Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,968,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
No smart business reason in it, just a simple reality of mergers. One merger partner is always in the upper position. The "winner"retains its corporate HQ, its name, etc. That is why the Continental name no longer exists and why the HQ is in Chicago. I also don't understand why people are so upset about it. That is just life in the business world.

On the other hand, as somebody else mentioned, I no longer like the ex-Continental because United is a horrible airline.
Except Continental's management took over. The merger wasnt happening unless Chicago was the HQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,838,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Waste Management moved it's headquarters from Chi-Town to Houston, does anybody think people in Chicago stewed about losing one corp HDs ? Of course not, they took a loss, picked themselves up, and moved on.
On the other hand, a lot of people in Houston acted like a bunch of little kids crying and bellyaching because they lost a single headquarters to another city.
Chicago is more of an international city than Houston at this time by way of being a more mature city, but there's no way Houston will close that lead by sapping the strength of it's primary airport thru spreading out international flight connections to a second airport.
Most people in Houston aren't sophisticated enough about the aviation industry to understand that, so hopefully it's corporate leaders will save the city and it's inexperienced mayor from making a mistake that would harm it and it's growth over the long-term thru a decision that would have an adverse effect upon one of the primary components of it's infrastructure ?
Well I guess we're lucky that we have your sophistication to explain it to people who back it but don't understand the aviaition industry as well as you, like, I dunno, the Director of the airport system.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
This is good. Now I hope they can fix up the area around Hobby Airport.
Hope springs eternal.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:22 PM

There is an analysis on it here:

Today’s the day for the airport report – Off the Kuff

Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 AM

293 posts, read 910,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Hope springs eternal.
I actually think it is doable. It would be a huge effort though, and I seriously doubt it will happen.

The long drive between Bush and downtown, however, is impossible to fix. And it gives Houston a huge black eye with out of town visitors. They come and go without seeing the better parts of the city.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 AM

954 posts, read 1,551,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Do you work for United because you're post doesn't make any sense. Not sure if you understand the capitalism or not.
Hey man, I wouldn't work in the aviation industry, those people get treated like dogs. Use to be a good industry, but not for along time now.
BTW, have you guys in Houston still got that little Ellington airfield where the Air National Guard is ? If so, you should start offering service to Tijuana from there, that way you'll have 3 international airports in Houston. and all of them
rinky-dink.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 AM

954 posts, read 1,551,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
to set us dumb Texans strait.

and please explain how competition will harm growth long term.
You probably will end up with cheaper fares between Houston and places like Monterrey and Cancun, but the downside is that you will probably also completely lose service to some other destinations like Rio, Sao Paulo, or Buenos Aires. Now if you like that sort of trade-off, then you should be happy with new international service at Hobby if it comes to pass.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,578,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Why do people get so upset that Continental moved their headquarters to Chicago? There had to be some smart business reason for them doing it. People act like they did it to punish Houston. Businesses move when it makes economical sense to them. I'm sure Houston has benefited from companies moving here from other cities.
Because losing a company located in "business friendly Houston" flies in the face of local conventional wisdom, especially to "Communist Obamaland Chicago".

This is the impression I get from some natives I have spoken to in regards to this issue.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 AM

613 posts, read 1,002,950 times
Quote:
You probably will end up with cheaper fares between Houston and places like Monterrey and Cancun, but the downside is that you will probably also completely lose service to some other destinations like Rio, Sao Paulo, or Buenos Aires. Now if you like that sort of trade-off, then you should be happy with new international service at Hobby if it comes to pass.
Doubt it. These are lucrative routes for United. If Southwest is only going after the Mexico, Caribbean traffic, I can't see United backing away from South American routes. What are they going to do, route everyone through Chicago and flight non-stop to South America from there? Not likely, best economic sense for them remains routing through Houston.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,305,268 times
Quote:
Based on what analysis? SWA flying to compete with UA in short range tourist markets does not equate to UA moving their Latin America hub. They have no other alternatives with anything resembling similar infrastructure or location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston