Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 05:54 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,772,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Really dude? What about the cultural experience? Everybody likes to eat out. I think it is a neat hobby to do with your kid.
Yeah, it's a neat hobby for a rich person. There's a lot of really cool and "neat" things you can do for your kids when your rich. It's funny David, you seemed like the kind of guy that would resent rich people. Or is it just rich white people you resent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,795,900 times
Poor people eat too? I think some of their food taste even better :-) I know I am gonna take a lot of heat for this comment but is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Yeah, it's a neat hobby for a rich person. There's a lot of really cool and "neat" things you can do for your kids when your rich. It's funny David, you seemed like the kind of guy that would resent rich people. Or is it just rich white people you resent?

Old 09-10-2012, 07:29 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,231,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I guess these "lists" are left up for interpretation. Last one I read this year had the Houston Metro area as #1 in the nation. Go figure.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:07 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,919,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I would say DC,NY,Miami are pretty much on the same level or have more diversity then Houston just from my experiences.
If you include the suburbs...maybe.

Cities proper? Hell nawwwwwww

Quote:
You are never going to overcome racism until people start living together and becoming tolerant of each other.
Which seems to be the case in the suburbs, but I'm still uncertain about the city proper. But then again, this is the same case for certain other cities (SF, LA, DC, Miami, etc)

Maybe racism is more of an every-other-generation lap, with the baby boomers/Gen Y urban dwellers being the more racist group than the Gen X/Gen-Z dominated suburbs.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 09-10-2012 at 08:32 PM..

Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 PM

830 posts, read 1,730,120 times
Why did we get into a discussion criticizing taking a kid out to eat? sounds like a really cool idea for the kid.
I agree with the few other posters that also noted that racism tempers the praise that Houston gets for being diverse. It is one thing to have people of different races living in the same area and another thing to have people of different races having an influence on the society proportional to their size. Considering how LARGE the Latino population is in Houston, I would expect them to have more influence on the culture here, but they don't. Having the "powers that be" eating Tex-Mex and even authentic Latino food doesn't count.

However, I think Houston is much LESS racist than people outside of Texas assume.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,207,643 times
Quote:
Really dude? What about the cultural experience? Everybody likes to eat out. I think it is a neat hobby to do with your kid.
Thanks. As far as I know, Houston leads the country in frequency in eating out - 4.2 times a week. I don't think once or twice a week qualifies as "rich". In Houston, it means we were behind.

You can be creative with your kids. We spent one Saturday running all over town, taking pictures of the decorated cows (remember those?) - another of the decorated pelicans (same concept) in Seabrook - another of the odd things in Houston. My favorite is a street sign at the corner of Crest Dale and Dale Crest. I did not even have to get into the tuition money.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
Why did we get into a discussion criticizing taking a kid out to eat? sounds like a really cool idea for the kid.
I agree with the few other posters that also noted that racism tempers the praise that Houston gets for being diverse. It is one thing to have people of different races living in the same area and another thing to have people of different races having an influence on the society proportional to their size. Considering how LARGE the Latino population is in Houston, I would expect them to have more influence on the culture here, but they don't. Having the "powers that be" eating Tex-Mex and even authentic Latino food doesn't count.

However, I think Houston is much LESS racist than people outside of Texas assume.
What kind of influence do you want. Force everyone to speak Spanish? LOL

Old 09-10-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I have lived in and visited dozens of cities and SW Houston is the most diverse of all that I have seen. and That Includes, NY, Chicago, Miami, DC, Boston, Detroit, etc etc.

Even enclaves like 3rd ward, East End etc are more diverse than areas of many cities.
I agree with all except NYC. Ever been to Queens? Most diverse place on earth.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:19 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post

What more influence do you want them to have? The Latino population in Houston is pretty damn influential from my perspective.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,795,900 times
I think I just found the right name for them and I call them "Texicans" Please don't kill me now :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
What more influence do you want them to have? The Latino population in Houston is pretty damn influential from my perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston