Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:23 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,136,890 times

Advertisements

I never heard such a pile of BS in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,773,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
To me, this post seems like someone who couldn't afford the Ferrari and had to settle for a Camaro...

And now their justifying it.

Not that there's nothing wrong with the Camaro, a great fun car, heck I wish I could afford one, but its not a Ferrari.

I think most people in Houston and Texas agree.. if they could afford to live in Cali or NYC or Boston, they would. And for those that can afford it, they prefer to have a ginormous house instead of the chic condo downtown. And if someone would like to disprove me, do it objectively and without using any financial shortcomings.

Houston has many millionaires and billionaires that could easily disprove that point, but in general the people of the top 2% are more so in Beverly Hills or the Hamptons. And those types of folks tend to gravitate toward that type of a lifestyle.. Why? because they could afford the red-shiny Ferrari and they bought it.

And another thing, how many people have fancy, lavish, fast cars on their desktops or kids on their walls?

Many! And these desires are wildly impractical. So whats wrong with someone that wants the SoCal or the Urban NYC lifestyle and dreams of either going back or ending up there someday?

Except for the people that are born and raised here there are few people that desire to end up in SE Texas or in Texas in general. Unless they are looking for a better life for their family. Why? Because its much more practical and reachable.

*sigh*

My point is that people aren't here for the fun, hip, chic, etc. lifestyle, and those immeasurables are not calculated in the "QUALITY OF LIFE". People are here to buy a house and better their lives because one day they dream of the Ferrari but for now the more practical life makes the most sense and there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that.
I love beating people with the facts. It's fun and healthy.

So here you go.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/bl...lionaires.html

Big Rich Texas: Billionaires Love Living Here | TM Daily Post

So based on your theory, if one is a billionaire, obviously cost of living is not a concern and they can live anywhere. So pray tell why 47 billionaires live here? And sure, many of them made their fortunes in the energy sector, but surely they could live anywhere right? And what about people like Mark Cuban? John Arnold (he's retired now in his mid 30's). What about all the hollywood celebs that live in Austin?

And let's don't even try to count the millionaires.

OK, this will clue you in:

How Many of the "One Percent" Live in Texas? | TM Daily Post

Your theory is total garbage and the facts back me up on that.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,136,890 times
Jek74, good info but really, why bother responding to such drivel.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:10 PM

561 posts, read 973,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I love beating people with the facts. It's fun and healthy.

So here you go.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/bl...lionaires.html

Big Rich Texas: Billionaires Love Living Here | TM Daily Post

So based on your theory, if one is a billionaire, obviously cost of living is not a concern and they can live anywhere. So pray tell why 47 billionaires live here? And sure, many of them made their fortunes in the energy sector, but surely they could live anywhere right? And what about people like Mark Cuban? John Arnold (he's retired now in his mid 30's). What about all the hollywood celebs that live in Austin?

And let's don't even try to count the millionaires.

OK, this will clue you in:

How Many of the "One Percent" Live in Texas? | TM Daily Post

Your theory is total garbage and the facts back me up on that.
Most people live where they made their fortunes... you haven't proven your point except that people live where they make their money. Cuban moved to Dallas far before he made his money, and stayed there and bought the NBA team.

John Arnold moved here to work for Enron and then did it in Energy...

If you're saying that a good portion1% live here then yes they do.. But if you're saying the MOVE here then you would be wrong.

Name the hollywood celebs that live in Austin and are from somewhere else?

My point wasn't that there weren't any rich people in Texas; my point was that rich people dont move here after their rich.

Where did I ever say that rich folks dont live in Texas?

And that last link.. furthur proves my point. The top 3 places that the top 1% live... NYC, LA and SF

Guess where Houston is.. number 6 and most of them made their money in Houston doing the biggest show in town.. ENERGY.. .

Which is a different scenario for the 1%'ers in LA, SF and NYC.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,579,618 times
I think we could solve these questions with a simple survey that has a question such as:

"If there were abundant oil in these four cities/regions, which one would you chose to live in?"

A. Chicago
B. Houston
C. New York City
D. Anywhere in California

Anyone want to wager me that Houston would come in 4th?

I highly doubt it.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I think we could solve these questions with a simple survey that has a question such as:

"If there were abundant oil in these four cities/regions, which one would you chose to live in?"

A. Chicago
B. Houston
C. New York City
D. Anywhere in California

Anyone want to wager me that Houston would come in 4th?

I highly doubt it.
Wow, that is absurd. I mean really absurd. First of all, most people in Houston do NOT work in oil and gas. FACT. Second, energy trading itself is pretty big in NY. More oil is traded in NY then Houston for example. And here's a little heads up, Houston is NOT an oil town. It's a nat gas town. A majority of the oil in the world is traded and marketed in Switzerland and London with NY coming in 3rd. FACT.

As for Chicago, did you know that Chicago has been LOSING population every decade since 1930 and in 2010 there were actually fewer people in Chicago then during the great depression? Do you really think the people that are leaving CA for TX right now are leaving to work in oil and gas or because of taxes?

And did you not see this article where the rich are fleeing NY for West Palm Beach?

Finance industry running from high taxes to the warmth of the Sunshine State - NYPOST.com

The reason? Taxes.

People are leaving NY, CA and Chicago and heading south. They are NOT just going to TX. They are moving to Charlotte, Atlanta, South FL, Dallas, Houston, Nashville and Raleigh.

Now please show me some FACTS, that tell me I'm wrong.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:26 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,579,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Wow, that is absurd. I mean really absurd. First of all, most people in Houston do NOT work in oil and gas. FACT. Second, energy trading itself is pretty big in NY. More oil is traded in NY then Houston for example. And here's a little heads up, Houston is NOT an oil town. It's a nat gas town. A majority of the oil in the world is traded and marketed in Switzerland and London with NY coming in 3rd. FACT.

As for Chicago, did you know that Chicago has been LOSING population every decade since 1930 and in 2010 there were actually fewer people in Chicago then during the great depression? Do you really think the people that are leaving CA for TX right now are leaving to work in oil and gas or because of taxes?

And did you not see this article where the rich are fleeing NY for West Palm Beach?

Finance industry running from high taxes to the warmth of the Sunshine State - NYPOST.com

The reason? Taxes.

People are leaving NY, CA and Chicago and heading south. They are NOT just going to TX. They are moving to Charlotte, Atlanta, South FL, Dallas, Houston, Nashville and Raleigh.

Now please show me some FACTS, that tell me I'm wrong.
Phoenix among top moving destinations of 2012 - Phoenix Business Journal

Look at 5 and 6.

Apparently, they are also headed to Chicago. And Chicago is taxed to the hilt.

As for people leaving CA, it's a combination of many things. But, as a previous poster mentioned, a lot of people go from TX to CA. Why would that be?

Also, you didn't even answer the multiple choice question.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:

Look at 5 and 6.

As for people leaving CA, it's a combination of many things. But, as a previous poster mentioned, a lot of people go from TX to CA. Why would that be?

Let me help you out here. Chicago has one of the largest government payrolls in the country. A LOT of people move to Chicago to work for government. Both at the federal, state, county and city level. Chicago is all about government. So yes, people work there and move there to get that 120k a year salary and million dollar pension paid for by tax dollars. Not a bad gig. Sure beats working for a living. Also that link you cited was just measuring the total of people moving to those cities. It did not net out those that were leaving.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:

Look at 5 and 6.

Here you go. Don't spit out your coffee.

Packing Up: Where People Are Moving In and Out - Housing - The Atlantic Cities

Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,569,119 times
I left Houston for LA. It wasn't about money or taxes, I can make enough out here to live well, not as well as I did in Houston, but for me the trade off was worth it for mountains to climb, beaches to lounge, sunshine to get fried by (Seriously, long-time SoCal folks look like raisins).

Houston is where I got my education, the skills I needed, the experience and recommendations to go where I wanted. There is a lot that I miss about it. Leaving a place doesn't mean it's not as good, it just means you found (or think you've found) somewhere that is a better fit for the life or opportunities you want.

I love Houston, I love LA. I live here for now. Our local Fox station out here in LA had a huge series of segments on why people are moving to Texas and why the Texas situation is much better (their opinion). But that's also FOX news doing what FOX news does. People immigrate, migrate, find better opportunities, etc... I don't think it needs to be a "which is better" argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston