Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:53 AM

43 posts, read 88,982 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We're relocating to the Houston area this summer from San Diego. Trying to decide between building in League City master planned communities, like Westover Park, or buying in historic league city (new construction but in neighborhood with 100 year old homes) or building in Sienna Plantation.

We fell in love with Sienna Plantation but the drive is about 15 more minutes to my husband's job than the League City area. I wasn't crazy about League City except the historic area, I thought was very charming. My husband is willing to drive the extra 15 minutes to his work because he also was very impressed with Sienna Plantation. But, we are trying to figure out resale on each area.

Do any of you know which area would be more desirable to live? We may have to get transferred with his job in another 4 or 5 years and just wondering down the road, which area would be better for resale or renting our home?

Thoughts?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,294,231 times
Ask your Realtor for comparables and sales in each area. It will show days on market and sales price vs purchase price plus number of sales in given time frame. In the past Sienna resale was pretty slow not sure about the other areas.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:08 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,303,741 times
Living in Sienna, I have nothing but good things to say about the area. Depending on your budget depends on how fast the homes move. Lately things have been picking up, and homes that are priced properly, are moving quickly. Those that aren't tend to linger.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:40 PM

thanks for the replies. we are going to spend about 250K on a home. either a Perry, DR Horton or Darling home.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,568,238 times
With the extension of the Fort Bend Tollway all the way to Sienna's main entrance, It's a pretty stable bet. You're in a desirable county, school district and community. Sienna, in my opinion, might have higher crime because of nearby hoods like Fresno and north Missouri City, but it's not too bad.

The only real difference I would see between these areas is diversity. Missouri City (Sienna) is a lot more diverse than League City. It has a lot of middle and upper income african americans and asians. LC is very white, baptist, conservatives, etc... in the master planned communities. So really I'd say the only difference is the culture you would like to live around.

Other than that, it's apples to apples except for the tollway (which is convenient but pricy and going al the way up to 59 to get into town would be nuts).

Old 04-12-2012, 04:52 PM

Do any of you know about the Tollroad going all the way through the entire Sienna community? I know the first part has been approved but the second proposed part will go through the Brazos River and we have been looking at a lot that would be about 250 yards from the proposed part of the tollroad. Nothing has been approved yet but the sales lady said maybe in 10 years or so that it will but it will cost billions of dollars to build over the river.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:19 PM

12 posts, read 26,184 times
The current toll extension to sienna parkway is scheduled to be completed by end of this year, in time for the connection between LJ parkway and Sienna Ranch Rd. to be completed; this will connect both Riverstone and Sienna and allows easier access to the toll from Riverstone).

The next project that has been approved is an underpass of FortBend toll underneath state highway 6, which is planned for 2014.

The toll extension from Sienna Parkway to Sienna Ranch is few years away; it is still not funded yet, I doubt it will be 10 years like the sales person was talking about. Sienna South (the new master planned community south of Sienna) won’t survive without it. Sienna South will start within the next 5 years after current Sienna Planation finishes the last of its section which is opening up fall 2013.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:14 PM

103 posts, read 438,261 times
Sienna homes are selling pretty good right now and I expect they will continue to do so in the future. What I like about Sienna is that because of its unique beauty, many transplants choose to call it home. My neighborhood has people from TN, PA, WA, MN, CO, and AK! Love that! The tight HOA rules do keep the community looking good by keeping those that don't want to maintain their homes out. Sienna Plantation keeps improving! We moved from So Cal in 2007 and plan on staying in Sienna for a good 10 more years. I know about six CA families in Sienna very well! And hear about more all the time.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:24 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeIsGood View Post
Sienna homes are selling pretty good right now and I expect they will continue to do so in the future. What I like about Sienna is that because of its unique beauty, many transplants choose to call it home. My neighborhood has people from TN, PA, WA, MN, CO, and AK! Love that! The tight HOA rules do keep the community looking good by keeping those that don't want to maintain their homes out. Sienna Plantation keeps improving! We moved from So Cal in 2007 and plan on staying in Sienna for a good 10 more years. I know about six CA families in Sienna very well! And hear about more all the time.
Agreed. On this thread alone, I see that there are 3 transplanted SoCal families currently in Sienna.

rbash - you seem to know a lot about the plans for the Tollway through Sienna. Is that info readily available? Any insight on the proposed Town Center?

Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 45,711 times
As a local, I would avoid Sienna. The property values are sure to go down soon because of the schools and neighborhood crime. Google 'Sienna Sinners' or 'Sienna Gang' and you will see what the families are like in that area. Some may defend it, but I can say I personally would not invest in property in that neighborhood or want my two kids going to those schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston