Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM

561 posts, read 973,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothemak View Post
You know they invented this wonderful thing call pest control, last time I checked it worked wonders.

Anyways we have bugs just like any other city out there, yes we live in a warmer climate so just like any city in the south we may have a tad bit more of certain bugs like mosquitoes but not nearly as bad a Florida. Never seen a scorpion in Houston. It is not like living in Arizona and dealing with black widows and scorpion infestations but still you just call a pest control company.

No, it doesn't work wonders. Lets try not to mislead others. And there are cities that have far fewer bug and pest problems than Houston.

But thats all perspective. You mentioned Arizona, which I agree has serious snake and scorpion problems. And Florida which has major mosquito and gator problems. I'm so thankful for not having any of those problems, which can cause serious illness and even death. Those seem quite dangerous. Growing up in Portland Oregon, and Northern Cali. I cant seem to remember any problems being outside on a summer evening and worrying about mosquito's,lovebugs, junebugs, those rattling lil ****s that sound like snakes,RED ANTS etc. And Chicago, a city i visit quite often, tends to not have many of the same pests that plague southern cities.

The city and surrounding suburbs do what they can when they go around with spray trucks and try to mitigate the problem. But it's preferred that folks stay indoors when that is being done, to not inhale any of that stuff. But when the damn city is named Bayou City, and bayou's tend to be where mosquito's breed and hatch, they can only do so much.

But, I agree that every city has its positives and negatives, but not every city has a bug problem. Houston, absolutely does. People that grew up around the Gulf Coast can deal with it, but if the OP isn't from a warm humid climate, it could be quite an adjustment.

You can spray yourself with "OFF" and have a little success. But, it doesn't work "wonders". Torches can work, but you're relegated to spend time within the covered area. And one of the worst feeling is when you have the "ghost" feelings of being bitten by a mosquito, even though there isn't one there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 06:01 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,056,601 times
bees arent a problem. they are loving my plants this year and share the same space as hummingbirds and butterflies. they dont bother one another or me. i do have more than a few families of wasps around that i keep spraying directly.

since its been rainy my house is filled with cockroaches. not really filled with, but each time i come home from work i see a cat has got one. ive had a biggie in my bathroom for awhile now. they are just roaches from the trees outside. they arent dirty and i never see them in my pantry or cabinets (traps in the dark unused corners). this is houston. you will get some roaches in your home. if i leave the door open too long bringing in groceries i see the little buggers run in. they slip under patio doors if you dont have a really good seal.

never seen a scorpion here myself, but they are down here just not like they are in west texas. i imagine that may be a problem (problem being oh look i actually saw a scorpion!) for people living in the country or going through the woods. do people actually worry about bugs moving to texas? if you think mosquitos are bad in texas go visit Minnesota in the summer. i remember big knat swarms in northern Virginia that could choke a man. and they bit too. we dont have that problem here

Old 09-17-2013, 08:02 PM

833 posts, read 1,888,842 times
And now we have a new ant species called crazy or raspberry ants.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 AM

58 posts, read 101,515 times
Roaches poop everywhere. Poop from anything is the #1 most filthy thing in my book.

If you live in an area with undeveloped nature next door you will have more bugs. If you live in the concrete jungle you'll see more rats but that's not unique to any city.

Pest control is worthless unless you can witness the work. Those are some of the most shady guys around. I bought a house that had "regular pest control" and it turns out nothing was done except some money was stolen. I have spent 3 months identifying the trouble areas and they are gone now with about $50 worth of products. Its more work now since my neighborhood is bounded by nature on 3 sides.

Last edited by AnonForThis; 09-18-2013 at 07:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston