Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2007, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 11,553 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I are about to purchase a townhome in the Montrose area, specifically on Colquitt between Woodhead and Driscoll (between Richmond, West Alabama, Shepard, Dunlavy) and wanted to get a feel for how the crime was in the area. I've checked out the HPD crime stats and it seems like there have been many incidents in the area such as Assault, Burglaries, Auto Thefts..etc. However, certain websites list this area as a high crime risk area. For those that live in the area..how bad really is it? Are the streets walkable at night? Can I go for a jog on the weekend without getting mugged? I actually grew up in Sugar Land, but have been living in Boston (in the city) for the last 6 years and now I'm moving back. Also is there a park close by that we would be able to walk to? And finally any good restaurants, bars, shops that are safe to walk to?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 06:47 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Default Go for it.

Is she your girlfriend or is she your "beard"? In all seriousness, Montrose is a great place to live and I would say has about an average amount of crime for a neighborhood in the loop. The more money you have the more likely you are to become a victim of a burglary unless of course you live in a gated complex. If you are the least bit homophobic, I would recommend living elsewhere. Geez you are from the area I guess you wouldn't be moving there if you were.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:26 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
I lived on West Main around the corner from there for about 20 years (just moved recently). The crime in that area really tends to be a lot of petty crime but a nuisance none the less. Biggest problems are getting your car broken into and things getting stolen off your patio or out of your yard. Always park your car in the garage (especially overnight, days not much of a problem) and do not leave anything on your patio/yard except plants, lawn furniture, and inexpensive stuff. Never leave your bike out for more than a short while whether or not it is chained. My car was broken into at least 7 times while parked on the street in front of my unit, bike stolen (it was only out for three hours) and other misc. stuff.

Admittedly, the area has gotten a bit better since they tore down some of the bad apartments on Dunlavy and ones on Woodhead and put in condos, but there are still problems (ie the gang fight at the park on Dunlavy).

Old 09-11-2007, 08:28 AM

9 posts, read 81,865 times
My sister and her husband live near UST. Their car had been broken into twice in as many years before they got a townhouse with a garage. You will definitely want to watch out for petty crime. Don’t leave stuff lying around, always park your car and bike in the garage.

I don’t know about parks, but there is tons of shopping and restaurants in that whole Shepherd-Richmond area. Since you grew up in Sugarland, you probably know that Houston isn’t as walkable as many other cities (traffic, heat, etc.), but there are definitely many great options close by that location. I think it's a great part of the city if you want to be close to everything.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 10,313 times
Yeah, there's not extensive crime but you have to keep your eyes open in Montrose. There are plenty of transients and desperate homeless people wandering the area, and I have witnessed burglaries in broad daylight, but I don't feel threatened living here. Montrose is an awesome area, and it is no more dangerous than any other major city, with groovy vibes and plenty of urban culture.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:09 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
You wont get mugged...my friend in Montrose on mandell and Richmond runs everyday and is fine. They have had bikes taken from their garage...but they left it open by acciednt. Other than that nothing. They walk to the Harp,and the two Mexican places, and Lucky burger and the dog park all the time.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:34 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
I am just north of there in Montrose, I've been here for a couple months and haven't witnessed any crime. I've been warned by neighbors to always close the garage because things will be stolen. If you live in the city in Boston and are used to city living and normal precautions then you'll be fine. I always see plenty of joggers and people on bikes, even at night. There are lots of great restaurants and places to go in Montrose, some of my favs are brasil, empire cafe, hugo's, anvil etc. You'd be able to walk to them from where you are. Check out walkscore.com, it really helped me when I first moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: