Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 AM

13 posts, read 17,881 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I'd like to thank you in advance for viewing my thread and offering assistance. I am a single mother with two daughters, who will be ages 4 & 9 at the time I plan to move next year from Milwaukee, WI. Due to Houston's HUGE size, I have no idea of the areas I should be looking into. I realize a big part of this plays into where I will be working, but I figure if I can get a jump on the areas I find suitable for living, then I can tailor my job search to be as close as allowed to those areas. It helps that job search engines allow searching by zip code and Google maps tells me how far the commute is between points since I'm unfamiliar with the area. What I am looking to find out is, which areas/neighborhoods are considered to be safer and family-friendly, as well as offer nice schools? I'm on the younger side, 29, so I would rather areas that won't bore me to death LOL. However, I'd sacrifice that for a nice area for my children. In order of importance I'm looking for:

1. Safety
2. Schools
3. Affordability
4. Accessible to shopping and entertainment

I'm not sure how the price ranges work in Houston for 2 bedrooms in these areas because I've received conflicting reports, but please list what you have, the side of town/area and I will look into it from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 06:17 AM

613 posts, read 1,001,980 times
Budget?

Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,487,875 times
77079 or western 77024. Best schools in Houston,safe,and CityCentre is there so you can still have fun. It's an urban -burb.
Of course if you work south of town,it wouldn't be a good location.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Budget?
Again I don't know how pricing works because one of the main things I hear about Houston is that you can get more for your dollar for housing than here in Milwaukee. But when doing a search, I ran across nice LOOKING properties for under $900/mo, but the reviews were all terrible. Almost all comments said that the places were roach-infested, high crime and stay away, which is why I turned here to get help with areas to look in. (I am very interested in Alief Montessori and tried to find housing not far from there). If I can avoid spending $900-1000 I'd like too, but if it calls for me to be flexible and spend that I'll do so.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MiMi_ View Post
Again I don't know how pricing works because one of the main things I hear about Houston is that you can get more for your dollar for housing than here in Milwaukee. But when doing a search, I ran across nice LOOKING properties for under $900/mo, but the reviews were all terrible. Almost all comments said that the places were roach-infested, high crime and stay away, which is why I turned here to get help with areas to look in. (I am very interested in Alief Montessori and tried to find housing not far from there). If I can avoid spending $900-1000 I'd like too, but if it calls for me to be flexible and spend that I'll do so.
Sorry I meant avoid spending OVER $900-1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: