Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 PM

69 posts, read 304,184 times

Advertisements

I hope to bring kid to cruise for a week. Not in holiday season, because it's very expensive. She is in 6th grad. Is that ok? What do I need to do with the middle school?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,962,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truelies View Post
I hope to bring kid to cruise for a week. Not in holiday season, because it's very expensive. She is in 6th grad. Is that ok? What do I need to do with the middle school?

They don't learn anything in school anyway what with the constant behavioral disruptions due to lack of discipline. She will probably learn more on the cruise than at school.

The school will tell you it's NOT ok, but that is only because they will miss out on money from her butt not being in a chair.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:26 PM

169 posts, read 450,878 times
Well I don't know what school district your kids attend but my local district takes families to court if they miss more than three days even if they provide doctor's excuse. The only excuse my district will except for more than 3 days in an actual release from a hospital...You probably need to ask the district if those days will just count as unexcused or will the district take legal action like mine does.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM

191 posts, read 536,468 times
We went with our six years old but didn't tell school where we are going.Teacher gave her week homework and she finished it in couple days when we came back.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:30 PM

418 posts, read 743,236 times
I would have never dreamed of yanking my kids out of school for a week for a vacation. School is far more important than a cruise.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:39 PM

184 posts, read 315,172 times
Tell the school you are taking her out for a week due to family issues. Have the teachers give her the homework and lessons she would be doing. My parents did this every couple years with my sister and I. Not cruises. We went on family vacations though, for the same reason. It was cheaper to go during the off season traveling days.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 PM

377 posts, read 1,347,264 times
Not sure which ISD you are in, but this what Fortbend tells about it. Not sure how they are implementing it.

Quote:
The FBISD will enforce the Texas compulsory attendance laws as follows:

All students will be issued a warning notice when attendance records reflect that the student has absences without an excuse on three (3) or more days or parts of days within a four-week period.

Automated phone calls will be placed to parents or guardians notifying them when students are absent as well as when a truancy warning notice has been issued. It is the parent’s or guardian’s responsibility to ensure that he/she provides current and up to date contact information to the school.

After a student has been issued a warning notice and his/her attendance record reflects that he/she has three (3) additional unexcused absences within a four-week period, the student will be issued a second (2nd) warning notice and referred to the Truancy Diversion Program (TDP). The TDP is an information-based program offered for parents and students as 1) an alternative to a court referral and 2) to educate parents or guardians and students who are experiencing truancy problems about the consequences associated with unexcused absences. In addition, the program identifies available and appropriate resources for families who are experiencing issues that may be contributing to a student’s truancy. The TDP will be offered to students and parents with truancy issues once during each school year.

The student’s and parent’s or guardian’s attendance in the TDP is required on the scheduled program date(s) at the scheduled time(s) in order to avoid the district filing a citation for unexcused absences of three (3) or more days or parts of days without an excuse within a four-week period. Attendance officers shall consider extenuating circumstances referenced on pages 3-4 if a student and/or parent or guardian is unable to attend the TDP scheduled referral date/time.

If a student fails to attend school on ten (10) or more days or parts of days within a six-month period in the same school year prior to attending the TDP and those absences have been verified by the campus as unexcused, the student and/or parent or guardian will be issued a citation and referred to the Fort Bend County Truancy Court regardless of whether the TDP has been completed in accordance with Texas Education Code, Section 25.0951. In such a case, the student and parent or guardian must appear on the scheduled court date at the scheduled time at 12550 Emily Court, Suite 300; Sugar Land, TX 77478 regardless of whether they are in the process of completing or have already completed the TDP. A student, parent, or guardian who fails or refuses to attend the TDP or who does not complete the TDP will be issued a citation. If a student’s unexcused absences are sporadic, it is possible that a warning notice or TDP referral may not be issued; however, a citation for ten (10) or more days or parts of days within a six-month period in the same school year within six (6) months can be issued without a warning notice or TDP referral.

Once a student and parent or guardian have been referred to the TDP, the student, parent or guardian will receive a truancy citation for future violations of the compulsory attendance laws.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:36 PM

69 posts, read 304,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretogo View Post
Not sure which ISD you are in, but this what Fortbend tells about it. Not sure how they are implementing it.
I am also in fortbend isd. The TDP thing in last paragraph is for per year or lifetime? I joined TDP at 2010, then next time will be to court even only 5 days in unexcused?

Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 PM

967 posts, read 2,613,700 times
I'm in KISD. I took a 6th grader out of school in Dec for a cruise.

Honestly, I will not do it again. It wasn't worth her or my aggravation.

We did pick a non exam week on purpose, which did help some. I was 100% honest. Sorry, I just can't teach my kids to lie. I filled out a form with the attendance clerk, and alerted her teachers. They weren't able to send ahead work, but we were okay with that. No far asking for special treatment to go on vacation.

Math was easy to work ahead.

The week we were back kicked her butt. She was trying to do makeup work and current work. In the end her grades were the same as usual, but as I said, for us it wasn't worth the aggravation to ever do it again.

We did get a warning letter. This was the only week off (hadn't missed any that semester

The other annoying thing, was later when she was stomach sick. Not sick-sick needing a doctor. Just needed a day at home. We had to go visit a dr anyways (who prescribed no course of treatment but rest) only to get a lousy dr note because we were on final notice.

So it's doable. But beware it is a pain. And watch out if your kid needs a day off for a different reason. Good luck. As I say, in the end nothing happened. It just isn't for us in the future.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:12 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,999,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
They don't learn anything in school anyway what with the constant behavioral disruptions due to lack of discipline. She will probably learn more on the cruise than at school.

The school will tell you it's NOT ok, but that is only because they will miss out on money from her butt not being in a chair.

LMAO! Funny yet halfway true at a LOT of schools these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: