Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,785,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
The thing about the city of Dallas is that it's such a classic example of the old idiom "All hat, no cattle". And what's worse it's constantly taking full credit for any and all things it's simply a part of, an integral part of to be sure, but still just a part of in North Texas.
It is? I didnt realize that the city council or the mayor or some other city official came out and said "We take credit for everything in North Texas".

Like it or not Dallas is the largest city and economic center of the DFW area and its also a name thats known worldwide. Fort Worth isnt, so its easier to label things as "Dallas" so people outside Texas understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,233,863 times
Dallas and Ft. Worth should just consolidate and become one big city. Problem solved.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:59 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,001,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Come on up to Fort Worth though. Sundance Square is seriously loads of fun.

Sundance Square - Located in the Heart of Downtown Fort Worth
I love Sundance Square. The FW Division makes DFW fun

Old 12-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Nice! Take notes Houston! We need to convert our Main Street in Downtown into something like Sundance Square.

Thanks for the info.
They are. it is taking time but it is getting there.

They improved the sports presence but they didn't do it quite right. The interface (or lack there of) is wack.

They improved parks, and are continuing improving.

They are pushing for more DTwn and near town residences.

They are improving the shopping experience by creating a shopping district that connects the Skyline district, main street square and the Sports District. This one will be the major interface gainer.

Dtown is getting more and more interesting
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Dallas and Ft. Worth should just consolidate and become one big city. Problem solved.
what Dallas needs to do is smack down its burbs. FW can handle itself, its the Dallas burbs that are noisy. Plano, Irving, Mesquite, Frisco, etc have gotten two big for their britches.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:31 PM

55 posts, read 109,292 times
I was reading the comments section of the article and found one very interesting:

Quote:
The plain fact of the matter is that Houston has a decades-long headstart on Dallas when it comes to the arts (both museums and performing arts). Houston built its theater district back in the 80's, about a quarter century before Dallas; ditto for museums. The endowments for Houston institutions dwarf that of Dallas, with the exception of the Symphony.

The biggest difference I see is between the attitudes between the two cities. "Dallas", aka North Texas, is a collection of far-flung municipalities serving "white flight". This is evident in the attitude of many people in the region when they talk about where they are from - Arlington, Plano, etc. There is typically disdain for other cities. Because of this, there is not strong patronage of Dallas by those living up in the northern cities; ditto for Fort Worth.

Houston does not suffer from this problem. Everyone there feels they are from Houston. There is much greater and broader support for Houston institutions which leads to greater patronage and donations.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeturro View Post
I was reading the comments section of the article and found one very interesting:

The plain fact of the matter is that Houston has a decades-long headstart on Dallas when it comes to the arts (both museums and performing arts). Houston built its theater district back in the 80's, about a quarter century before Dallas; ditto for museums. The endowments for Houston institutions dwarf that of Dallas, with the exception of the Symphony.

The biggest difference I see is between the attitudes between the two cities. "Dallas", aka North Texas, is a collection of far-flung municipalities serving "white flight". This is evident in the attitude of many people in the region when they talk about where they are from - Arlington, Plano, etc. There is typically disdain for other cities. Because of this, there is not strong patronage of Dallas by those living up in the northern cities; ditto for Fort Worth.

Houston does not suffer from this problem. Everyone there feels they are from Houston. There is much greater and broader support for Houston institutions which leads to greater patronage and donations.
Although I agree with article, I just want to point out that Houston's Theater district is older than the 80's

The Houston Symphony is about 100 years old and has been performing at Jones Hall for 50 years.

The Alley Theater is about 70 years old and has been at its current location, also named Alley, for about 45 years.

The Houston Grand Opera is about 55 years old

If anything the Theater district has shrank since the 70's as a lot of the old style lavishly designed theaters, like the Majestic (Houston had 3 of those), have disappeared. But I agree, Dallas seems more like a big brother in the metro, instead of big bull in the pen.

Houston is a city with burbs. Dallas is about 20 cities each with burbs of their own.

I think that is why Dallas Sports gets hit a lot. The other metro's with sports teams out of the major city have the teams in nameless burbs, but in DFW they are in major cities that are strong employment centers. I mean Oakland's teams are Oakland's not SF's. The Teams outside NY, Miami etc are not in powerful burbs.

I think that is why Houston's posters refuse to accept Dallas as a bigger city. Dallas is in no way bigger. As a metro it has more people but it takes Dallas plus 20 to match up to Houston solo.

Another comment that is repeated a lot in the comments section is how Dallas builds pretty buildings while Houston's have more to back it up than the buildings. That is something I have been saying from my first day here. Dallas builds for show. they always go so big and the quality never matches the grandeur of the structure. Dallas always has to try to make the largest, or longest...

I am not saying that pretty buildings are bad, I wish some of these buildings in Houston would be prettier, but I think that Dallas too often builds for show.

Last edited by HtownLove; 12-25-2011 at 07:58 PM..

Old 12-25-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

I think that is why Houston's posters refuse to accept Dallas as a bigger city. Dallas is in no way bigger. As a metro it has more people but it takes Dallas plus 20 to match up to Houston solo
Thats a stretch. If were talking about Houston by itself, its 2.1 million people whereas Dallas is 1.2 million. Fort Worth is about 750k and Arlington is 300k. Those three equal more Houstons population.

Dallas plus two? Ok. Dallas plus 20? No way.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Thats a stretch. If were talking about Houston by itself, its 2.1 million people whereas Dallas is 1.2 million. Fort Worth is about 750k and Arlington is 300k. Those three equal more Houstons population.

Dallas plus two? Ok. Dallas plus 20? No way.
talking about Dallas Metro Division and Houston ETJ. Both about 4.3M

Like I said as a metro they match up (with FW and Arlington etc), but Dallas City and its 8 component counties in its division with over 20 cities match up to the City of Houston's ETJ.

ergo it takes Dallas plus 20 to match up to Houston. the cities don't match. Houston is clearly bigger in aspects. as a region, yeah there are more people in North Texas.

And Dallas needs to stop trying to hog credit for BEING north Texas.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
talking about Dallas Metro Division and Houston ETJ. Both about 4.3M

Like I said as a metro they match up (with FW and Arlington etc), but Dallas City and its 8 component counties in its division with over 20 cities match up to the City of Houston's ETJ.

ergo it takes Dallas plus 20 to match up to Houston. the cities don't match. Houston is clearly bigger in aspects. as a region, yeah there are more people in North Texas.
I thought that pretty much went without saying. The city of Houston offers more than the city of Dallas of course. It's when you look at the metro areas of both that they are more or less even.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I thought that pretty much went without saying. The city of Houston offers more than the city of Dallas of course. It's when you look at the metro areas of both that they are more or less even.
yeah, anyone would tell you that the metros are similar, but some in Dallas like to imply that the cities are even too. I think the cities are only similar on GDP.

apart from that Houston is bigger in area, people, art institutions, cultural institutions, schools, sports, air travel (Both IAH and Hobby are busier than Love) etc etc.

Of Course if the burbs were not su powerful Dallas would be ahead in categories such as: certainly sports, air travel (those two they are ahead as a region), but then again it is a double edge sword. the burbs support and take away from Dallas, and who knows what it would be without them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston