Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2007, 06:08 PM

16 posts, read 134,679 times

Advertisements

Well, I've researched suburbs in Houston for months and now I'm back to where I started, inside the loop. The wife and I would like to live in the city and close to my employer (Texas Medical Center). We are considering the Rice Military, Memorial Park and Medical Center neighborhoods. I'm not sure how family friendly these areas are however. Our little one is still a few years from school and when that time arrives it will likely be a private school anyway. We are not sure to buy or rent, in which case we will likely rent. How safe is it to walk and live in these neighborhoods? Seems most townhomes in Rice Military are gated. What is the population like (singles vs. couples vs. families)? Is Houston pedestrian and/or bike friendly? Is traffic still a nightmare within the loop? Is the housing market and therefore resale value inside the loop stronger than in the suburbs (ones still building that is)? Any other neighborhood recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 07:36 PM

25 posts, read 123,063 times
There are a few family friendly neighbourhoods in the inner loop. I only know of the ones near Rice as we live around there, and have two toddlers. Try Braes Heights, Ayrshire, Knollwood etc areas, Upper kirby, also West University, Southgate and Bellaire. But a good house in any of these areas will be at least $350-400000 at least, and higher in West University. Rentals about $2000 and up. There are sometimes sidewalks and sometimes not and I notice a lot of people just walk on the streets. In the areas I mentioned, there are nice parks.

We went to look at the Rice Military area when we were looking for a house. It's got loads of recent developments. We didn't like the really narrow streets and absolutely no sidewalks. But houses are cheaper here.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:37 PM

11 posts, read 74,671 times
I love the inner loop. It is very expensive. I feel it is for people who can afford it or young college or single people. I lived in an apartment near West U for a year and half before I built a house in Sienna Plantation which is a suburb of Houston. I liked Montrose. Very nice homes. Rice Military seems fake and boxy and has narrow streets. West U and Montrose are my choices, if I were you.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:42 AM

16 posts, read 134,679 times
Thank you both for the replies. Txbootsy, how do you like sienna plantation. That is one of the neighborhoods we first considered, but the long commute to the med center and the supposed shady areas near sienna made us a little nervous.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,641 times
Default Family friendly neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by chologringo View Post
I'm not sure how family friendly these areas are however.
I don't know the name of the neighborhood, but it is south of Rice University, bounded by Kirby, University, Main, & Holcombe. I lived there for 3 years and really liked it. I saw quite a few young families there. You can walk/bike around that neighborhood, and it's really close to the Medical Center. But, it is expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chologringo View Post
Is traffic still a nightmare within the loop?
Hard to say, when you live inside a nightmare, it's just normal, right? I didn't have much problems when I lived there, but then I don't let traffic bother me too much.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:53 AM

76 posts, read 388,660 times
Lol, traffic will always be a nightmare, but you get used to it I really don't mind it anymore because I've learned alt routes and the best times to drive

Old 04-13-2007, 02:10 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
I second West University. You'll have to pay for it though. But yes, the land and homes are more valuable than in the suburbs.
We made a huge profit off our townhouse in the Memorial area when we sold it. Our house out here in the 'burbs, I doubt we'll make much profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: