Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 01:46 PM

701 posts, read 1,564,453 times

Advertisements

I'm Black/Hispanic and I was raised in Missouri City, which imo is more diverse than Sugar Land when it comes to the Black and Hispanic population. I went to Sugar Land schools and it is true that SL is more white than Missouri City, but I did not feel like I stuck out when I was in the halls (sitting in class was another story). There are areas of SL that are more white than others, such as the older areas around US 90, but it evens out as you get back to the SL/MC borders. Sienna Plantation is a community that is very mixed among the ethnic lines and all races are represented well there, so I think you're on the right track with settling there.

As for the Asian diversity in Mo.City, it definitely exists. The Asian community here is mainly Chinese, Vietnamese, and Filipino with (in my experience) the Chinese mainly in SL, Vietnamese stretched between both cities, and Filipinos mostly in MC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,327,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
So you think about "race" 24/7, don't you? That's pretty pathetic, imo. Get over yourself.
That's where you're wrong. Why would I want to move to an area that's predominately one race? When I eventually start a family, I want my kid to be around people of all different colors because that's what the world is made up of. I have friends of multiple backgrounds, I judge people by their character not their skin color. You just don't get it.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM

105 posts, read 376,167 times
Wink You'll love Sugar land

I moved to Sugar land in 2011 from Chicago, one of the most segregated cities in America, and as a black woman with 2 children I can't say enough good things about Sugarland. Yes we are definitely a minority BUT I don't feel like an outcast nor are we treated any differently. My children attended Settlers Way and First Colony Middle School. Now the elementary school was surprisingly diverse with as many cultures that you can possibly name. First Colony seems to be a bit more "even" if you can call it that. But either way my children don't feel any "pressures" or ill behaviors. When we first moved here we rented a house and THANK GOD FOR THAT cause that sucker started flooding. If I had purchased I'd be one pissed sister so I encourage newcomers to rent first then buy. From renting that first year I've come to learn about the different areas which you really have to be here to get a feel for where you want to actually buy. While living in the rental house prior to the flooding we were the only AA on the block but it didn't matter because everyone was so nice. We had Chinese neighbors that brought us homegrown veggies and neighbors from Croatia that our children played with for hours. So you'll be fine in Sugarland. I wouldn't live any other place. Now it is expensive in Sugarland no lie... But you're paying for excellent schools, great property values, etc.

Sidebar: After jumping ship on the flipping Titanic house I'm renting at Regency Apartments. We have great neighbors (Indian, white, black, Hispanic). NO problems except all the dang children playing in the parking lot because there isn't a park on the premises. So even in the apartments diversity and friendliness are hand in hand.
Moving to Regency opened my eyes to Telfair which I'd never seen but only heard of... So glad I have time to really investigate where to buy. I drive around sometimes and see new subdivisions and eventually I'll narrow down my search. Once I buy I want to stay put for at least 7 years.... I digress. Sorry..
Sugarland is a great place to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston