Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,326,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Do you know about the business program at TSU (if you know any)? Im having a hard time trying to find information about it because the website sucks. One of my professors said they have a "ok" program for business. Is that true?
I've personally not heard much about it, but I can't say I've heard anything negative about it either. Just based off reputation alone though; I'd go with UH or UH:CL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 08:53 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,087,918 times
Unfortunately TSU due to mismanagement is not on the preferred list of schools. Go with the program that has the better reputation as your future employment status counts on it.

Old 10-30-2011, 04:57 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,076,077 times
I remember being a young buck and TSU losing all of its accreditation. not sure how long that lasted. it was around the time the president was fired for embezzling millions of dollars. that is enough reason for people to never attend that school. no matter when they got it back.

unfortunately the HBCUs in this area are joke schools. sorry. there are others in this country that are top notch

would so not recommend getting a finance degree unless it's from a top tier school OR you already work and your business is asking you to do it or it's to step up the ladder

general finances is = to general business degree. nice to have but nothing about it is marketable unless you have something to back it up. you can find plenty of unemployed BBA and MBAs from all sorts of schools.

if you go that route the most important thing is a side job doing something relevant or internships which are basically mandatory. for that connection the larger school is better. UH has a decent program.

(posted by a formerly unemployed MBA)

Old 10-30-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
I remember being a young buck and TSU losing all of its accreditation. not sure how long that lasted. it was around the time the president was fired for embezzling millions of dollars. that is enough reason for people to never attend that school. no matter when they got it back.

unfortunately the HBCUs in this area are joke schools. sorry. there are others in this country that are top notch

would so not recommend getting a finance degree unless it's from a top tier school OR you already work and your business is asking you to do it or it's to step up the ladder

general finances is = to general business degree. nice to have but nothing about it is marketable unless you have something to back it up. you can find plenty of unemployed BBA and MBAs from all sorts of schools.

if you go that route the most important thing is a side job doing something relevant or internships which are basically mandatory. for that connection the larger school is better. UH has a decent program.

(posted by a formerly unemployed MBA)
TSU never lost accreditation. Losing accreditation deals more with academics than administration. TSU wouldn't lose accreditation over that.

My uncle graduated from TSU and is now a successful accountant. TSU was a different place back in the day, but no one is going to consider you a joke simply because you graduated from TSU. Just ask over 32% of the AA pharmacy TSU majors working all over the country.

Like I said; I'd go with the other two, but TSU is a decent school when it comes to academics contrary to popular beliefs. It's the administration that's sneaky and not to be trusted.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:51 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,872,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
TSU never lost accreditation. Losing accreditation deals more with academics than administration. TSU wouldn't lose accreditation over that.

My uncle graduated from TSU and is now a successful accountant. TSU was a different place back in the day, but no one is going to consider you a joke simply because you graduated from TSU. Just ask over 32% of the AA pharmacy TSU majors working all over the country.

Like I said; I'd go with the other two, but TSU is a decent school when it comes to academics contrary to popular beliefs. It's the administration that's sneaky and not to be trusted.
"To each his own".....
Like I said, school is what you make it. Every school is definitely not perfect. Especially during these times, administration at universities and colleges are bound to get sneaky and crooked. Hell, they need/want money too. Also, I've heard about how good TSU's pharmacy school is.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,398,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Lol. That's like the second or third person to "remember" something that never even happened.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,243,710 times
its about you....not the school....as I know tons of TSU grads who are successful

TSU has got a bad rap for mismanagement but the governor appoint the board members and it seems like they have a hidden agenda for those appointments

UH has the size but I've hired a UH grad and listening to him, the large environment created a generic feel and doesn't feel like college

Old 11-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
its about you....not the school....as I know tons of TSU grads who are successful

TSU has got a bad rap for mismanagement but the governor appoint the board members and it seems like they have a hidden agenda for those appointments

UH has the size but I've hired a UH grad and listening to him, the large environment created a generic feel and doesn't feel like college
TSU doesn't either, but it does have more of close-knit feel. UH is definitely a commuter school. You got classes over at UH as large as 600 people! [hearsay] The largest a class will get here at TSU is at most 100.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:14 PM

875 posts, read 1,667,542 times
Texas Southern University:

I have been doing my research and visited the university and I have scratched this school completely off my list. I went to visit the campus (again) and all I did the whole time was shake my head. The people were unfriendly, they were acting as if they did not care about their work or my interest to the university. The campus landscaping is horrible, made me feel very un-welcomed, and the does not have a "college campus" feel. I tried to talk with someone from the Jesse H. Jones school of business but it seemed as if everyone was busy. I got pissed off and walked right across the street to U of H....

University of Houston:

Now I was very impressed with this university, the campus and the business program. Its been a while since I’ve been on the campus of U of H and that place has changed a lot. You hear a lot of people talk how good the business program is and they were right, Bauer School of Business is a great school. I have never been to a business school that looked like that before. I think what was pleasing was the technology that the school had, very advanced. The people were friendly even had an opportunity to talk with someone that took the time out to explain their program and the courses. Not to mention the campus really represents Houston diverse population. NOW U of H is a great school but the price is not really working out so well for me. Maybe my opinion will change once I talk more with some students that are actually in the program.

University of Houston- Clear Lake:

Once I stepped foot on UHCL I was also impressed with their MSA program. Very diverse for a school it size and very clean with a beautiful campus. The people were friendly and advisors were top notch. I like the fact that their class sizes were smaller and the price was very fit for a university its size. UHCL is a good school tucked away in a great location.

I find that U of H & UHCL are my best fits. ( Just having a hard time to choose )

I wish someone at TSU would have had time to talk to me. I really wanted to see what their program had to offer.

Thanks You CD for your comments. You guys have really helped me out.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:24 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,243,710 times
just go to Prairie View..lol...it has the college feel and a NW Houston campus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston