Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,295,494 times

Advertisements

I work at Post Oak and 610, and on a horrible day it's an hour. On average 30-40 minutes, no traffic 20 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 02:06 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
Every day, Every Hour of the Day, is horrible day on 610 over there...

Old 12-14-2011, 02:46 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,232 times
Westbury/Maplewood/Meyerland would be great if you could find the right school combo and the right price. Short commute. Look for these schools:
elementary: Kolter, Parker, Herod
middle: Johnston or Pin Oak
hs: Bellaire or magnet/vanguard, but deadlines must be looming... look into this quickly.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:02 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,131 times
Live inside the loop, don't you want your kids growing up "thoe'd" ??

Old 12-14-2011, 05:26 PM

644 posts, read 1,354,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Westbury/Maplewood/Meyerland would be great if you could find the right school combo and the right price. Short commute. Look for these schools:
elementary: Kolter, Parker, Herod
middle: Johnston or Pin Oak
hs: Bellaire or magnet/vanguard, but deadlines must be looming... look into this quickly.
Deadline is January 6, 2012. Pin Oak is NOT a neighborhood zoned school. The only kids that go to Pin Oak are kids that have applied and made it. FYI, there is a wait list of 1700+ to get into Pin Oak. Johnston is very well known for its fine arts department and academics. Bellaire is a magnet and neighborhood school. It is a wonderful school, but keep in mind it is HUGE.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffett View Post
Omg, you guys are awesome...thanks for the zip codes that really helps when looking on HAR.com. I do have a realtor but he is a Woodlands area guy, and I will still use him cause I really like him but I thought I would do some research before making him do the drive to show us homes.

Yes my price max would be close to 280K.....(we want to be able to travel and not be house poor) I would LOVE to live IN the city, but I am realistic and know I can't afford it...so I was thinking there might be some areas "around" the area of the city we could afford....Yes...3 kids in all three ranges of schools...(elem,middle & HS)....

So is North Sugarland okay??
I would be careful about the realtor you choose. You may really like the Woodlands guy, but if you are looking in the city you really should have a realtor who knows the area. Trust me, a good realtor who really knows your target area is invaluable.

I will also say that we moved into a beautifully remodeled home (with 3 boys ages 9, 12 and 15) in the city for under 275k, so yes, you can live in the city for your price range and send your kids to good schools.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:09 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,501,448 times
I agree with choosing a realtor that specializes in the area, but I know 90% of people on here would shake their heads at statements that good public schools K-12 can be found in Eastwood... no matter what skewed stats you can pull/fabric from TAKS..not happening. Maybe a decade from now...but not now. Sorry.

I like Eastwood, I think it has a chance, but if I lived there NOW I would put kids in private so THEY had a chance. Of course, even living in Memorial I would still never trust education to the government these days. It's crap.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 12-14-2011 at 06:35 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I agree with choosing a realtor that specializes in the area, but I know 90% of people on here would shake their heads at statements that good public schools K-12 can be found in Eastwood... no matter what skewed stats you can pull/fabric from TAKS..not happening. Maybe a decade from now...but not now. Sorry.

I like Eastwood, I think it has a chance, but if I lived there NOW I would put kids in private so THEY had a chance. Of course, even living in Memorial I would still never trust education to the government these days. It's crap.
Okay, I respect your opinion. I was just offering it up because I know from experience that driving from Eastwood to the area she is referring to is a really pleasant drive. I have driven it many times early in the morning and later in the day. The drive through downtown and on Memorial is a beautiful, scenic, low traffic, low stress drive.

My kids have just as good of a chance as any private school kid has. People forget how important parent involvement is. I went to what would be considered an inner city, rough school. However, I went to a very good college and got a degree in Chemical Engineering. I have no regrets about any of it and I wouldn't change any part of my educational experience.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,053,807 times
I live in the city for under 200k over 2000 sqft. neighbors are professionals, many doctors, we are both reformed lawyers and engineers. good schools, but if one is leary I can't imagine a side of town that has as many privates, magnets or charters within such a short distance. straight shot up to the Galleria (5 miles away). I live in Westbury. People need to stop blindly recommending the suburbs to people. those commutes would kill me too. they are only getting worse

Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
It's interesting, because in the United States calling a public school a "government" school is actually pejorative, since it implies the government is meddling too much and/or government influence is inherently negative

In other countries calling a school a "state school" is not such a bad thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston