Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 PM

111 posts, read 392,772 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently moved back to Houston and are currently living in the Heights but after extensively looking around Houston have decided that we rather live in Sugar Land. We are in our late 20s with one baby. Currently we are trying to decide between an established neighborhood such as Colony Park or a new neighborhood such as Riverstone. We love the way the exteriors of the homes and the trees of the established neighborhoods and proximity to things like church and golf. However, the interiors of the new homes in Riverstone are tough to beat. We would like to keep the price below $450k.

I had several questions for anybody familiar with both communities:

- When will University Blvd. be connected through to First Colony? And do you feel this will make the community feel much more connected to the heart of First Colony and things like Sweetwater Country Club? Currently it feels a little isolated on Highway 6 to us.

- One of the things we love so much about First Colony is all the trees. Are there areas of Riverstone that I am missing that do have trees? As Riverstone becomes more established would one expect trees to grow back into the community?

- If you've made a similar decision recently I would be interested in hearing what you ended up doing and the ultimate deciding factor.

Thanks in advance
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,834,385 times
I spend a lot of time in both areas and my only feedback is that you will likely be happy in either one. If you plan to use public schools in a few years, zoning might be an issue but FBISD has been doing such crazy stuff, I am not sure how to avoid the zoning chaos other than to move right next door to an elementary school you like. If you are planning on doing private schools, this won't be an issue other than the effect on resale.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:44 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,796,746 times
I moved from First Colony to Riverstone due to need for a bigger house with bigger yard. Both areas are great and yes First Colony is older and more established. But with old comes some problems as well since they old houses. In Riverstone everything is almost new and it will mature shortly.
But I think you must create a list for yourself in terms of what you want and then go through both areas and pick the one most suited to your needs and priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowndes View Post
My wife and I recently moved back to Houston and are currently living in the Heights but after extensively looking around Houston have decided that we rather live in Sugar Land. We are in our late 20s with one baby. Currently we are trying to decide between an established neighborhood such as Colony Park or a new neighborhood such as Riverstone. We love the way the exteriors of the homes and the trees of the established neighborhoods and proximity to things like church and golf. However, the interiors of the new homes in Riverstone are tough to beat. We would like to keep the price below $450k.

I had several questions for anybody familiar with both communities:

- When will University Blvd. be connected through to First Colony? And do you feel this will make the community feel much more connected to the heart of First Colony and things like Sweetwater Country Club? Currently it feels a little isolated on Highway 6 to us.

- One of the things we love so much about First Colony is all the trees. Are there areas of Riverstone that I am missing that do have trees? As Riverstone becomes more established would one expect trees to grow back into the community?

- If you've made a similar decision recently I would be interested in hearing what you ended up doing and the ultimate deciding factor.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-07-2012, 10:02 PM

4 posts, read 11,057 times
Oh and I found your post here, so a few other things that you said "When will University Blvd. be connected through to First Colony?" Fully open was to happen this summer, however the bridge is going a little slower than they planned. I talked to the engineer of the project and he said it wouldnt go past Oct, they are so close with the roads its just getting the bridge done which they are running into a few small issues. He thinks it would happen before Oct but said for certain no later than Oct.
" And do you feel this will make the community feel much more connected to the heart of First Colony and things like Sweetwater Country Club?" Yes for sure, and right now there is a back way to Sweetwater CC, you can access it right now and MAYBE takes 7 mins from Highland Homes right now. We plan to join there, since Kevin is a golfer. They have a young mens group (so I have heard that he is excited about getting involved in)
Also the Riverstone community center that is going to break ground soon will be the largest water park in a community in south texas! Yay for the kids

Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM

41 posts, read 117,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
I moved from First Colony to Riverstone due to need for a bigger house with bigger yard. Both areas are great and yes First Colony is older and more established. But with old comes some problems as well since they old houses. In Riverstone everything is almost new and it will mature shortly.
But I think you must create a list for yourself in terms of what you want and then go through both areas and pick the one most suited to your needs and priorities.
I agree. First colony is older so the trees are bigger and they look nice. In Riverstone the trees will grow and it will look nice in few years.

I personally prefer the newer homes because they need less maintenance and they are more energy efficient.

Riverstone has more homes available to choose from whether the resale or the new construction. A 2-3 years old can still be good but you might expect to do some minor things like carpet cleaning and may be paint touch ups depends on the condition of the house and can be still a little cheaper than a brand new house. It might be a little hard to negotiate sometimes because most of them might not have enough equity to negotiate.

With the new construction, it can a little higher in price but you will get a brand new house and warranties covering roof, AC, foundation, appliances,etc.. And if you see anything wrong in the walk-through they can fix it for you before the closing.

I hope this helps and good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston