Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:07 PM

37 posts, read 192,244 times

Advertisements

After reading several posts about Conroe and the surrounding areas, I'm not sure what to think. My husband has a possible job op in Conroe on the NW side and we wouldn't know where to live. We have a 5 year old who would be in public school, so that is VERY important to us. We would need to be a safe neighborhood with easy access to schools, shopping, church, etc. I am also a stay at home mom and would very much like to be around others who have similar interests/backgrounds and are raising small children.

If we were to live in The Woodlands, approx. how long is the commute to NW Conroe? How is the Lake Conroe area? Is Spring too far?

Any help you can give would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 01:21 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,447,239 times
If that were my situation, I'd live in Montgomery ISD. No Question about it. The hills, the trees, the lakes, the recreation.

Bentwater. Walden. Etc.

There are dozens upon dozens of great neighborhoods around the lake that are VERY nice. The schools are some of the highest rated (7 schools total: 5 rated Exemplary, 1 Recognized, 1 Acceptable) in the entire Houston area. It is somewhat deceiving, because of the way schools are rated here in Texas, nonetheless they're still solid.

Great area. Lots to do, and not far away from other amenities. Ideal if your husband only has to commute to Conroe.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:56 PM

179 posts, read 858,512 times
The Woodlands is just south of Conroe. It has the best schools in Conroe ISD.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 AM

90 posts, read 362,263 times
The Woodlands is a great place to live, a short commute to Conroe, and all kinds of things to do for SAHMs. Spring is just a little further away, but not a bad place to live if you're in the north, closer to the Woodlands. It's cheaper to live in Spring, but you would probably drive to the Woodlands from there for your activities. The schools are not as good as the schools in the Woodlands, though. Klein ISD in Spring is much better than the Spring school district. I don't know anything about Montgomery, so I can't help, but I can't imagine there would be as much for a SAHM to do as it's kind of remote. There is a TON of stuff in the Woodlands for moms and kids.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 PM

24 posts, read 119,383 times
Welcome to Texas!!
When we first moved to Texas, we moved to Conroe. We loved the area where we bought... Crighton Ridge, however, after having lived there for 2 years and sending our kids to Conroe schools, we put our house up for sale. We now live in the Woodlands, and though I have a much smaller lot,18k square ft compared to 34K, I have noticed a big difference in the schools.
I also am in new home sales, and quite a few people, did not want to buy in Crighton Woods due to the schools. Due to my own personal experience, I could not lie to them. If you do not mind putting your kids in private school, Crighton Woods is nice, however I never went into Conroe. I always drove a little further and shopped in The Woodlands.
Also traffic on 105 is crazy!! just my 2 cents. Best of luck to you!!

Old 08-30-2007, 09:37 PM

Once again. Montgomery ISD. Not Conroe ISD.

Live near the lake. Prettier, nicer. More to do outside.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Once again. Montgomery ISD. Not Conroe ISD.

Live near the lake. Prettier, nicer. More to do outside.
In your opinion, whats wrong with Conroe ISD ? Just wondering!

Old 09-01-2007, 09:58 PM

Nothing wrong with Conroe ISD if you live in The Woodlands and outlying areas. With that said, if you have the freedom to be within a reasonable commute from Lake Conroe...by all means...live near the lake.

The Woodlands is a great community, but it doesn't compare to what you can get at the lake (apples to apples). Add to that, you've got great schools in Montgomery ISD. Out of 7 schools, 5 were rated exemplary. Add to that, Montgomery High School was one of the only rated 'Recognized' in the entire Houston area.

In short, you get more home for your money, lower taxes/fees, better lifestyle and smaller, highly-rated schools.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 PM

Some areas around Lake Conroe are pretty nice, Especially Bentwater. Only problem for us, was the commute.
Thanks for your reply!!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 PM

20 posts, read 81,490 times
We moved to Magnolia and we love it. I did my intership at Conroe Hospital and it was not far at all. We love the country part of Mangolia, but the closeness of shopping and the city. We go to the Woodlands for most things and Tomball too. Magnolia ISD is a great school too. We have been very happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston