Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

It's that bad???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 06:37 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It's that bad???
You ever heard of Google Maps Street View. Yeah, check it out.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:40 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
i've personally never traveled down a major thoroughfare in a large city and gone to myself "now this is a beautiful roadway"

maybe lone stretches through nothing in N. Carolina are "pretty", but they are still roads. I don't foresee any roman ruins and beautiful fountains sprouting alongside the highway ever

Old 09-28-2011, 06:48 PM

3,576 posts, read 3,078,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejamiller View Post
Probably not. That area is such prime land considering its relatively closeness to downtown and the airport, plus it has its own business district like Greenspoint. Too bad that area will probably never be cleaned up.
If it is such "prime land" why is it usually either acres of vacant land, or crappy businesses with acres of parking? It seems to me that the land must be pretty cheap to support the businesses that it does.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
i've personally never traveled down a major thoroughfare in a large city and gone to myself "now this is a beautiful roadway"

maybe lone stretches through nothing in N. Carolina are "pretty", but they are still roads. I don't foresee any roman ruins and beautiful fountains sprouting alongside the highway ever
I think most drives in most cities are unremarkable. It is only those drives that are especially dismal or scenic that we remember. People seem to remember I45 N and S, so that says something about those roadways.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 PM

58 posts, read 90,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
I think all that "stuff" adds to the character of Houston...I hope it stays the way it is minus the abandoned car dealership part...they should at least "clean" that up and open a super, mega adult cineplex
I noticed this so-called ugliness as I drove by on I-45 during my recent trip to Houston. I think the signs and strip malls are tacky in a fun and authentic way. I actually liked it. It reinforced my belief that Houston is a working, down-to-earth sort of place. Besides, I've seen much uglier in some parts of Miami.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I think most drives in most cities are unremarkable. It is only those drives that are especially dismal or scenic that we remember. People seem to remember I45 N and S, so that says something about those roadways.
Another way of looking at I45 is to compare it to US59 thru Sugar Land, or I610 thru Bellaire. 610 and 59 may not be scenic, but they are a stark contrast to the majority of freeways in Houston. So, it CAN be done.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:39 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Another way of looking at I45 is to compare it to US59 thru Sugar Land, or I610 thru Bellaire. 610 and 59 may not be scenic, but they are a stark contrast to the majority of freeways in Houston. So, it CAN be done.
Stark contrast? I don't see US59 to Sugar Land being renamed the Scarlett Johansson Freeway anytime soon.

I used to think US59 Sugar Land to 610 was the ugliest road I had ever seen. Then I drove down 45N.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:46 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Stark contrast? I don't see US59 to Sugar Land being renamed the Scarlett Johansson Freeway anytime soon.

I used to think US59 Sugar Land to 610 was the ugliest road I had ever seen. Then I drove down 45N.

LOL.No freeway is beautiful, but 59S is certainly no glamour trip.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:03 PM

32 posts, read 81,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post

It's not meant to be a question of classical beauty. It's a question addressing the visual clutter, abandoned shops, and seedier, adult-oriented businesses that are particularly prominent along I-45. I don't think that freeways are meant to be beautiful (so much as functional), but I feel they also shouldn't be extensive collections of dilapidation and unabated blight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston