Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 04:47 PM

25 posts, read 125,823 times

Advertisements

My husband and I need to furnish our house, we did go around for furniture.. But we could not tell if furniture is in good quality or not ..
I go home and surf the net, see one set of dining furniture at Star and the similar one at Basset (custom) with a little less. If we buy it this Sat 03/03/2012, then they have the 20% - 30% off ..

So, please, tell me if you have experience with Bassett and their product quality . Otherwise please recommend some quality furniture store.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
I recently bought a recliner at both Basset and Star furnitures. Both were good on customer service and the value seemed good. The inner workings of the one bought at Star was made of steel and should last longer. The one I got at Star was more expensive but better quality. I recently moved to Plano and have found consignment stores for used high end furniture. I can buy consignment furniture of much much much higher quality at the ones here and prices are 1/2 to 1/3 of the price of equivalent new on sale. The stuff in the consignment store is from high end homes where couples are downsizing. I dont know of a source with comparable quality in Houston but would encourage you to look for one probably in a higher end area for homes. The quality in the two stores in DFW I found have furniture so lightly used you would be hard pressed to find any signs of wear.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:55 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
I have Bassett recliner, two couches, dresser, and two bed side tables. Will likely purchase casual dining set from Bassett.

I like the store because of the style (traditional, customizing options, classic). IMO also MUCH better quality than any X furniture store you can find in Houston that sells their own brand or market ones (Star, Gallery, Ashley, Home Store, Crate and Barrel etc).

My basset dresser and tables are all wood (better than having metal pieces). The wood is real wood. Even if you get wood veneers the wood veneer is real hardwood veneer. For example, much of Crate and Barrel furniture the veneer is actually paper like wallpaper.

The couch actually has all the pieces of solid wood and built to last - if you sit on the arm piece or back it won't break or crack. Some furniture stores sell coaches where the structure under the arm is cardboard.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,519,758 times
Most of our house is Bassett and Star furniture. It is a step up from Roomstore, Rooms to Go, Ashley, etc.. But a lot of it is still made in other countries such as Vietnam or China, so it's not super high quality stuff. Our Bassett bedroom set is over 10 years old now and looks almost as good as it did when we bought it, it's held up quite well. Same goes for our Bassett dining room.

Bassett also offers free interior design services, which we took advantage of. Someone comes to your house to see what areas you need to furnish. Takes measurements and talks to you about your likes and dislikes. Then they go back to their store and fill a room with furniture and decorations for you to consider. We bought almost everything our designer picked out except for one or two things. We found it very convenient and helpful in furnishing our new home that was very empty.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,595,702 times
We purchased the Guilford custom storage, office and entertainment center a few years back and are happy with the quality and service they provided. The sales professional we worked with was knowledgeable and was able to get us a great price, since we paid cash.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:44 PM

76 posts, read 277,217 times
I'll go to Star, Dillards or any other furniture store to see what I like then look it up and order from North Carolina - still so much cheaper even with the shipping charges. I bought Basset chairs from there as well as Hooker furniture (desk, bedroom set) and Bernhardt dining table.

Basset quality seems good - I have an entertainment console and bar stools

Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times
Support the USA and buy Bassett. People complain about jobs going over seas, so support companies that keep jobs here in the good ole US of A. While it may be more money compared to others out there they build the furniture in North Carolina.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,583,955 times
Bel sucks!
We bought at rooms to go, decent price and quality.
Store was nice, customer service sucks and we had two defective items.
Gallery furniture has good and bad.
Bought from star before, good stuff, just pricey!
No idea about basset

Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 PM

47 posts, read 134,692 times
I bought Bassett couches 15 years ago, and they have held up extremely well. I would definitely shop there again.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 AM

25 posts, read 125,823 times
Hello,

Thank you all for your reply, we miss last week for the 30% sale, still did not go to the final decision yet. But I am still interested in some tips for paying cash and negotiate the price at Bassett, can we do that? We talk to them once, but they did not mention anything about that discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: