Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:12 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,771,023 times

Advertisements

I've seen some youtube videos and pictures of the area and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. The area at the surface seems to resemble a giant master planned community of sorts for those working in the oil and gas sector. But what exactly is it? Is it just a collection of towns given that name? And what is it like living there? It looks great for families but would a single guy enjoy living there if he worked in the energy sector?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 10:57 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
I think a single guy could enjoy living there. I have a coworker in her mid twenties who lives there and loves it because of all the parks and the proximity to City Centre. If I was going to live there I would pick somewhere along Eldridge Parkway between Westheimer and I-10.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:24 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
The energy corridor is just a designation for a bunch of tall office buildings that line Eldridge and the Katy freeway. There are really no actual neighborhoods in the EC. The three residential areas that make of the area are Memorial (or Memorial West to our more picky commenters), Briarforest and West Oaks/Eldridge. They're not towns, they're just older suburbs that are now a part of Houston proper.

I'm a single guy who owns a house in the EC and I think it's a good compromise between living out in Katy and driving in from town (depending on your budget). If you aim to rent, I'd rent in City Centre or in the loop. If you can afford 300k+ and want to buy, in the loop is also the way to go. If your budget was like mine (200k max), there are quite a few options available and get a little bit of city for a lot less.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:00 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,494,577 times
THe EC is a nickname by locals given to that area where there's a high concentration of O.G. companies. I think broadly speaking it extends from Beltway 8 to Hwy 6 along IH10, and then extends a little down Eldridge and Dairy Ashford...but there's no hard boundaries b/c it's not a subdivision. (Although the city recently changed street name signs to include an EC logo on the signs to help define this area, it still doesn't mean much imo)This area is a mix of new and old houses, single homes and apartments and townhomes. I don't consider it anything like an MPC, it's more like a bunch of smaller subdivisions that sprung up independently over the years. Lots of singles live there so I wouldn't worry about it, but there are obviously less singles than those areas closer to the city. If you love the nightclubs, you'll be happier being in the loop, but if restaurants and pubs are what you like, you will be fine.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 7,479 times
I love the EC area. It is home to many wonderful businesses and my favorite sushi place, Matsu Sushi Bar. It doesn't really have too many nightclubs, but there are plenty of pubs and upscale wine rooms. It also comes with the convenience of being right next to I-10.

As far as it being a planned community, it really isn't. It has old and new single family homes as well as grade A and B luxury apartments.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:48 AM

142 posts, read 398,170 times
I'm an early 30's single guy, and I love living in the EC. Lot's to do now that City Centre is available.

I'm actually looking for a roommate to share my 4 bedroom house if anyone is interested.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM

OK, here's a forward question. Obviously the EC is dominated by the "energy" sector. Go figure. And it's my understanding this is a pretty male dominated industry. I get that there are probably a lot of families that live in the area. But for all you single guys living in the area, are there actually any single "women" in the area? LOL.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:18 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,471 times
I live in a gated community in Parkway villages.
love it. lots of single women biking/jogging in Terry Hershey park

Old 06-18-2012, 11:14 AM

Wow, that Terry Hershey Park is pretty nice.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Wow, that Terry Hershey Park is pretty nice.

Improving every year. Hope they finish work taking it to Addicks Reservoir sometime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: