Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would be best to relocate to?
Washington DC 20 29.85%
Atlanta 12 17.91%
Houston 30 44.78%
Other? Please le me know and why 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:26 AM

20,531 posts, read 33,641,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
Your moving to Dallas then. From your options, DC first, Houston then Atlanta. I pick DC over Houston because Montreal is closer in style to DC than Htown. Big metro city with great public transportations something we lack, if we get our commute rail and rail going to all points, we'd be top echelon. IMO, Houston is probaly too laid back for you and you'll probaly have hard time adjusting from city life, to small town city life. We are more family-oriented town then a singles-type town, we offer more fun for kiddies than grown kiddies. I put Htown over Atl because I believe we have good manners despite our big population of illegal immigrants. Couple years ago, I heard a loud brake screeching sound, I saw a car from my office on the freeway flip over on 45 near downtown. Most, if not every single car behind it stop and walk to check on the welfare on that flipped car. I saw nearly 2 dozen people try to help, it was a sight to see, I wished I filmed it. One reason, I love Houston a lot more than other cities. Sorry, for going the other way on this, but I just love it here. If Dallas is giving your work, a very happy and well like job, go for Big D. Good Luck on your choices!!!
Well that depends nowadays and in the future. If you're in the inner loop, it can work as a single. If you stay outside of the loop as a single person...good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM

46 posts, read 140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodwings19 View Post
Your moving to Dallas then. From your options, DC first, Houston then Atlanta. I pick DC over Houston because Montreal is closer in style to DC than Htown. Big metro city with great public transportations something we lack, if we get our commute rail and rail going to all points, we'd be top echelon. IMO, Houston is probaly too laid back for you and you'll probaly have hard time adjusting from city life, to small town city life. We are more family-oriented town then a singles-type town, we offer more fun for kiddies than grown kiddies. I put Htown over Atl because I believe we have good manners despite our big population of illegal immigrants. Couple years ago, I heard a loud brake screeching sound, I saw a car from my office on the freeway flip over on 45 near downtown. Most, if not every single car behind it stop and walk to check on the welfare on that flipped car. I saw nearly 2 dozen people try to help, it was a sight to see, I wished I filmed it. One reason, I love Houston a lot more than other cities. Sorry, for going the other way on this, but I just love it here. If Dallas is giving your work, a very happy and well like job, go for Big D. Good Luck on your choices!!!
Yes, I do need activities for big kiddies otherwise I'll find it boring and will probably have a harder time getting used to Houston and meeting people.
I love your story of everyone helping the car that flipped. I would imagine that in any city people should rush to help (I hope)

Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 AM

2,945 posts, read 5,005,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTorn View Post
Yes, cost of living is important. I truly have trouble seeing myself in a crappy apartment. I did look for jobs in Houston but didn't find much, there were more job in Dallas I believe.
This thread is all over the place. But you didn't give vital information.

What exactly do you do for a living to where there's no jobs here but plenty in Dallas?

How much are you willing to spend on a place?

Too many are ready to move under the notion that Houston = cheap COL then want a budget of $500-800 and that won't get you something really nice. Especially if you want to live in certain areas. Houston's cheap compared to other places but not THAT cheap.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
This thread is all over the place. But you didn't give vital information.

What exactly do you do for a living to where there's no jobs here but plenty in Dallas?

How much are you willing to spend on a place?

Too many are ready to move under the notion that Houston = cheap COL then want a budget of $500-800 and that won't get you something really nice. Especially if you want to live in certain areas. Houston's cheap compared to other places but not THAT cheap.
Hi, I had replied earlier (but not on the my main post) this:
I have a bachelor degree in actuarial mathematics and 6 years of experience. I'm looking to head back in the Consulting world (that I left 2 years ago for an opportunity in the private sector). My strategy will be to target consulting firms, hopefully I'll found one who will sponsor me as I'm Canadian.

As for budget, I haven't looked at all at Houston since I know nothing about Houston besides what everybody have posted

DC: I can get a cheap studio at maybe 1100 in the suburbs close to metro station. Even a 1 bedroom apt is about 1250 in the suburbs and it won't be that great from what I've seen. I'm not looking into sharing an apt with a roommate and I like an apt to look nice and be in a nice neighborhood. Let's not even get into the price of an apt in downtown DC! That's the biggest downfall of DC.

Atlanta: I can easily get a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom for $1000 less than 20min away from downtown where the companies I would work for are located.

To me the cost of living of Atlanta is perfect

Old 04-26-2012, 07:23 AM

229 posts, read 305,848 times
Quote:
I have a bachelor degree in actuarial mathematics and 6 years of experience. I'm looking to head back in the Consulting world (that I left 2 years ago for an opportunity in the private sector). My strategy will be to target consulting firms, hopefully I'll found one who will sponsor me as I'm Canadian.

As for budget, I haven't looked at all at Houston since I know nothing about Houston besides what everybody have posted

DC: I can get a cheap studio at maybe 1100 in the suburbs close to metro station. Even a 1 bedroom apt is about 1250 in the suburbs and it won't be that great from what I've seen. I'm not looking into sharing an apt with a roommate and I like an apt to look nice and be in a nice neighborhood. Let's not even get into the price of an apt in downtown DC! That's the biggest downfall of DC.

Atlanta: I can easily get a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom for $1000 less than 20min away from downtown where the companies I would work for are located.

I have been to Houston hundreds of times over the last 15 years, and have been to Atlanta many, many times over the last several years. Believe me, you will like Atlanta better than Houston. It is much prettier, more city-like, more urban, and the majority of people that live there, love it. Aside from the rabid Houston boosters on this forum, you are going to find that the majority of people living in Houston either dislike their city, or have no opinion at all of their city.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,026,302 times
Quote:

with a budget like that you can easily get a nice place in the more happening parts of Houston.

The people who say it is boring went for the big house on a huge plot of land in the burbs 30 miles from the Core.

Don't listen to Jbarn. He is a notorious Houston hater whose "constructive" criticisms are always 101% negative. You know people lose credibility when everything they say is negative

Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 AM

Thank you everyone for your input.
I have decided to apply for jobs in Atlanta and Washington DC for the moment and will decide upon job offered. Since I've never visited Houston, I might look into it after. I believe that you need to visit a place in order to get "the vibe" from it. But from all your comments, Houston seems like a really nice place.

Again, thank you all

Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 PM

229 posts, read 305,848 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your input.
I have decided to apply for jobs in Atlanta and Washington DC for the moment and will decide upon job offered. Since I've never visited Houston, I might look into it after. I believe that you need to visit a place in order to get "the vibe" from it. But from all your comments, Houston seems like a really nice place.

Again, thank you all
Great decision.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,072,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
Aside from the rabid Houston boosters on this forum, you are going to find that the majority of people living in Houston either dislike their city, or have no opinion at all of their city.
How about not trolling and making things up.

Very reputable survey done by Rice Univ each year:
Kinder Houston Area Survey
"90% said Houston was a better place to live than most other metro areas of the country"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Don't listen to Jbarn. He is a notorious Houston hater whose "constructive" criticisms are always 101% negative. You know people lose credibility when everything they say is negative
Being new, from another place yet almost all his posts are in the Houston forum smells of a troll.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:59 PM

725 posts, read 1,243,586 times
First of all, I've lived in all three of these cities.

Second of all jbarn has no idea what he's talking about. Most native Houstonians love the city. Transplants have a generally mixed opinion but most people in our demographic (80s babies) LOVE Houston. Some have superficial views of cities, and those people almost universally hate Houston. It's like a pie with a thick crust and a smooth, flavorful middle. You have to look a little harder than the other two to find the things that make the city most special. It is not going to win any beauty or summer weather contests.

Atlanta was amazing. Only problem there is jobs and the insane traffic. My commute in Atlanta, though shorter, was much more painful than my commute here in DC. I found the people to be a mix, some arrogant and condescending, and many others very friendly and straightshooting.

DC is also amazing. Only problem here is the weather (I hate the cold) and the police-state mentality (speed cameras that will hit you with MAJOR tickets, be warned).

Now let's talk about COL. Do not do not DO NOT underestimate just how expensive the DC area is. I love it here but we pay an extreme premium to live here. A nice place in an area of the DMV that you would want to be in, you're talking 1200+ for a studio and 1350+ for a one bedroom. DC and VA have crazy tax loads, especially DC. Coming from Texas, I was puzzled by personal property tax, state income taxes, city taxes, etc. Cable/Internet? You're probably dropping $100. Food is extremely expensive here. Parking? Fuhgeddaboutit.

Atlanta and Houston are MUCH easier places to live, but DC is the most active. Honestly, you can't make a bad choice among these three given your situation. But I will say this. If I could get the same job I have here making the same money in Houston or Atlanta I would be in one of those two places in a New York minute. Why? All three cities offer different levels of urbanism (important to me), mobility (important to me), quality of life (important to me), and beautiful single black women (very important to me lol). Key difference is in Houston or Atlanta, you can have fun as a 20-something while still financially not having to scrape by.

Atlanta is much prettier than Houston and has more black culture and influence.

Houston is much more diverse and cosmopolitan than Atlanta with better food and cultural amenities in general.

But DC is on a whole other level, and you'll see it by the lightening of your pockets.

Personally, my order would be DC, Houston, then Atlanta, but like I said before, you can't go wrong. Good luck getting a job in Atlanta though.

Hope this helps, rather than just confusing you further lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston