Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:20 AM

22 posts, read 73,105 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

We just built a 4100sqft house in Shadow Creek Ranch and have an opportunity to get a great deal on a all out gunite in-groundpool with all the trimmings (raised Waterfall, travertine, VS Pumps, led lights, 35x15) for $25k. The home currently is appraised for $315k. Out of the 50-60 houses in my neigborhood around 4-5 have pools also.

The question is will it help raise property value if any here down south?

We are 50/50 on getting the pool but if we can retain any of our initial investment we would consider it. Any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 11:59 AM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
$25k for a pool with all option described? Hard to believe.... too good to be true?

Old 09-28-2013, 05:21 PM

22 posts, read 73,105 times
My friend is building it for me as a favor at his cost.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:26 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times
Lots of debate on other strings regarding pool costs/benefits. If you will use it, okay with ongoing maintenance, and they can blend it nicely with lot - - probably worth it, and will add value at that neighborhood price range.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:46 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
If somebody is looking for a pool when buying then yeah it would possibly add to the value, but definitely add to the sellability to that buyer. I personally didnt even go look at two very nice houses because they had pools, too much maintenance.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:51 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,019,617 times
If you are getting it at cost you'll probably break even or just take a slight loss when you sell. Highly doubtful you will gain. Your bigger issue for resale will be Shadow Creek itself. There's always been high inventory there and it was sort of a telling sign that this summer when a lot of the rest of the Houston area was white hot, that Shadow Creek inventory levels remained high and prices did not move upward.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:12 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Going strictly by the numbers, a pool is perhaps the least efficient way to add value to your property. In terms of enjoyment of your home, however, it's great. I believe my pool was a break-even proposition when I sold my house in Texas, compared to similar properties on the market at that time. My investment in landscaping, hardscaping and the pool itself definitely made my house more marketable, though, and it sold quickly compared to others in the area.

Some things I learned:

Design either your orientation of the pool or your landscaping to shade at least half of the pool after about 3:00pm. It's the only way to keep the water at a comfortable level. When I first installed my pool, the water was 94 degrees! A couple of big palm trees on the western end of it helped a great deal.

Get a spa. It will extend your enjoyment of the pool year-round. My wife and I would drink champagne under the stars on 40-degree January nights in ours. It was awesome.

Your water chemistry is your own business, but I preferred a very sanitary pool. As such, I learned a lot before going in and didn't trust my water to any "service". I maintained it with household bleach and never saw an algae bloom. My water was always clean and never smelled of chemicals, either. I supplemented the bleach with inline trichlor pucks and did partial drain and refills every other year or so to regulate CYA levels. I chose this method over a salt water generator, because of the amount of sun and heat my pool received. I didn't feel a salt water generator would allow me to maintain the high levels of sanitatizer I wanted, given the extreme conditions. Remember, "chlorine" is only one part of clean water. Balance is the real key--maintaining proper Ph, CYA level, etc. it sounds like a hassle, but once you know what you are doing, it only takes 30 minutes per week or so to take care of everything, plus a brush every now and then and running the automatic cleaner daily. My only algae problems ever were after Ike, when I lost power for two weeks and couldn't run the pump.

The waterfall will be more than decorative. Learn to use it for aeration to raise or lower Ph levels to maintain perfect water balance. I know all of this sounds like a lot of trouble--and it is, at first--but once you learn to "read" your pool's water chemistry, it's practically "set-it-and-forget-it". Seriously, I spent more time making margaritas than maintaining my pool in the summertime.

Run your pump about 8 hours per day during hot months and 5 or so when it gets cooler. I liked to set mine for cooler times of the day, to try to keep my water temperature down as much as possible. By running in the late evening and early morning, I didn't circulate the water in full sun. It helped reduce the temp 2-3 degrees. It also helped maintain chlorine levels. The sun eats chlorine, so running the pump (and thus, chlorinating) in full sunlight is less efficient.

Break down and clean your DE filter twice per year. It's a hassle, but it pays dividends in beautiful water. The first time I tried it, it took me over two hours to do it.after that, it was a 30-minute job. I did mine in early May, at the start of swim season, and late September, at the end.

Build 30-50% more patio than you think you need. I built an arbor and an area for grilling, plus landscaping, outdoor speakers, lighting, dining and lounge furniture, the works. The only drawback was I found I never wanted to leave home in summertime. Sunday rituals of margaritas by the pool and steaks in the evening were like a year-round vacation. That's the real value of having a pool.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:36 AM

670 posts, read 1,442,022 times
+10k on selling price.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:11 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Pools add value, usually not what they cost to build though. Anyone who says otherwise is 100% wrong. Some families wont consider a home with a pool, some wont consider one without a pool. Either way, its an asset and its worth building if you can get it at cost.

Maintenance is also a breeze. As was said above, once you figure it out, it should be less than 10-15 minutes a week.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:26 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
I still think its a great thing to have, but it's a pretty poor "investment" if we are talking strict dollars. The pool is just a part of the equation. I did thousands in landscaping and construction, too. They returned as much or more than the pool did. When you factor in the expenses of construction, maintenance, landscaping (and remember, in Houston's harsh climate, there will be many dead plants and insect invasions, season-to-season) etc., no one in his right mind would build a pool. You're literally in a hole from day one.

However, the increase in quality of life is immeasurable. Likewise, the marketability of your home, when you're ready to sell, goes way up if you've done it right. That alone can mean thousands of dollars in time-on-market and other bargaining considerations. In the end, factoring all this together, I figure I broke even monetarily...but I had a pool for many years that I loved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston