Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 AM

4 posts, read 13,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrod8 View Post
Your dollar will go a lot further... I moved back to Houston from Miami because I couldn't afford a new house... I basically went from one of the worst neighborhoods in Miami (Homestead) to one of the nicest in Houston (Katy) I got a much bigger house than I had for less than half the price... You will make more money, doing the same job, and your expenses will be lower...

98% Venezuelan city...? Humm... are you talking about Weston (Westonzuela) or Doral ?? There are a few Venezuelans here, yours truly, but most of them are in Katy (Katyzuela) however, it is not an overwhelming majority You see the stickers in their cars as you drive by, but it's nothing like Miami...
Funny you mention it, I just recently had to move from Doral to Homestead to afford living without a roommate!

I have a cute little apartment in homestead, but oh my goodness, coming from a upper middle class primarily midwestern born and raised girl, I feel like I am living in the ghetto now. I liked doral better because it was a safer area, but unfortunately with everyhting being more expensive here and working for a cheaper company the only place I can afford is Homestead. Not to mention, Miami is like the city of dog haters. They have the WORST pet restrictions ever. I am a single lady living in a bad city the only reason I feel comfortable is because of my big scary looking dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 AM

302 posts, read 955,842 times
I lived in Hollywood/Pembroke for 5 years, and then in 04 decided to move south since that's where the "expansion" was heading... bought a lot of properties down there and made some decent money, but got stuck on the last one (which I was living in)... After a year there, I started looking around and the cheapest place was homestead at almost $400K for a 3 bd 1500 sq ft house... no way!

I have seen houses here in nicer neighborhoods for $90K... new homes that is... Katy will probably be closer to $150K-$175K...

Homestead started getting pretty bad in 07.... people couldn't pay their mortgage so they were leaving the homes and moving on... The Townhouse I bought in '04 for $160K went into floreclosure 2 years after I stop paying... To think that in 05 I was offered $275K and didn't take it because I was concerned about how much I would have to pay in taxes... oh well... if I knew then what I know now...

Old 03-19-2012, 05:21 PM

18 posts, read 32,890 times
Make sure to check out friendswood and Pearland

Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 PM

28 posts, read 28,245 times
"Too many Spanish Speakers?" And you are coming to Houston? Really.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,845 times
Default thinking of moving to Houston?

I have lived in Houston 8 years now. Prior lived in Austin, Phoenix (17 years), briefly in Seattle, and San Francisco (10 years). Been to Miami many times.

IF you are working and career motivated (typical employee type, up to say age 55) Houston is the best place to be of those cities. Particularly during this recession.

Why?
1. Best job market
2. Lowest cost of living of any of my previous cities
3. nicest people of any of my previous cities

IF you are not working (retired, work from home etc.) I do not recommend Houston. The summers are long and hot. Can even be worse than Phoenix (as it was in 2011).

People are here to make money...

IF you do come here, ONLY consider living "inside the loop" (inside the 610 loop freeway). Otherwise, Houston is a commuting nightmare.

Note: of my previous cities:
1. Austin-- why anybody thinks this place is "special" is beyond me. It isn't...
2. Phoenix-- cleanest, best run of my cities
3. Seattle-- nice place to live if you are not bothered by weeks with no sun
4. San Francisco-- only for the very wealthy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston