Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 AM

44 posts, read 110,388 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am buying a house soon, and have been thinking about adding a pool in the back later. So my plan is to install sprinklers in the front but not in the back yard, that will save me the money and the work to tear them out if I put in the pool. Does that sound like the right way to do it?

Additionally, if I changed my mind about the pool, how difficult will it be to add sprinklers in the backyard?

Finally, is there anything I need to tell the builder in preparation for the pool? I know one thing is to make sure they don't run electrical cables diagonally across the yard. If you have any feedback or suggestions, would love to hear it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 01:44 PM

246 posts, read 896,989 times
No need to have pool at Houston, pool at house is small, 10m in length, not good for re-sell, fee to maintain and electricty cost you $200 per month, I was the victim

Old 08-19-2012, 01:50 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,703,803 times
You should add sprinklers to the complete yard. You can then set up the zones correctly. In the future you can re-route the lines around the pool using the backyard zones for the pool landscape. The pool will not add value to the property (questionable). And it is an ongoing expense. Will you actually use the pool enough to justify the expense.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
No need to have pool at Houston, pool at house is small, 10m in length, not good for re-sell, fee to maintain and electricty cost you $200 per month, I was the victim
John, why is it not good for resell? I understand having a pool will not add value to the house, it that what you mean?

Also, can you share how much is the maintenance fee? And $200 electricity fee, is that on top of what your household use monthly or is it total $200. I am trying to get as much information to help my decision. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
You should add sprinklers to the complete yard. You can then set up the zones correctly. In the future you can re-route the lines around the pool using the backyard zones for the pool landscape. The pool will not add value to the property (questionable). And it is an ongoing expense. Will you actually use the pool enough to justify the expense.
Thanks for the advice, didn't know can be done that way. I underastand the pool will not add value to the house. Your last question is what's bugging me too. Whether we will use it enought to justify the expense. This will probably be our last house, and there is no lake view. So I want to have a nice backyard view, that's why thinking of a pool. Also have a 3 year old who loves to swim...

Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,553,038 times
Last house? Save your money and join a community or club pool. By the time the kid is 5 they wont swim without lots of friends,by the time they are 12... Not at all unless at a club or on a team.

Pool maintanence is forever, babies arent

Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,061,083 times
I don't look at houses with pools but mainly because yards here are fairly small so I hate to walk outside in the back and it is nothing but a pool taking up the entire yard and no grass - no room to walk - just a big pool. If you have a big yard where the pool doesn't monopolize every square foot of ground, they are nice.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 PM

670 posts, read 1,447,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
Laughable. If you really think it costs 200 per month to maintain a pool, then I'm the Easter Bunny. MAYBE 20% avg of that per month for elec and chemicals. If you want the pool, get one. It absolutely does add value to the right buyer down the road, but does narrow down your buyer base who don't want a house with a pool.
Check out A Swimming Pool and Spa Care Forum • Trouble Free Pool
You'll find great info there, unlike info from john above.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:58 AM

504 posts, read 1,154,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtshd View Post
Hi all,

I am buying a house soon, and have been thinking about adding a pool in the back later. So my plan is to install sprinklers in the front but not in the back yard, that will save me the money and the work to tear them out if I put in the pool. Does that sound like the right way to do it?

Additionally, if I changed my mind about the pool, how difficult will it be to add sprinklers in the backyard?

Finally, is there anything I need to tell the builder in preparation for the pool? I know one thing is to make sure they don't run electrical cables diagonally across the yard. If you have any feedback or suggestions, would love to hear it. Thanks!

From my opinion, it depends on when you plan to build the pool. Yes, you may save a grand now by not installing sprinklers in the back, but how much is time your worth to go outside and haul a hose and sprinkler around?

It's not difficult to add sprinklers, I generally see them for around 300-400 per zone, depending on the size of your back yard, maybe 3 or 4 zones.

I'm not sure if the builder has control over where they lay the electrical hook-up but yes, if you can avoid having gas and electrical run through where a pool could be, it will save money when it's time to build.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:51 AM

834 posts, read 2,690,034 times
If you are unsure about adding backyard sprinklers now, ask the installer to get a control panel that hold for more zones than you are installing now (perhaps you can add the backyard zones later and still use the same control panel). About the pool....many people don't like pools in their yards, I get that (use of the space, value, liability, etc). But if your child loves water and you don't live near a neighborhood pool, YMCA, or the like, then get the pool..you will enjoy it enough. Most likely you enjoy water too and can continue using it yourself after "that age" when kids start disliking the pool. For cold weather get a pool heater. Account for all those monthly costs before making final decision.

Since your child is young be sure to have to pay extra attention to the child and his/her outings to the backyard. Enroll your child in swimming lessons or teach him yourself. Have chimes/bells on your doors to know if they opened them. Gate the pool as well. Also, if your backyard gates don't have locks, lock them - you don't want your own children or other neighbor's kids going in the pool without you knowing (safety/liability).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston