Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,384 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a range where I could practice shooting a gun, but try different kinds to know what feels right before I buy one that I can use. I figured practicing with some would let me know how it feels and to figure out which type of gun best suits me and what I need it for. Which is mainly for protection. Thanks in advance for anyone who helps me or with any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,280,593 times
Sportsmans outlet humble

Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 36,543 times
What part of town are you in? - Im in the Katy area and love American Shooting Centers but I have lots of my own guns and umm not sure if they have a bunch of rentals to try - i also like Carter's Country in Spring and I know they have a TON of rental guns you can try out

Are you a female? - if so, and I promise I'm not a creep, I'd be happy to let you try any of my guns - that is, if we're compatible/close in age/you'll let me buy you lunch after we shoot - seriously though, I'm just an average joe 37 year old with 2 boys (4&6 years old) who respects women and privacy - in other words, I'm a harmless nice guy

Old 05-16-2012, 10:08 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,692 times
Renting guns can be expensive. You could easily spend as much as the gun would costs if you spend a day trying out a dozen. I bet if you tell us how you plan on using the gun, we can give you several ideas.

For example, if its for home defense only, Id lean toward a shotgun. If you cant handle one, or prefer a handgun, Id tell you to buy a full sized polymer gun. That would be like a Glock 17, or Springfield XD9. Women think they want small guns, but physics will make you regret that. A small 9mm gun will snap the heck out of your wrist, while a large frame 9mm will be much easier to handle. Looks wrong when you hold the guns, but trust me.

Give us some more info, and we'll go from there.

Also, gun ranges tend to have horrid gun prices. Id try out there, but buy from someplace that is cheaper. The best prices can be found at Tomball Pawn(its a pawn shop, but a huge new gun dealer, and Independence Firearms. That place is a drive, but an amazing place.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshungry View Post
Are you a female? - if so, and I promise I'm not a creep, I'd be happy to let you try any of my guns - that is, if we're compatible/close in age/you'll let me buy you lunch after we shoot - seriously though, I'm just an average joe 37 year old with 2 boys (4&6 years old) who respects women and privacy - in other words, I'm a harmless nice guy

Uh-huh, yeah- Mr. "AlwaysHungry."

Old 05-17-2012, 09:34 AM

799 posts, read 2,441,692 times
Also, a great value out there right now is the Sig 2022. Its a polymer 9mm with a da/sa trigger. The first shot will be a longer harder pull, shots after that will be easier until you reload. Consider the first trigger pull like a safety. They are selling for $350-400 right now. Academy carries them.

Great quality, and very reasonably priced.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 AM

25 posts, read 102,603 times
I usually go to Top Gun to try out new guns...They are usually $10-50 per gun and around$10-20 for ammunition...But they do have a variety of guns to pick from. A little expensive but if you really want to try out different guns, this is a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston