Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 36,198 times

Advertisements

insulation is an upgrade????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:37 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,365,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrod8 View Post
Heck! If I could store it I would be getting off the grid!!! I think eventually we'll get there, but we are still a long long way... imagine not having to run cables... transform electricity up and then down again... I'm sure the cost would be a lot less... and you wouldn't have blackouts.... you are responsible for your own consumption... I know... 100 years from now
I tell my fiance this all the time! I would LOVE to have a solar setup and generators in case of a blackout, natural disaster, costs saving, etc.. Heck, I was even thinking about wind power at one time, but that's a little ridiculous (plus, I don't think the neighbors would appreciate a tacky wind turbine sprouting from my property lol)

I do plan on buying a generator or two for our home. I've seen some ads where they can lay a concrete slab down and bolt down a heavy duty generator for you next the utilities equipment. Also, it's protected by a locked enclosure. Would be nice to have a setup like that.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:49 AM

302 posts, read 955,358 times
You can upgrade the insulation, ie get a higher grade one, but it's not an upgrade...

As for the generator, in Florida after Katrina, Rita and Wilma back in the mid 2000s whole home generators become very popular. They were natural gas powered and would kick in within 10 seconds of your power going out, problem was they would have to dig a big hole to put a large tank to store the gas... it wasn't cheap either... I think it was $20K -$30K
This was for larger homes, which basically were the ones with the land and the pockets to be able to afford this..

Old 09-22-2011, 11:57 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,586,259 times
The insulation guys that are doing my house, said they never did a r15, r22, r38 combo for westin out in that area. They said all homes get the standard.

I took some pics, i'll post later.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:24 PM

76 posts, read 257,722 times
We upgraded the insulation package, which included various things other then the insulation. It had to be specifically inspected by an outside inspector to recieve an EFL (Enviroments for Living) certificate. My contractor specifically, in a casual conversation, told my that originally my house failed the inspection...so he fixed the issues, and it was re-inspected and it passed. It is inspected by a 3rd party, not through the builder and it has to pass in order to received an EFL certificate. I recieved the certificate not too long ago. So, regardless of what other contractors state....the insulation on my house, and every other Westin home built after my house, has been upgraded. Westin does build in several other neighborhoods right by mine, so maybe they have been to those. However, as I have received an EFL certificate, through Environments for Living (not through Westin), I am pretty confident it was upgraded.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:18 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,586,259 times
EFL houses usually get much more due to that certificate. A lot more money involved. Just like Discovery @ Spring Trails, all homes have to be EFL certified.

The neighborhood I"m building, Westin doesn't even do energy star certified, mostly to keep prices good. I've been watching the build and they are building just as good as other builders.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,386 times
Thanks, useful information.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:47 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,822,035 times
Actually the new Energy Star requirements are tougher than EFL....thus a lot of builders who are currently Energy Star are thinking of switching to EFL.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:08 PM

660 posts, read 1,616,978 times
I have Westin also. I have radiant barrier which is an upgrade.

Sales told me she highly recommends this radiant barrier upgrade.

What would be the standard westin insulation if I didnt have radiant barrier upgrade?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:47 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,175,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brom View Post
I have Westin also. I have radiant barrier which is an upgrade.

Sales told me she highly recommends this radiant barrier upgrade.

What would be the standard westin insulation if I didnt have radiant barrier upgrade?

Westin charges for radiant barrier? Wow, most other good builders don't. That's not right.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: