Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 PM

25 posts, read 59,785 times

Advertisements

GPA is important and as one said communication skills is equally important. Think of it like this, your GPA and classes taken in school is what gets you the interview. After that it is all about communication and how you sell yourself and what you learned. Be ready and don't slack, college grads will get tested by paper and whiteboard to see what you learned from school. And if you want a solid career in Oil and Energy you better apply yourself in school and take the hard coarses and have a respectable GPA. Also economics, political science, art, communications degree, imo are fluff degrees. This could be ignorance speaking but you will find it VERY hard to get into a career that pays well and the median income for those jobs are generally low. Finance can be rewarding and UH Bauer offers quality certifications in oil and gas trading, Six Sigma, etc. I am really impressed by what they offer their students, they are placing those kids ahead of the pack in what they offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 10:12 AM

875 posts, read 1,663,125 times
I agree that GPA's and work history is important for any field, especially in Accounting and Finance. But IT skills are also important. While in school I attended many business conferences and ERP (Enterprise Resource and Planning) systems are what most companies are turning too or already have implemented. Certifications in these systems will help land jobs and even get you interviews. I have a certification in one and it has helped me land my current job and I'm going back for more certs. Not saying that this is the only way, but its a good way to put you ahead of the pack. Taking courses like Management Information Systems and Accounting Information Systems or some computer science courses will look good on your resume as well. NETWORKING IS KEY in any field, for Oil and Gas most people who work in that field have know someone to get on, that's just from my experiences and interactions with people in the field.

SAP is a well known ERP system for some oil companies and the Fortune 500 companies, other companies are looking to implement this system as well. Oracle is another system that some companies use and I believe this is the most used ERP system for companies in general.

http://www.growthmarkets-oil.com/age...0and%20Gas.pdf

http://www.sap.com/india/about/compa.../pdfs/ongc.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: