Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2006, 04:08 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,829 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I'm interested in finding out what it's like to live in Tomball or Humble? Schools, Outdoor Activities, Scenery, Shopping, Restaurants, Medical Centers? Any Comments would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 09:35 PM

95 posts, read 434,406 times
what kind of surroundings are you looking for? I'm PERSONALLY choose tomball between the two- Humble is kinda run down to me....... I'm SURE there are areas that aren't, but I just have that impression of it. Tomball is growing fast, lots of new things there. The hospital there almost killed me so I don't have anything good to say about it.....lol. But there is one. Either one you could find "country" type living. Neither is a big city. I don't think either offer much as far as outdoor activities (too hot to go outside anyway! lol). Both have a mall pretty close. Actually- in all reality- not a TON of a difference. Just personal preference would have me choose Tomball. JMO! Something about the East side of I-45 (where you would find Humble).....a stigma that is slow to change around here.

If you worked the west side of houston Tomball would be a good place- access to 249 and 290. If you worked on the east side of houston, humble may be better (access to 59).

If you have more specific questions I'll try to help!

Old 09-27-2006, 10:03 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,829 times
Thanks for the info. They both sound a little small for my taste. I've been doing a lot of reading on Katy too and that sounds a bit more to my liking. I think that might be the place for us. I was really leaning towards Katy but I was just curious what they were like. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:12 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,385 times
Katy, Humble, & Tomball all kind of have a faux-small town thing going. They have long ago been absorbed into Houston's urban sprawl.

IMO Humble seems the most isolated. There isn't anything of much merit to the south of it. The areas to the north and west don't offer much. Lake Houston is to the east. If you are going out to eat or shopping, you have to do it pretty much right there, or travel a long ways for many other options. Locals may be able to offer insights into things there that I don't know about though.

Tomball by contrast does seem to have a little better access to shopping amenities. Woodlands Mall & Willowbrook mall are both relatively close, and the 1960 area does have a decent share of retail & restaurant development.

Katy is very popular, but Tomball is more wooded where Katy is generally a prairie. The construction on the Katy Freeway would be enough to make me consider other areas, but that is just me. You do have some shopping options with Katy Mills, West Oaks, and other things in the Memorial area. Since Houston's development tends to lean west, especially in upscale homes in the Memorial area, you would have easier access to things like Memorial City, the Galleria, and Town & Country. (On the occassions when you are wanting to do that sort of thing).

You may want to consider Pearland area or Clear Lake also.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:03 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
I think the two nicest suburb cities of Houston are Sugar Land and the Woodlands. Of course there are other options, those two just really try to be their own cities, have regulations, etc... instead of just being outcroppings of Houston.

The problems with the northern areas of Houston like Spring, Tomball, etc is that FM 1960 is billboard city, no building regulations, no attempt at making things look nice. Drive down it and it looks like a mish-mash of ugly strip centers and tall ugly signs. Louetta Rd is becoming the same way. And don't even get me started on I-45 on the north side of town.

At least in the Woodlands they kept all the trees and you don't see billboards and tall ugly signs everywhere. And Sugar Land has a zoning law that no signs can be taller than a certain amount of feet. You will see zero billboards, and business signs are practically on the ground. Just contrast what Hwy 6 (1960) on the north side of town looks like, compared to Hwy 6 in Sugar Land / Missouri City. Quite a difference, does not even look like the same metro...

Katy is probably somewhere between these two extremes.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:31 PM

95 posts, read 434,406 times
I'd agree with everything said here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston