Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:29 AM

443 posts, read 1,346,014 times

Advertisements

A friend and I were discussing the reason why the booming new "City Centre" development was called City Centre. He was arguing it's because Houston's center of population is actually near or even at the development...intersection of BW8 and i-10. I did a quick Google search on "houston population center" and didn't turn up anything. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

My take is that I'd believe it if you base the center on where people live weighing all the suburban development to the West (katy) and SW (sugarland) against the more urban and established areas of Memorial, Spring Branch, the Heights and points North and East...the center probably shifts east toward the Galleria/downtown during the workday.

We live very close to City Centre and the development really has taken off. Seems like they are introducing new high-end shops and restaurants monthly. Could this area, because of its "hub" location to Houston's population, become the new epicenter of entertainment/activity in the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 09:44 AM

970 posts, read 1,872,603 times
Again, as a Native Houstonian...........this whole City Centre "thing" is horribly, horribly annoying. I was told a few years ago by a real estate agent that MEMORIAL was going to be (desigated as) the Center of Houston...........geographically..........ugh..... ......who cares?

I can understand razing buildings and re-building. I DON'T understand RENAMING well-known areas. Uptown???? How about the Galleria-area. City Centre............How about Memorial??? What is Far Town, Near Town, In-Between Town?! What happened to Montrose?!, etc.

Town and Country will always be Town and Country..........to me and others.......just as Town Lake will always be Town Lake (NOT Lady Bird Lake.)

Old 05-27-2012, 10:09 AM

443 posts, read 1,346,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Olikee View Post
Again, as a Native Houstonian...........this whole City Centre "thing" is horribly, horribly annoying. I was told a few years ago by a real estate agent that MEMORIAL was going to be (desigated as) the Center of Houston...........geographically..........ugh..... ......who cares?

I can understand razing buildings and re-building. I DON'T understand RENAMING well-known areas. Uptown???? How about the Galleria-area. City Centre............How about Memorial??? What is Far Town, Near Town, In-Between Town?! What happened to Montrose?!, etc.

Town and Country will always be Town and Country..........to me and others.......just as Town Lake will always be Town Lake (NOT Lady Bird Lake.)
I agree...I'm native to the area and we still refer to it as Town and Country. It's just a name though, no big deal.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
I agree...I'm native to the area and we still refer to it as Town and Country. It's just a name though, no big deal.
Disagree...........it's MORE than a "name." It's an "identity."

Old 05-27-2012, 11:33 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,918 times
I think city centre is close to the census mean location of the population, meaning as many people live north of it as south of it and east of it as west of it, but it's a meaningless statistic that just shows that the east side of house us really underpopulated compared with the west (where all the office jobs are). I don't know what that means for the memorial area in terms of it future however.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Why isn't the East side developed?

Old 05-27-2012, 11:44 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Why isn't the East side developed?
Historical reasons. Alot of industrial operations, the ship channel, and the associated railroads and waste disposal areas made it unattractive for residential development.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:49 AM

So, it's the middle of the MSA? It most certainly is not the middle of the City. City Centre would then be a misnomer? It does sound "meaningless" and therefore pointless.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:52 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Historical reasons. Alot of industrial operations, the ship channel, and the associated railroads and waste disposal areas made it unattractive for residential development.
Interesting...

Old 05-27-2012, 12:15 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times
There is really nothing that special about City Centre. I love going there but what really sets it apart from the other suburban commercial/residential developments like Sugar Land Town Center and The Woodlands Market Street? Nothing really. I would say the population center of Houston is probably further south of I-10 and more towards Hwy 59. It's not as glamorous as the homes in Memorial but the population is booming in the Hwy 59/Hilcroft area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston