Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:09 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,307,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c berry View Post
All the radio stations in Texas are conservative. I think they need to give equal time to the democrats.
You are using a wide brush here, not all radio stations are conservative. Most, yes, but not all. A station owner has the right to do what it wants with their programming, why do they have to offer one over the other? The programming that makes them money is the one they will go with. So far, that has not been liberal talk shows. Texas, after all, is a red state.

Would you find Snap-On tools at Victoria's Secret? Okay, don't answer that one!

Also, you can listen to just about any liberal talk show you want using the internet, albeit, you have to find the hours that work for you.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 11-08-2008 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 10:16 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,444,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c berry View Post
All the radio stations in Texas are conservative. I think they need to give equal time to the democrats.

Oh God. The Fairness Doctrine B.S. --ewwww.

Let the free market reign for God's sake. If it isn't wanted here, it isn't wanted. I mean, hello, Air America much?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,621,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Let the free market reign for God's sake.
I agree.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:45 PM

52,741 posts, read 48,091,804 times
Default Local Items - What To Bring Back

I'll tell you what I would like to see -- or, perhaps, hear -- in Houston once again. I may expound on this some more on my new Texas radio thread, but here now are the things I'd like to see back on the Houston radio airwaves:

1. A 24-hour classical station. How in the high, holy heck do people that represent what I believe is the nation's greatest arts community not come to bat when it needed to? Houston now has to settle for KUHF to get its classical fix. And the KRTS call letters are in West Texas now, and they won't be back, so Houston will now have to start fresh. This is so not right.

2. Get KPRC to be KPRC once again. In other words, Mojo just doesn't work on 950. Move that format to some struggling FM station.

3. Smooth jazz. This may be a longshot, since Dallas also lost theirs, too. Corporate radio doesn't seem to think there's a fan base anymore for this, but there is. The Wave needs to come back.

4. KTRH should go all-news again. You've got to think a major market has got to have at least one channel devoted to news. This station is now a mess. In the 90s, I couldn't wait to come to Houston just so I could listen to their news hours. They were top-notch then. They can be again. While they're at it, ABC and CBS radio networks need to come back to KTRH and KPRC, respectively. Someone else needs to pick up FOX. Nothing against FOX, but this is the only large market I know of that currently does not have ABC nor CBS on the radio. Unheard of. This is Houston, folks. This must change.

5. Bring back KLOL. I know. The 103.7 experiment failed. From what I've heard, a lot of listeners are demanding that this format and station come back, and on its original 101.1 channel. You AOR fans should continue persuading. It worked in Dallas with KEGL. Keep trying.

6. Bring back the Big Band format. I realize the audience may be getting older, but when you have a guy like Michael Buble who's bringing in new audiences, you just never know these days. One thing you won't be able to do is convince Paul Berlin out of retirement. That won't happen.

That's it for now. See you on my state thread. Come visit!!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:00 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,621,730 times
About five months after KLOL got killed, I ended up doing a phone interview with Ken Charles, Houston regional vice president for programming for an unrelated matter. It took all the restraint I could muster to not go "WHY?" (probably to be followed by something more colorful that would probably earn me an infraction if I posted exactly what I was thinking of saying, word for word).

Even though KLOL was really a shell of its old self when the plug got pulled.

Terrestrial radio is dead.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:15 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,447,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I'll tell you what I would like to see -- or, perhaps, hear -- in Houston once again. I may expound on this some more on my new Texas radio thread, but here now are the things I'd like to see back on the Houston radio airwaves:

1. A 24-hour classical station. How in the high, holy heck do people that represent what I believe is the nation's greatest arts community not come to bat when it needed to? Houston now has to settle for KUHF to get its classical fix. And the KRTS call letters are in West Texas now, and they won't be back, so Houston will now have to start fresh. This is so not right.

2. Get KPRC to be KPRC once again. In other words, Mojo just doesn't work on 950. Move that format to some struggling FM station.

3. Smooth jazz. This may be a longshot, since Dallas also lost theirs, too. Corporate radio doesn't seem to think there's a fan base anymore for this, but there is. The Wave needs to come back.

4. KTRH should go all-news again. You've got to think a major market has got to have at least one channel devoted to news. This station is now a mess. In the 90s, I couldn't wait to come to Houston just so I could listen to their news hours. They were top-notch then. They can be again. While they're at it, ABC and CBS radio networks need to come back to KTRH and KPRC, respectively. Someone else needs to pick up FOX. Nothing against FOX, but this is the only large market I know of that currently does not have ABC nor CBS on the radio. Unheard of. This is Houston, folks. This must change.

5. Bring back KLOL. I know. The 103.7 experiment failed. From what I've heard, a lot of listeners are demanding that this format and station come back, and on its original 101.1 channel. You AOR fans should continue persuading. It worked in Dallas with KEGL. Keep trying.

6. Bring back the Big Band format. I realize the audience may be getting older, but when you have a guy like Michael Buble who's bringing in new audiences, you just never know these days. One thing you won't be able to do is convince Paul Berlin out of retirement. That won't happen.

That's it for now. See you on my state thread. Come visit!!
Just get satellite radio. It may have a (small) monthly cost, but the quality of programming is head and shoulders above free, ad-supported radio.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:06 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,073,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
About five months after KLOL got killed, I ended up doing a phone interview with Ken Charles, Houston regional vice president for programming for an unrelated matter. It took all the restraint I could muster to not go "WHY?" (probably to be followed by something more colorful that would probably earn me an infraction if I posted exactly what I was thinking of saying, word for word).

Even though KLOL was really a shell of its old self when the plug got pulled.

Terrestrial radio is dead.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 AM

52,741 posts, read 48,091,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Just get satellite radio. It may have a (small) monthly cost, but the quality of programming is head and shoulders above free, ad-supported radio.
I'd rather listen for free, but thanks, anyway. There's still something I appreciate about free radio, and there are still outlets and places and channels where things are actually still good. I still love both AM and FM. The medium can still offer something to me. Houston's still a fantastic market, but I just miss the "good ol' days".

Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 PM

18 posts, read 41,446 times
740 AM is the best and down to earth.
Here is a clip of me talking to joe pags in the morning on 740

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnpCDCQuPF4

Old 11-09-2008, 10:24 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,988,428 times
If you like sports, 1560am "The Game" is a good independent, locally owned station. Not screamers, which is nice compared to the national shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston