Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:54 PM

61,944 posts, read 87,574,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
... shooting someone that's running away with your flat screen is just crazy.
Shooting someone who is running away with a handful of change, or a plant from your porch is crazy, but shooting someone who is running away with a box of your jewelry or rare coins does not sounds so crazy to me...
I guess everyone has to make their own judgments on these things and be prepared to live with the moral consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 02:37 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,819,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Shooting someone who is running away with a handful of change, or a plant from your porch is crazy, but shooting someone who is running away with a box of your jewelry or rare coins does not sounds so crazy to me...
I guess everyone has to make their own judgments on these things and be prepared to live with the moral consequences.

Dang, I had a great plan to smash and grab your rare coins but now I think I'll just settle for that bougainvillea from your porch.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:48 PM

563 posts, read 911,795 times
I don't think anyone in this world should be shot and killed for stealing. No too long ago a thief stole my vehicle and I could have sworn up and down that if I was outside I would have lit his coward butt up with bullets. Would I have done it? No. Not one possession of mine no matter how great the cost is worth someones life.

If a person breaks into my home and I meet them with a pistol and can see their hands are clear of anything deadly I will give them a chance to surrender. If at ANY moment I cant see their hands and I feel my life is in danger I will shoot them on the spot. At night this is intensified of course because it is darker.

I have strict rules because I almost killed someone when I was in college. I had just rented an apartment and had heard after I moved in that the guy that lived there before me was a black guy and some type of drug dealer or something. About a couple of weeks into my stay a black man started banging on my door calling for this guy and started saying I had seconds to open the door or he was going to kick it in. I had my gun in my hand and kept looking out the peephole to see if this person's hands were free. When I found out they were was right when the guy backed all the way up and started to position himself to kick down my door and started to charge. In a split second I decided to open the door and ask him what was going on and tell him that guy no longer lived there. I had the gun behind the door and once he saw that I was white and wasn't the guy and apologized and left. If I would have let the guy kick in my door or tried calling the police with the seconds I had to react this guy would have been dead. The entire encounter lasted about 15 seconds.

One could probably ask why I didn't immediately open the door and confront him and I would say because I didn't know until the last second if this guy had anything in his hands and if I opened the door whether a gun battle would ensue. You really don't know what you will do until it happens.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,801,981 times
Absolutely, spot on mate. I won't kill anyone if he stole my $10, my car or my wife jewelry. Nothing material in this world can justify killing someone for it. Yes is wrong to steal but killing someone over that is even more wrong and I don't care what the law say. I rather live without the that stuff was stolen (which most likely is covered by insurance) than having this guy on my conscience

But yes when it comes to my personal and family safety I won't think twice about it. Is just a question how quick and acurarately we react. Some training in this matter really helps if not sure how and when to react in defense.

I have a similar story with a roadrage lunatic. He actually run his truck into me and pushed me off the road. He got off his car trying to break my window even after I show him my 9mm Beretta. He was clearly disturbed and willing to loose his life, but I decided to call the cops and flee the scene in safety as the cops advised me. The guy did not follow. I could very easily put a bullet in his head, no questions asked. If the guy was going to break the window and touch me, that would've been the end of his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I don't think anyone in this world should be shot and killed for stealing. No too long ago a thief stole my vehicle and I could have sworn up and down that if I was outside I would have lit his coward butt up with bullets. Would I have done it? No. Not one possession of mine no matter how great the cost is worth someones life.

If a person breaks into my home and I meet them with a pistol and can see their hands are clear of anything deadly I will give them a chance to surrender. If at ANY moment I cant see their hands and I feel my life is in danger I will shoot them on the spot. At night this is intensified of course because it is darker.

I have strict rules because I almost killed someone when I was in college. I had just rented an apartment and had heard after I moved in that the guy that lived there before me was a black guy and some type of drug dealer or something. About a couple of weeks into my stay a black man started banging on my door calling for this guy and started saying I had seconds to open the door or he was going to kick it in. I had my gun in my hand and kept looking out the peephole to see if this person's hands were free. When I found out they were was right when the guy backed all the way up and started to position himself to kick down my door and started to charge. In a split second I decided to open the door and ask him what was going on and tell him that guy no longer lived there. I had the gun behind the door and once he saw that I was white and wasn't the guy and apologized and left. If I would have let the guy kick in my door or tried calling the police with the seconds I had to react this guy would have been dead. The entire encounter lasted about 15 seconds.

One could probably ask why I didn't immediately open the door and confront him and I would say because I didn't know until the last second if this guy had anything in his hands and if I opened the door whether a gun battle would ensue. You really don't know what you will do until it happens.

Last edited by ethanw; 07-02-2012 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,042,815 times
Cut their hands off so they can't steal. But if they break into my house I'll kill them without stealing anything. So I guess I'm worse than killing someone over 10 bucks.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 PM

392 posts, read 634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Desperate times call for desperate measures. People will do things they wouldn't normally out of desperation.

To me, what's most interesting is the fact that this state is run by evangelicals yet we have laws on the books that enable you to kill a kid over 10 bucks.
We have kids that will kill YOU over 10 bucks.

Maybe the law means there will be fewer and fewer of them.

Thank you, Charles Darwin!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 PM

392 posts, read 634,749 times
They say that capital punishment doesn't deter crime.

I know.

That pesky kid keeps coming back from the dead and robbing me.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,465,837 times
Isn't the human race just wonderful!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 PM

61,944 posts, read 87,574,290 times
I live by myself. If someone kick the door to my house - day or night, and I am inside, he will die or get severely wounded. I am not going to engage in a conversation.
If they know the risk and that we are armed, maybe the crime will cease a bit.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,550,079 times
The Castle Doctrine is mainly a boon for law-abiding people who live in poor areas. On the one hand, it deters gangsters from threatening violence. On the other, it gives someone who kills another person in the course of being attacked a shield from civil liability. As the Chron article notes, the majority of the cases (under 50 a year) in Houston are minority-on-minority. For the most part, I would imagine these are people who live in crime-ridden areas and don't have any choice in the matter because of their economic circumstances. Given the small size of Houston's police force relative to other PD's in large cities and the area it needs to cover, I'd say Stand-Your-Ground is a reasonable response to high crime rates combined with their inability to be everywhere at once.

The OP's response is that of the typical wealthy suburbanite. He's got so much put away that his possessions mean nothing to him. He can always buy more. For a law-abiding person in a poor area, losing an item to theft may mean going without for a long time. In addition, the OP probably lives in an area where the odds of having things stolen are remote. And if they became any less remote, he'd move somewhere else more upscale and be able to afford to. Someone from a poor area can't afford to move, and the odds of getting ripped off again are probably pretty high, given where he lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: