Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would be best to relocate to?
Washington DC 20 29.85%
Atlanta 12 17.91%
Houston 30 44.78%
Other? Please le me know and why 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,362,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post

I should be asking you the same houstonian/ New Orleans . Since you live on our board I thought I would pay yours a visit.. Problem?
I was half-joking around with you, but since you took there: I atleast was once an "Atlantan" myself, so I can actually contribute something of worth to the discussions in that forum. Can you do the same here? I know the city of Atlanta, but I wasn't aware that you knew enough about Houston or Texas to be posting here. I seem to get the sense that you're just waiting for something to pop off.

Maybe I'm just being a bully, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,918,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I was half-joking around with you, but since you took there: I atleast was once an "Atlantan" myself, so I can actually contribute something of worth to the discussions in that forum. Can you do the same here? I know the city of Atlanta, but I wasn't aware that you knew enough about Houston or Texas to be posting here. I seem to get the sense that you're just waiting for something to pop off.

Maybe I'm just being a bully, though.
Even though I am familiar with Houston I have no need to bash the city..I'm not looking for anything to pop off at all. I hardly ever come over here.. unlike many of u who visit Atlanta boards. I come in peace my friend. Not trying to have a pissing match..

Old 05-06-2012, 09:43 PM

848 posts, read 2,130,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
No, those areas aren't walkable. Maybe for Houston yes, but if you told somebody in Chicago, NY, Boston, San Francisco, that those were walkable areas they would think you were out of your mind. In addition, even if they were walkable, who wants to walk anywhere when it is 95 degrees with 90% humidity several months out of the year. Face it, Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, Charlotte, etc...are not, and will never, be what you would consider to be dense, walkable cities. It is what it is, so we should make the best of what we have rather than trying to convince others how much of a real city our cities are.

Typical Anal Urbanist mentality.

Houston's weather is actually mostly pleasant 7 months out of the year. Sure beats the snow of Chicagoland...I do not miss the North for living!

No one says Houston is a San Fran or Chicago in format...and that's why we live and love it here in H-town.

Houston is a "real" city but in a different way. There's more DIVERSITY of spacing here compared to those older, dense cities.

Houston's got the intimate walkable sidewalk streets with the bungalow bars and cafes in the Loop yet we have wide streets featuring the LARGEST COLLECTION of PATIO DECK bars of every stripe on Richmond Ave.

Heights 19th St., White Oak (the concrete trail is awesome and so are the new eateries there), Rice Village (I LOVE walking down Morningside and to other cafe points after a meal at Shiva's), Montrose, etc...all walkable in my book.

Working class people regularly walk on streets like Hillcroft, Gessner and Ranchester and even many sections of Westheimer to get toiletries, couscous, pupusas, tacos and tilapia for their day to day needs along with catching a METRO ride or strolling their babies. Do not discount that.

I really don't see those Houston-style oddball bungalow and mini-Victorian cafes in San Fran or Chicago or NY as readily as I do in Houston. Face it, Anal Urbanists. Those standard city blocks of San Fran, Chi-town and NY look very, very similar, NY just happens to be the most intense version. That's all. At least Houston offers every format in-between.

You types hate "strip malls" but some of them are actually colorful and lively with pedestrians, such as the ones on Bellaire Blvd in the Chinatown areas, packed with every kind of shop and cafe. The Americana on Fountainview features some GREAT outdoor decks like the ones at Darband and Cafe Europe. Just awesome hang-outs with the open night sky...

Yet in Houston, when we hang out at places like Minuti Coffee or Sambuca or Bombay Pizza al fresco downtown, we have the classic wide sidewalks, tall buildings and alleyways, i.e. URBAN FORMAT...oops.

BTW, what is it with this hatred of "strip malls?" In Houston, we have "strip malls" for our errands (who honestly needs to put up with parallel parking BS in an auto-oriented city, when we lead busy lives?) but we have a diversity of colorful and entertaining micro-pedestrian styles from Old Town Spring to Kemah Light House to the Montrose streets to Midtown to Downtown to the eateries of the Med Center on Fannin...Houston is ever the quirky metro. Period. And I love it for that. The Anal Urbanists criticize Houston because of "strip malls" as if it is the same thing as Katy?

You sure as heck will not find that diverse, HUGE PATIO style like Richmond Avenue in those old school cities. You will not find the awesome Deck Haus or Concert Pub or Sam's Boat format in Chicago or SF. Sorry.

Last edited by worldlyman; 05-06-2012 at 10:02 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 PM

848 posts, read 2,130,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
Your moving to Dallas then. From your options, DC first, Houston then Atlanta. I pick DC over Houston because Montreal is closer in style to DC than Htown. Big metro city with great public transportations something we lack, if we get our commute rail and rail going to all points, we'd be top echelon. IMO, Houston is probaly too laid back for you and you'll probaly have hard time adjusting from city life, to small town city life. We are more family-oriented town then a singles-type town, we offer more fun for kiddies than grown kiddies. I put Htown over Atl because I believe we have good manners despite our big population of illegal immigrants. Couple years ago, I heard a loud brake screeching sound, I saw a car from my office on the freeway flip over on 45 near downtown. Most, if not every single car behind it stop and walk to check on the welfare on that flipped car. I saw nearly 2 dozen people try to help, it was a sight to see, I wished I filmed it. One reason, I love Houston a lot more than other cities. Sorry, for going the other way on this, but I just love it here. If Dallas is giving your work, a very happy and well like job, go for Big D. Good Luck on your choices!!!
"Small town city life?"

A huge city that has several nightlife districts catering to different demographics (even intermixing)...boy, this gets old.

"family-oriented town than a singles-type town"

Houston had been voted Best City for Bachelors:
News Headlines

A top ten city for singles:
Top 10 list of America's Best Cities for Singles - Houston cultural events | Examiner.com

The fact is, Houston is one of the youngest cities in the country as far as median age...Houston is one of the fasted growing cities in the country...these elements do not comport with your dismissal of Houston as some apparently boring "family-oriented" one.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,328 times
Default The Straight Fact

I was born and raised in DC. I have lived in Las Vegas for two years. Relocated to Houston started a business there and stayed for six years. Now reside in South Florida the past two years.

For leisure late night after 2am social life and great beaches South Florida is the place of choice.
Great Cuban community, Jewish community and Island Culture with a heavy mix of northerners. Two major airports and pro sports teams. They say you should know Spanish to live down here. I don't any Spanish and I have had no problems just speaking English That being said I am learning Spanish and not because I'm in South Florida but because everyone else seems to know more than one language.

Its expensive down here if you want to have a good time but, the women are so beautiful its worth the extra bucks. Make sure you have an income of some kind before you come down here. Also have or get a car.

They say it’s humid in the summer I however think it’s not any worse than being in Houston's humid summers or DC’s Hot ASS Summers!
My mother is Native American my Dad is Black if that means anything to anyone.

Houston has a little bit of everything to offer. From its beaches that are only 45 minutes away from downtown. Granted the beaches are not at the level of Florida. Houston is building a new amazing amusement park on the outside of the city. Galveston Island is growing to be one of the best places to have a family vacation in the USA.
With Houston not having building zones it is build all over the place. It’s a big spread of a city, kind of a little brother of L.A. Houston is a wonderful place to raise a family. It’s a perfect place to start a business and it is top notch in affordable housing.
Houston Diversity is second to none. Their public transportation is not in the same league as DC. If you remember DC when they first built the red line from Metro Center to Rhode Island Ave. that's about where Houston is right now. Austin, Texas is just a couple of hours away. I just put that in because Austin is always rated as one of the top cities in the country.

My home town… Washington DC If you are making serious money DC has everything you want and is a quick trip to NY, Atlantic City, Kings Dominion, Virginia Beach, Baltimore Harbor, the Chesapeake, Cultural Diversity, Gays, Sports, Clubs, Restaurants, Live Music, Charles Town and Obama. If you are not set financially don’t come to this city. Next to NY DC is one of the most expensive cities in the country.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,317,536 times
Houston not the new Atlanta, Houston has been a major job hub for years its the 3/4th largest city in the country..It didnt happen overnight.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:02 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,814,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Houston not the new Atlanta, Houston has been a major job hub for years its the 3/4th largest city in the country..It didnt happen overnight.
Houston the new Atlanta???????? Houston must be still suffering the recession then...LOL

Old 07-03-2012, 05:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,259,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post

That comparision relates to the attraction of African Americans. Go to any urban type of forum that deal with topics like this and Houston is often described as the new Atlanta.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 PM

193 posts, read 340,695 times
DC, easily. It costs more, but the quality of life is easily better.

Notice that more than Half of the reponses in the Houston forum are not for Houston.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:49 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,814,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
That comparision relates to the attraction of African Americans. Go to any urban type of forum that deal with topics like this and Houston is often described as the new Atlanta.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston