Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 03:29 PM

702 posts, read 1,237,010 times

Advertisements

I have a home built roughly five months ago in Northcrest Village and I did the walk through last Friday. I noticed a mess of issues that needed to be fixed and the construction manager flat denied to fix some of them. Crooked rear patio pillar, crooked window sills in family room, crooked tiles next to the back door (3+ mm bulge), bricks not layed evenly at one of the arches in front of the home, missing caulk between bricks, rough edges on doors (wasn't sanded down), paint was a mess in the game room, lots of excess paint? on the trim next to the wall, nails hanging out of the fiber cement siding on the exterior rear and on the front wood pillars in front of the house, crooked and bent exhaust vent, water drainage in the left side of the house is poor, etc etc.

I'm going with their mortgage company and it's been a nightmare. I'm in the military and they wanted every little bit of information proving I was in the military when it shows in my bank statements, w2's I am getting paid by them. I had to write some statement of authentication and supplement them with my LES, ERB and it still wasn't enough. Now they're telling me I have to take out the loan as a secondary home loan instead of primary because I'm renting a apartment in Colorado. Is this normal? Now they're telling me the closing will be delayed...and well. I just took two weeks of leave to knock this out and now you're telling me I can't close? I guess they're not familiar with how the military works...but I can't just take leave any time I want. We have field training next week and most of next month.

I don't want to walk on this home, but I think it might be better that I do. My home looks like it was built by the worst construction employee's they had and the construction manager did zero for quality assurance. The sad part is, they're blaming me telling me I'm being a perfectionist when I pointed out that the other homes built by them in the same subdivision doesn't have the same issues as mines. I had to put up a big fight for them to fix these problems. If you were me, would you walk?

Seriously considering purchasing a Westin....but I'm scared about going through the same ordeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 03:32 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Don't close until they fix the screwups. In the meantime, take pictures of everything and, if you want, have an inspector verify what you see in writing.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:58 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,586,259 times
Paint
Sanding of doors
That shouldn't be a big deal

Crooked pillar, crookend windows sills i can see why they won't want to fix them.

It's odd that you have more issues than the others, that alone screams inconsistent contractors.

If you really like the floorplan, lot, etc... Don't battle with them, just tell them fix it or i'm walking. If they truly want to provide you with a quality product, they will fix it, if they just want to mark off another in the books...... WALK

No builder is perfect, no matter what price range. Each one will vary since constructions managers all work differently.
If you go with Westin, just tell them from the get go, if you aren't happy with the quality of the home, you will walk. This at least lets the sales and construction manager that you aren't a customer that will settle.

In terms of Westin, we had an issue with our salesman, (hence why he is no longer there). However we were very happy with our home, and afterall we are buying the home, not the salesman. We gave him a poor rating in their survey and explain what we didn't like.

Go with your gut, this is a big purchase, satisfaction is a big factor.

With Chesmars lender, we had issues too, that's where we stopped looking at Chesmar, they gave us so much crap.

Went with Westin, guy got me approved, higher price range, and it was cake. Kevin yoakum !

Old 07-11-2012, 04:05 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,035 times
They should fix these items and make you happy to close. A lot of construction supers are dicks, so just ask for his boss, then his bosses boss..etc.

As far as the loan process goes, this is pretty typical nowadays. Lenders of all sorts want your blood. It has gone from one end of the spectrum to the other. I tell customers all the time that even if you have perfect credit and plenty of money in the bank..they are going to scrutinize all deposits, your employment, your taxes, your rental history...everything.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:38 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Sounds like a bad builder with a bad lender. The things you found are on the surface - did you get an inspector to dig deeper? Worth the money.

Ther are good lenders and good builders out there. Walking from this one may be a good idea.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:17 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,367,490 times
just think about all the issues you CANT see.... walk.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:12 AM

23,980 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Been there done that. You have 2 choices. Walking and starting all over from scratch or taking a bad house. The moving van was loaded and we had no place to go, so even when everything I knew and felt said walk away from this, I signed the papers and bought the house.

Hindsight. It would have been easier, way cheaper and better for our mental health if we had walked. We are probably among the few in Texas who sued a Pennsylvania warranty company and won. It took 3 years of my life and being blacklisted by every real estate agent in Rockwall, Texas. Hard to sell a house when you are blacklisted. The whole mess cost us out of pocket about 35 grand. That's after the warranty company came in and fixed everything. Crooked walls, window sills, and pillars are not structural, just evidence of slovenly, lazy workers and supervisors.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,598,157 times
Is the builder Beazer Homes?

Old 07-12-2012, 07:47 AM

670 posts, read 1,442,249 times
Walk, screw them. Semper Fi.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:57 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
It's been said, but I want to say it again. If they were that sloppy and incompetent with cosmetic issues, how well did they do on structural and systems (AC, etc.)? I cannot tell you how many foreclosures I have walked into that had foundation issues, leaky roofs, plumbing leaks, etc. - and the houses were less than 3 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston