Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 AM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times

Advertisements

As a guy I pretty much see a doctor once every couple decades. I have recently been needing to do so and am very unimpressed with the level of service at any if the doctors I have seen. I have been reading about concierge doctors where you pay a monthly fee and get same day appointments, consultation by email and even house visits. Does anyone know of a service like this in Houston or NE suburbs area. I checked Google but only saw one down in Sugar Land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
As a guy I pretty much see a doctor once every couple decades. I have recently been needing to do so and am very unimpressed with the level of service at any if the doctors I have seen. I have been reading about concierge doctors where you pay a monthly fee and get same day appointments, consultation by email and even house visits. Does anyone know of a service like this in Houston or NE suburbs area. I checked Google but only saw one down in Sugar Land.
I don't know of any, but what a great idea!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times
if you find some post back with results, Ive also entertained the idea.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:09 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
If you don't go to the doctor much, I doubt it's worth it. We asked around and got some references for doctors and it's worked out great. Try that before shelling out the big bucks.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:35 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
My former Doc in Houston (before I moved to Plano) was an MDVIP doc. He also is a super doc and many of his patients are Doctor's families. I paid $1650 per year for my wife and the same for me. He is an internal medicine doc and incredibly good. The fee I pay annually is for a preventive focused annual physical and not reimbursed by insurance. His other services (labs every three months and other visits) are reimbursable. The MDVIP concept also guarantees access to gread docs across the country if you need them. You get a copy of your medical records in a credit card sized disc to carry with you. You get more time annually and he can focus on you as he cut his practice from over 2000 patients to around 600. My wife has a very complicated medical condition and he was the best we could find taking care of her needs. He is a bit of a savant with incredible memory of things he has read and a patients medical history and reaction to things. You also get access to him via email and his cell phone with this option. I was very happy with the concept and value but dropped it for another great doc up in Dallas area who isnt an MDVIP doc.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
on the news they covered this doctors story out in Katy. if you are the type of person that does not have chronic needs or the need to see/call a doctor for every little thing every other day it won't be worth it, unless you want to pay someone $5,000 a yr just in case.

im fit and healthy. ive never had a reason to complain about the annual physical process or any treatment I have ever needed. I have Baylor College of Medicine doctors. since I live close to the city it is a quick trip to the drop in clinic and the faculty on staff next door for regular visits and referrals are easy-peasy. try getting a new doctor first and help keep the practice of medicine about the practice of medicine

Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
My former Doc in Houston (before I moved to Plano) was an MDVIP doc. He also is a super doc and many of his patients are Doctor's families. I paid $1650 per year for my wife and the same for me. He is an internal medicine doc and incredibly good. The fee I pay annually is for a preventive focused annual physical and not reimbursed by insurance. His other services (labs every three months and other visits) are reimbursable. The MDVIP concept also guarantees access to gread docs across the country if you need them. You get a copy of your medical records in a credit card sized disc to carry with you. You get more time annually and he can focus on you as he cut his practice from over 2000 patients to around 600. My wife has a very complicated medical condition and he was the best we could find taking care of her needs. He is a bit of a savant with incredible memory of things he has read and a patients medical history and reaction to things. You also get access to him via email and his cell phone with this option. I was very happy with the concept and value but dropped it for another great doc up in Dallas area who isnt an MDVIP doc.
My friends in the medical field say that super doc and super dentist is a marketting gimmick. In fact, if you see a plaque on their wall, it's probably a sign to run. Your doc was probably the excepttion, but a lot of bad docs are super docs. They have to pay for that plaque on their wall and for taking out ads in the paper. Which doctor/dentist is going to nominate their competition down the road as best doctor?

Super Lawyers under attack for their Super Doctors : Real Lawyers Have Blogs

Also, unless you are sick, why are labs ran every 3mths? Because insurnace will pay for it. Just like dental cleanings, the doctors recommend every 6 mths, regardless if you have a foul mourth or a super healthy one, because that's how often insurance pays for it.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:07 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
I just heard about White Glove House call Health. Might want to look into them

Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
There is an excellent medical service as part of the Kelsey-Seybold clinic on Holcombe (yes, I know what you're thinking, Kelsey-Seybold is a joke, but stick with me here ). It's the Mavis Kelsey clinic, a separate practice inside the larger KS clinic. It has what they call an "executive level" service, but it's basically concierge service. It costs about $500/year extra to join, and beyond that, it's mostly covered by insurance (the $500 is not). You get one super-duper checkup a year, plus visits any time you need them. As another middle-aged male who rarely needs to see the doc, I value being able to get in when I want. The two times I have needed them in the last 5-6 years, I was able to get an appointment that very day, no questions asked. And the wait time once I arrived... about 3 minutes.

Bottom line is the $500 keeps the practice size small, so when you need to see them, their scedule has more availability than the usual medical practice. And the annual super-duper checkup is something we should all do--full stress test, chest x-ray, EKG, hearing, full blood workup, etc.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I've been using them 5-6 years, maybe longer, and am very happy. Yeah, the $500 is a waste for someone who rarely needs a doc, but my time is more valuable than my money, so it's worth it to me.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:02 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
My friends in the medical field say that super doc and super dentist is a marketting gimmick. In fact, if you see a plaque on their wall, it's probably a sign to run. Your doc was probably the excepttion, but a lot of bad docs are super docs. They have to pay for that plaque on their wall and for taking out ads in the paper. Which doctor/dentist is going to nominate their competition down the road as best doctor?

Super Lawyers under attack for their Super Doctors : Real Lawyers Have Blogs

Also, unless you are sick, why are labs ran every 3mths? Because insurnace will pay for it. Just like dental cleanings, the doctors recommend every 6 mths, regardless if you have a foul mourth or a super healthy one, because that's how often insurance pays for it.
As with anything one must look at the process used to determine a super doc. Some seem to be for purchase, others seem to be based upon peer review. Wish we all had your friends so we could just ask them for the right solution.

Your simplistic approach to medicine tells me you dont have a wife with two chronic life threatening ailments nor heart problems requiring meds to avoid the heart issues but you must watch for side effects on kidney/liver etc.

Thanks for your 2 cents that is what it was worth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston