Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:29 AM

789 posts, read 1,531,724 times

Advertisements

I'm glad you enjoyed your time here OP. I'm also very glad that you got off the freeways. I'm more happy that you drove down many of the "main" streets of Houston. My girlfriend and I have done the same on many occasions. We actually went down almost 95% of the streets within the inner loop to look at neighborhoods. Well, I grew up in Houston's Southeast Side, and lived on the West side of Houston near the Galleria and Beltway 8. I also got around regularly to different parts. So we really stuck to the areas of Houston that have developed a lot since around the year 2000. Basically the West to the North Side of Downtown. But we have really driven around every neighborhood in the inner loop, which has lead to many a find. There are some great neighborhoods and spots that don't even get mentioned in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 PM

561 posts, read 974,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicsboy2000 View Post
Hi Houstonians,

I visited your city from September 5th to September 19th. I congratulate you folks on your city. I visited downtown, TMC, Hermann Park/Houston Zoo/Houston Museum of Natural Science,Discovery Green, The Water Wall, The University of Houston (next to I45). I stayed at the extended stay hotel at 59 and Sheppard. The hotel was conveniently located to many attractions. In addition to eating at restaurants (your culinary scene is simply incredible), I went to a local supermarket on Buffalo Speedway called HEB where the prices were much better than Publix. The selection in the bakery was better and the produce seemed fresher than Publix supermarket here in South Florida. In fact, I saw four supermarket chains in Houston. I believe more competition means better prices for people.

I tried to explore the area by driving the length of entire streets like Kirby, Main, Fannin, Richmond, Westheimer. I drove through affluent and poor neighborhoods: Montrose, Upper Kirby, River Oaks, Greenspoint, The Third Ward, Alief. Every city has its good and bad areas. Houston is no different. I also visited the suburbs and their attractions: The Woodlands, Sugar Land, Pearland, Kingwood, Katy, Kemah Boardwalk, San Jacinto Museum and Monument, Battleship Texas (where I was bitten repeatedly by mosquitoes), Space Center Houston/Johnson Space Center, Galveston Beach.

I traveled the entire length of the train line back and forth. I enjoyed all my travels and destinations (except for Battleship Texas where I was covered in mosquito bites).

Houston Pluses

*A lot to do in this city: parks, museums, sports, restaurants, live theatre, a beach just fifty miles away

*Customer service is flawless in Houston. Customer service in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale, Florida area where I live really stinks.

*Many jobs available for RNs like me. In fact, the economy/employment situation in general is better in Houston than South Florida-at least this was the impression I got.

*A very diverse population of people that seem to at least respect each other.

*A population that is huge, but spread out. There is less density. This is a good thing. Here in South Florida we are crammed into a narrow strip of land betwwen the Atlantic Ocean and the Everglades.

*A much lower cost of living than South Florida-groceries, gas, and more importantly rents are cheaper

Houston Negatives

*The current train line needs to be expanded within the inner loop. Right now it covers only about 7.5 miles. Are there any plans for expansion?

*Houstonians appear to have a polite exterior, but there seems to be a wariness, a hardness under this. It is hard for me to describe. Is it a protection from being hurt, a lack of trust? Either way I can relate to this.

*I have a lucrative business idea: You can get rich in Houston by opening a garage that specializes in wheels and front end allignments.

I salute your city and will now start the process of tying up loose ends and searching for employment prior to moving to Houston.
You from MIAMI? what part? shoot you want to trade places? lol

Old 09-22-2011, 06:38 AM

58 posts, read 90,327 times
I want to thank everyone here for their encouragement; their kind words. I hope to be in Houston by the end of the year-let's see how things work out.

To OducksFTW!
I lived in Hialeah, Florida for 21 years (Hialeah is an immediate suburb of Miami). I presently have been living in Davie, Florida for 9 years. Davie is a suburb of Fort Lauderdale and arguably of Miami as well. That is 30 years living in South Florida. Every city has positive and negative aspects, including Miami. However let me warn you that Miami really has some serious issues. It is not just the glamourized place you see on t.v. Go to the Miami forum here on CD for an eye opener...

Old 09-22-2011, 01:00 PM

254 posts, read 465,859 times
Glad you enjoyed our wonderful city. It seems like you will really love this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston