Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by obanlass View Post
Well, thank you all for your input - even though it is all a bit depressing

We just went driving around Rice / West U last night and know that is where we want to be. But husband is determined to ride from somewhere so we may have to pick somewhere closer. Will look up your suggested routes
You should also drive around the Memorial area. I think you'll find the same beauty in that community as you found in Rice/West U.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 01:49 PM

125 posts, read 203,926 times
Braeswood and the Brays Bayou trail to S. Rice is good advice, though long. Brompton is a good option for getting to Braeswood, a bit less busy than the other big N-S streets.

Bellaire to S. Rice is shorter. Obviously stay on the back streets of West U as long as possible to avoid Bellaire.

Even shorter would be to take the back streets of West U to Community, get on Bissonnet briefly, jog over to Fournace and take that to S. Rice. Fournace isn't too heavily traveled. But that short stretch on Bissonnet is problematic.

It's too bad there isn't an off road bike trail connecting the quiet streets of West U and Bellaire, across the train tracks.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:14 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,883 times
I walk to work in Galleria/Uptown. I could bike, but have avoided that (frankly walking is stressful enough).

But, if one can find a good route and is prepared to stay constantly focused on one's surroundings, I think it can be done. If coming from West U, I would consider using Edloe to go north because it has an overpass that simplifies crossing 59; also, it seems to have less traffic. Once N of 59, there aren't many options for going W: maybe just Richmond, W Alabama, or Westheimer. I think W Alabama would be safest, but it doesn’t go all the way W, so you’d need to connect with one of the other 2 streets for that.

As far as alternative places to stay, I'd nix staying farther W on Memorial. (While biking, I was once hit by a car on the Memorial hike & bike trail.) The only attractive areas from which I'd say biking to would be relatively easy would be the closer parts NW of Galleria: S of Buffalo Bayou, N of Westheimer, and E of Voss/Hillcroft.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,883 times
Oh, and I'd also consider the S. Rice option, too, depending on your starting point. My guess is, if living relatively to the E, Edloe would be better; if living farther W, then S. Rice.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:38 PM

644 posts, read 1,353,425 times
I spend about 2 hours a day or more on my bike in the loop and sometimes outside the loop. But, the Galleria is one place I don't enjoy riding my bike. It can be done, but your husband will likely have to take a longer route to work to avoid bad areas and then in the end can't avoid the final destination. But, don't be discouraged! Like I said, I ride everyday and I have to ride in areas of the loop most would say is not bike friendly. I'm very aware of my surroundings and I make sure I'm super visible. One thing I haven't really experienced here is aggression or anger toward cyclists from the motorists.

It would help a lot if your husband could find someone else to meet up with and bike to work together. Two cyclists are more visible than one.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2012, 01:36 PM

381 posts, read 1,092,801 times
Will your DH be able to take a shower at work before work begins? He'll probably arrive at work sweaty most months of the year in Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: