consumers. And what is the point of talking energy conservation, going green etc, when you get penalized with higher per kilowatt hour rate when your usage is low, and be hit with a minimum usage fee each month on top of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston