Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 AM

114 posts, read 146,219 times

Advertisements

Hi to everyone,

my name is Paolo and I'm... Italian!

I'm currently living and working in Azerbaijan (UK, Kazakhstan, UAE) before than this and I just got the great news that I'll be very soon relocated to Houston.
I only need to wait my visa issue, that should take approximately couple of months

I'm on these days searching on internet a good website to get some info on Houston and I just stambled on this forum. There is a huge amount of info! So I decided to sign up

My office is in Sping Valley area and during my first year in the USA I'll not be allowed to buy an house, so only rental for now...

May I ask you some suggestion about:

- best area where to rent a house (my budget is $1000-$1400)
- best fitness center and crossfit gym in the area

Furthermore I've a doubt... in Italy we call supermarket the huge markets where to buy groceries, drinks, etc.. how do you call them in the States? Superstore? Malls? And what are the best ones in Houston?

And then most important question... a part to wark, what to do in Houston???

Thank you very much to anyone whants to leave his feedback!

Bye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:29 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,967,929 times
Plenty of large apartment complexes in Houston that could suit your needs. If you're a city type, the heights or rice military/Washington Abe
Could suit you. If you're a suburban type, the energy corridor/memorial is a good place to look. And if you just want to have a very short commute (<10 min) then check out spring branch area around bunker hill/blalock/bingle roads. All of the areas are right off of interstate 10 which makes commuting quick.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Plenty of large apartment complexes in Houston that could suit your needs. If you're a city type, the heights or rice military/Washington Abe
Could suit you. If you're a suburban type, the energy corridor/memorial is a good place to look. And if you just want to have a very short commute (<10 min) then check out spring branch area around bunker hill/blalock/bingle roads. All of the areas are right off of interstate 10 which makes commuting quick.
Thanks.
What do you think about the indicated budget?
May be it fine for a good place in that areas?

This is probably a stupid question: where is it basically the difference in terms of advantages/disadvanatges between an apartment in a complex and an house?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 AM

998 posts, read 1,069,776 times
Ciao Paolo,

De dove sei en Italia?

You will like it in Houston, There is a sizable Italian and Italian American community in Houston. Most of the Italian Americans here come from either the New York/New Jersey area or their family orginally immigratd into New Orleans/Galveston before making it here. The two types of Italian Americans are a little different based on their familie's journey so I'm just pointing it out.

There is also an active Italan American Cultural Center in the Museum district so I would check that out. They frequently show Italian movies, hold festivals, and have language classes and other events. And as you probably know, there is an Italian embassy in Uptown.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Houston. I'd be happy to help.

Piacere

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloC View Post
Hi to everyone,

my name is Paolo and I'm... Italian!

I'm currently living and working in Azerbaijan (UK, Kazakhstan, UAE) before than this and I just got the great news that I'll be very soon relocated to Houston.
I only need to wait my visa issue, that should take approximately couple of months

I'm on these days searching on internet a good website to get some info on Houston and I just stambled on this forum. There is a huge amount of info! So I decided to sign up

My office is in Sping Valley area and during my first year in the USA I'll not be allowed to buy an house, so only rental for now...

May I ask you some suggestion about:

- best area where to rent a house (my budget is $1000-$1400)
- best fitness center and crossfit gym in the area

Furthermore I've a doubt... in Italy we call supermarket the huge markets where to buy groceries, drinks, etc.. how do you call them in the States? Superstore? Malls? And what are the best ones in Houston?

And then most important question... a part to wark, what to do in Houston???

Thank you very much to anyone whants to leave his feedback!

Bye

Old 12-12-2012, 12:33 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,635,820 times
Yes, I was surprised at how many Italian were in the Houston area. Not just Italian Americans, but Italian-Italians.

So Paolo you will have an amazing time in Houston. It's a good introduction to making a living for yourself too. You will build yourself up and be able to carry that wherever else you want to move on to.

Houston is what you make of it. You can retire to a life of working, doing some things like working out, shopping and then go to sleep, repeat the process. OR you can really look at take advantage of all the new things Houston has incorporated into it's urban fabric. Lots of people from NYC, LA, Europe changing up the vibe in the urban core, making it more vibrant. It's not NYC or LA but it's better than the TX burbs. Try Boheme on Fairview in the Montrose community to start. Then Etro lounge and check out all the music shows, art shows, cinema screenings, etc. Houston has a lot it's just smaller and more word of mouth kind of stuff.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Ciao Paolo,

De dove sei en Italia?

You will like it in Houston, There is a sizable Italian and Italian American community in Houston. Most of the Italian Americans here come from either the New York/New Jersey area or their family orginally immigratd into New Orleans/Galveston before making it here. The two types of Italian Americans are a little different based on their familie's journey so I'm just pointing it out.

There is also an active Italan American Cultural Center in the Museum district so I would check that out. They frequently show Italian movies, hold festivals, and have language classes and other events. And as you probably know, there is an Italian embassy in Uptown.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Houston. I'd be happy to help.

Piacere
Thank for your reply H'ton.
I'm originally from Teramo, Abruzzo... on the Adriatic sea.
But I left the place about 6 years ago, following the Oil&Gas world...

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely have a look at those things. My wife will be very happy!

Do you know what's the best way to get involved or anyway to meet someone from these communities?

Bye

Old 12-12-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Yes, I was surprised at how many Italian were in the Houston area. Not just Italian Americans, but Italian-Italians.

So Paolo you will have an amazing time in Houston. It's a good introduction to making a living for yourself too. You will build yourself up and be able to carry that wherever else you want to move on to.

Houston is what you make of it. You can retire to a life of working, doing some things like working out, shopping and then go to sleep, repeat the process. OR you can really look at take advantage of all the new things Houston has incorporated into it's urban fabric. Lots of people from NYC, LA, Europe changing up the vibe in the urban core, making it more vibrant. It's not NYC or LA but it's better than the TX burbs. Try Boheme on Fairview in the Montrose community to start. Then Etro lounge and check out all the music shows, art shows, cinema screenings, etc. Houston has a lot it's just smaller and more word of mouth kind of stuff.
Thank you
To be honest... too many Italians around is not a very good thing

By the way, I'm really looking forward for my moving and I really hope to can have a very good time and life

Technical question: what is in your opinion more preferable in terms of problems, social life, freedom etc. between an house and an apartment in a residence with pool, gym, etc?

Thanks again

Old 12-12-2012, 01:38 PM

235 posts, read 361,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloC View Post
Thank you
To be honest... too many Italians around is not a very good thing

By the way, I'm really looking forward for my moving and I really hope to can have a very good time and life

Technical question: what is in your opinion more preferable in terms of problems, social life, freedom etc. between an house and an apartment in a residence with pool, gym, etc?

Thanks again
Welcome.

Apartments in a complex can be, as we say, "hit or miss." Some are nice. Some are not so nice.

If it is just you and your wife, I would suggest living in an apartment initially until you better learn the area and what you both want.

Areas I would suggest would be the Galleria/Uptown area (lot of taller apartment buildings; very nice; international crowd).

City Centre area (a couple of nicer, mid-level apartment buildings with easy access to a very nice gym - Lifetime Fitness City Centre).

Midtown (several mid-level apartments, younger crowd, farther distance from work but one of the few neighborhoods in Houston where you can walk to many amenities).

One question (and I apologize if I missed this), are you going to have a car?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:22 PM

561 posts, read 974,100 times
Paolo I have a good question...

Have you ever been to the United States? Your English seems very good so I'm guessing you've already been here.

Houston truly is what you make it. It isn't NYC or Chicago or LA. There aren't things that are happening everywhere and you just walk outside of your door and its there. You have to look for it.

But first things first, GET YOURSELF A CAR! Unlike Europe there is no major public transportation support. Driving is the only way to go. Thats my advice.

Then you can check out things to do and events to attend, talk to co-workers, go online and see if there is an event you can attend.

There are alot of soccer (or non-american) football leagues you can join, there are people from all over the world (mostly nigeria and the middle-east) that play and I know you italians are crazy about soccer.

Houston is a major city but it's nothing like Europe, people usually dont walk to the local coffee shop, or go down to the local bar to hang out; people drive, and drive to go see things and enjoy restaurants. Some live in certain areas to only need to walk, but usually there aren't many that live in a close enough area to do that. So be ready for that.

Good luck man.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_of_Bristol View Post
Welcome.

Apartments in a complex can be, as we say, "hit or miss." Some are nice. Some are not so nice.

If it is just you and your wife, I would suggest living in an apartment initially until you better learn the area and what you both want.

Areas I would suggest would be the Galleria/Uptown area (lot of taller apartment buildings; very nice; international crowd).

City Centre area (a couple of nicer, mid-level apartment buildings with easy access to a very nice gym - Lifetime Fitness City Centre).

Midtown (several mid-level apartments, younger crowd, farther distance from work but one of the few neighborhoods in Houston where you can walk to many amenities).

One question (and I apologize if I missed this), are you going to have a car?
Thanks for your tips!
Are you from Bristol? I lived for a couple of years in Bath and we were very often in Bristol

Probably not being american is not that easy for me to very well explain what I meant, sorry.
The apartments I'm talking about are the ones that you usually find in green area, with a central pool and garden surrounded by apartments. Could this solution represent a good alternative?

Thanks

Yes, I'm going to buy a car... I was actually looking for a Infiniti 35... but a little bit expensive considering my very low interest for cars. I'll probably go for a Jeep Wrangler. Talking about this, any tips for cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston