Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:55 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_of_Bristol View Post
Sorry. My bad.

I still think that a BA in international studies looks better from A&M.

Especially, like I said, if he ever wants to live and work somewhere other than Houston (or apply to graduate school).
Really? A&M has that great of a reputation?

I just figured that a BBA Finance/Accounting from the UH Bauer Business School would've looked better than a straight BA in International Studies from the College of Arts at A&M with a years worth of finance/accounting courses at Mays Business.

BBA Finance/Accounting from UH Bauer

OR

BA International Studies with a years worth of finance/accounting courses at Mays
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 12:56 PM

235 posts, read 360,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Really? A&M has that great of a reputation?

I just figured that a BBA Finance/Accounting from the UH Bauer Business School would've looked better than a straight BA in International Studies from the College of Arts at A&M with a years worth of finance/accounting courses at Mays Business.

BBA Finance/Accounting from UH Bauer

OR

BA International Studies with a years worth of finance/accounting courses at Mays
A&M is definitely ranked higher. For all their faults, the rankings still matter.

Anyway, like I said, the alumni network for A&M is massive in Houston. It will not be a problem getting connected with alumni here.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_of_Bristol View Post
A&M is definitely ranked higher. For all their faults, the rankings still matter.

Anyway, like I said, the alumni network for A&M is massive in Houston. It will not be a problem getting connected with alumni here.
The thing is if he should rely on the amazing network having a semi-practical degree for a job, or rely on a fully practical degree from a lesser ranked school with a mediocre alumni base?

That's the issue at hand. If you say A&M has that great of a reputation and that great of an alumni base that he should pass up the more practical degree then of course I'd tell him to stay.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times
Quote:
I keep hearing that UH is the best kept secret in TX and that in a few years time a UH degree will be seen as near to a UT-Austin or A&M degree. Is this true? It seems like UH is investing a lot of time and money into the school.

I would think that the alumni network would be strong, no?
Well they are tightening admissions at UH and the long term goal is to become as strong as UT or ATM. But that won't happen in a few years. The university is expanding. Lots of construction going on. They bought up an old Schlumberger headquarters and turned it into an energy research park. And the long term goal is to attain flagship status. Still a long ways to go, however. UH doesn't get anywhere near the funding that UT and ATM do.

ATM is a better school overall, and certainly the Aggie network will be stronger, but there are still advantages to be had at UH. Bauer is still considered a very good business school. But in this case, it sounds better to stay at ATM.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Well they are tightening admissions at UH and the long term goal is to become as strong as UT or ATM. But that won't happen in a few years. The university is expanding. Lots of construction going on. And the long term goal is to attain flagship status. Still a long ways to go, however.

How long? I wouldn't mind getting a graduate degree myself while the admissions are not as tight yet and the tuition low.

I would think investing in one now would be the best bet.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
It's nothing really relevant to the Houston boom. It's International Studies, but he's sticking around a year to get the international business concentration. He'll study business, finance and accounting. He feels that since it's not like a BBA or BBA Finance/Accounting it wouldn't matter much if he switched schools.

I told him that regardless the Aggie Network is strong and he should finish and get his accounting/finance courses. I told him to also take advantage of the free courses in Excel, Powerpoint and Word Houston has to offer at various community centers. Get office skills in case he has to take an admin assistant job.

What do you guys think?
Here's how the story goes, as I've know it for several decades.

What do you call an Aggie after ten years on the job?

Boss

Old 12-13-2012, 06:39 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
It isn't that Aggies are all brilliant, just that they look out for each other. But that's worth a lot.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:48 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
It isn't that Aggies are all brilliant, just that they look out for each other. But that's worth a lot.

this.

houston is full of aggies. You cant drive by a sheep pasture without seeing a few
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston