Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,066,818 times

Advertisements

man if this gets you upset don't venture into the realm of the state or federal level

ATS sounds like... a business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:27 PM

18,158 posts, read 25,383,642 times
My only question is why didn't the city have a lawyer specialized in "CYA" go through that contract before it was signed.
Just like any company in the World would.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:32 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,850,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
SO in other words you didn't care to read it and actually respond to any of the factual information point by point pr refute what they reported, but instead just chose to dismiss information out of hand because you have a preconceived notion of the source. Got it. The article actually merely chronicles the events in the red light camera saga factually and has dozens of quotes from all the players. Sounds pretty credible to me.
I would prefer to get my information from more credible sources.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 PM

2,629 posts, read 8,850,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Well while they don't print lies ... they just sensationalize all the news. Kind of like how the weather people get all buzzed up and sensationalize tropical storms. They say true things but make it appear a lot worse than they actually are.
Well, not without a retraction the following week....

Old 09-14-2011, 08:46 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,054,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Well, not without a retraction the following week....
lol

Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,066,818 times
Houston Press is owned by the Village Voice which owns similar papers all across the US. I was recently in Seattle and picked up their Seattle Weekly. I should have taken it home. The exact same paper just changing out the names of local music festivals, restaurants, and irreverent city-life authors.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:06 PM

448 posts, read 703,944 times
Problem is what is your alternative? I got news for you, the WSJ and Boston Globe aren't covering the issue. Or how about the local TV news that usually gets facts wrong in their 45 second coverage they have to fit in a 30 minute broadcast? Or would you prefer the Chronicle which violated several journalistic principles on this issue? They editorialized for the cameras even after the vote, buried anti camera letters to the editor and their own front page article that accidents went down 16% after the election. They are also in the tank for Parker and are hesitant to run any angle that may make her look bad.

It doesn't change the fact that the article is fact based with quotes from all of the players and a good chronology of what happened. I even learned stuff I didn't know happened. If someone has a problem with the article or what was said bring it up and let's talk about it, my filter is good enough to go through and article and pick out the good information and reject the bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I would prefer to get my information from more credible sources.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:45 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,054,575 times
The issue is over and done .... so why do you persist on arguing over it? Some people agreed with you and others didn't and if they opposed your views at the end, they will continue to oppose it -- can you not agree to disagree and be done? Now the arguing is that everyone should respect your choice of media and if they don't - their wrong....??? Time for a new topic.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:11 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,472,012 times
Quote:
The issue is over and done .... so why do you persist on arguing over it? Some people agreed with you and others didn't and if they opposed your views at the end, they will continue to oppose it -- can you not agree to disagree and be done? Now the arguing is that everyone should respect your choice of media and if they don't - their wrong....??? Time for a new topic.
Tried to rep but must spread around more reps...but anyway +1,000,000,000

Old 09-15-2011, 05:22 AM

448 posts, read 703,944 times
I merely presented a very good detailed article that summed up the issue, it was you and others that came in and wanted to argue about the source. I never said everyone had to respect my choice in media or that this even WAS my choice in media. I said focus on the content if you wanted to have a discussion, what's wrong with that? What part of that indicates that I can't "agree to disagree"? I will continue to post updates on new developements on the issue. This will be an election issue, more cities are getting ready for a vote, there will be pressure put on the state reps, and I will be posting updates as we go. My suggestion is if you are tired of the issue and think it is over and done exercise your freedom of choice and participate in other topics. I would suggest that continuing to post and argue in a thread on a topic you think is dead and the arguing should be over is counterproductive.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston