Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,878,228 times

Advertisements

Kudos to Houstonians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,276,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I agree, great outcome. The father of the knuckleheads is interesting; an older Latino with gang style tattoo calligraphy on his neck.... I'm just guessing, but I think the father probably gave the boys more than just a "talk".
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Something tells me those boys are NEVER going to do anything lke that again. I agree, I don't think dad just gave them a scolding.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:11 PM

191 posts, read 777,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
The entire Houston building community has gotten behind this project. My company is donating $2,000 worth of **********. Also, some people connected with a local non-profit HomeAid Houston plus Gehan Builders are organizing donors.

People are quick to criticize builders and suppliers, but they are always the first to help causes like this when they can.

[I am not giving my company's name or what they are donating as they are not doing it for publicity, but for a good cause.]
Hat's off to you and your company! What an awesome thing to do and not expect publicity for it. Truly charitable!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:51 PM

1,667 posts, read 4,726,806 times
The Gonzalez brothers tried to MURDER another neighbor earlier that day. Sociopaths can't be rehabilitated, but you'll see these two back in public school shortly where they'll have to endure a grueling anti-gang program at the local YMCA two nights a week.

Quote:
Houston police say this isn't the first house the teens hit. Just a few blocks away, the same teens allegedly ransacked Wilton William's home. He walked in on the teens in the middle of their burglary, and the teens pointed Williams' own shotgun at the homeowner.

The teens quickly ran off, and didn't tag the inside of Williams' home. But among the items now missing is Mary Williams' wedding ring. "They took the whole jewelry box and dumped it in something," she said.

Police were able to recover some stolen items but Mary Williams is still looking for her wedding ring. She hopes police be able to help find it
Two teenage suspects in custody, accused of burglary and vandalism in home in northwest Houston | abc13.com

Last edited by LizzySWW; 01-31-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 PM

18,222 posts, read 25,498,123 times
This is my problem with these stories....
What if he wasn't a veteran? Would the news have covered it? Would people still help him?

I think that fact that he's a veteran is irrelevant and shouldn't be a factor when helping people.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:33 PM

191 posts, read 777,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What if he wasn't a veteran? Would the news have covered it? Would people still help him?

I think that fact that he's a veteran is irrelevant and shouldn't be a factor when helping people.
Perhaps yes, perhaps no. What really pulled at the heartstrings was that he was 93 years old, just lost his wife, and how vicious his house was tagged/vandalized. Then seeing his metals defaced as well as his possessions, after fighting for this country, so we can enjoy the freedoms we do...made it that much more sadder! In my opinion, you could not tell his story without the mention that he was a WWll veteran especially given the news showing his metals.

I believe the community would have still helped him even if he was not a veteran.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,512,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Not sure what this has to do with this thread besides pushing your agenda.

What agenda?

Quote:

WW 2 was not just any war. It was the most brutal war the world has ever seen. And he is 93.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,820,271 times
That veteran put his life in harms way so you can have the life you have now, you effing moron. The basics mate. That's exactly the problem with some nut heads like you. Are you effing serious? Is this all the respect you can show for a veteran. If I could I would deport you to Cuba for 40 years and maybe you can get some common sense and respect

How about some "patriotism" lessons one-on-one? I will make some time for you mate

Quote:

Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 AM

18,222 posts, read 25,498,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
That veteran put his life in harms way so you can have the life you have now, you effing moron. The basics mate. That's exactly the problem with some nut heads like you. Are you effing serious? Is this all the respect you can show for a veteran. If I could I would deport you to Cuba for 40 years and maybe you can get some common sense and respect

How about some "patriotism" lessons one-on-one? I will make some time for you mate
I don't help people because of what they did in the past
I help people because they need help

Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,301,893 times
Quote:
I don't help people because of what they did in the past
I help people because they need help
Simplistic, but not worth beans.

Imagine this scenario: Two people, both hungry and homeless. One is a 93 year old veteran, who served his country in its time of greatest need. His service enabled the world to survive the greatest threat we've faced in centuries. He worked his entire life, and never asked for help, never needed help.

The other is a 23 year old crack addict. Never done anything for themselves, just panhandle and petty thefts to keep the drugs coming.

You can only help one. ONLY ONE! Which one do you pick?

We all help people because of who they are, what their "story" is, how worth we deem them (admittedly subjective). The world needs more help than we can give, so sadly, we must pick and choose. Unless your Dopo, who doesn't care what someone did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: