Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 7,474 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am a recent graduate student (BA Sociology) and currently reside in Dallas (been here for 4 years). I have been carefully evaluating a decision for the past 2 1/2 years. I would like to hear input from anyone who can offer valuable insight and/or experiences.

For some reason, something is pulling me toward Houston -- change of scenery, bigger urban sprawl, and more opportunities. Don't get me wrong I love Dallas, but I feel the need for change.

For those who currently reside in Houston (or those moved from Houston to Dallas), how is the job market in Houston? Is the standard of living more expensive? I found an apartment located in the Northern part of Houston for $525 (two bedroom) and currently paying $605.00 for a one bedroom! I've been applying for jobs in Dallas and yet an answer. Demographically, I am in my mid-20s and currently in graduate school (online) going for Health Care Administration. I am looking for a city that has opportunity and offers a better quality lifestyle.

Thank you all for the input.

R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 02:53 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,005,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamUnique84 View Post
currently reside in Dallas (been here for 4 years). For some reason, something is pulling me toward Houston -- change of scenery, bigger urban sprawl... I am looking for a city that has opportunity and offers a better quality lifestyle.

I found an apartment located in the Northern part of Houston for $525 (two bedroom) and currently paying $605.00 for a one bedroom!
Having lived in Houston and Dallas, there's much more that's similar than different. Moving from Dallas to Houston wouldn't be much of a "change in scenery", and I doubt that Houston would offer a "better quality lifestyle". For one thing, it's more polluted in Houston, and you'll have more humidity to deal with. It's also harder to get away from the city limits to get to somewhere not ugly like the city.

$525 sounds very low for an apartment, even a one-bedroom. If you found a two-bedroom at that rate, it's probably in a crime-infested dump. You might want to research the area (zip code) first to see what you might be getting into. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:22 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,180,786 times
I wouldn't move to Houston from Dallas on a bet if I didn't have a job. That said, I agree with Sunderpig, there are more similarities than differences. However, the infrastructue in Houston sucks compared to Dallas and there is no NHL team here!

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Old 09-14-2011, 03:28 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,984,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
I wouldn't move to Houston from Dallas on a bet if I didn't have a job.
I would not move ANYWHERE without a job

Quote:
However, the infrastructue in Houston sucks compared to Dallas
Just sayin'...

Ronnie
what on earth are you talking about?? what infrastructure???

Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 PM

7 posts, read 7,474 times
Thanks for your contributions. I would not move anywhere without a job, however, I have not applied for any jobs down there -- in other words, investigating potential areas on where I would like to move. I have heard many people (from Houston) telling me the quality of life is better (because it is cheaper) and there is more to do in Houston.

@Sunderpig - I went toModerator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed and compared zip codes. When comparing the zip code I reside in is higher in income, property value, education, median income, etc. Glad I did a comparison on that -- thank you for the suggestion.

@HTownLove - I believe Ronnie was referring to the lack of zoning in Houston?

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-14-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamUnique84 View Post
@HTownLove - I believe Ronnie was referring to the lack of zoning in Houston?

I think that was HTL's sarcasm rearing it's endearing head.

Ronnie

Old 09-14-2011, 04:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,984,680 times
Quote:
endearing
oh lord, please don't use that word. Everything was endearing to my old neighbors

Old 09-14-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
oh lord, please don't use that word. Everything was endearing to my old neighbors
Okay, how about "pithy"?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,835,170 times
I only lived in Dallas for one year (and I was commuting to Austin the whole time) but to me the biggest difference is that Houston seems friendlier and more laid back.

Health care administration should be marketable here. Start networking now, join the professional association, go to conferences, and try to get a job offer before you move.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:11 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,057,119 times
Houston wouldn't necessarily have any more opportunities for you than in Dallas. Do you know what kind of jobs you are looking into getting? There is a huge health care industry here (duh) but the better hospital systems are highly competitive. The scenery and sprawl are similar yet not the same. They have a different feel to me and certainly feel like different cities

I'd say the cost of living is the same to less expensive than Dallas. That being said if you want to live in the most happening places (for a 20 something it wouldn't be North) it'll be expensive no matter what.

Quality of life is subjective no matter how many online measurements come out. I feel Houston has a better quality of life than Dallas (historic hatred between the two cities?). To me, as a Dallas visitor, for a city of that size with really enough interesting stuff it really lacks in a lot of things I like. Dallas has nothing remotely like the Museum District that is here in Houston. Dallas has nicer and more shopping areas than Houston (imo) but the last thing I want to do in my life is go shopping. Some of the hip neighborhoods here in Houston you can't find in Dallas... no matter how hard people try

If you are wanting a change in pace and something different Houston would do it for you. Not as much as saying moving to Santa Fe or Berkley or something but if you wanna stay in the state it's a good place to go

I agree any two bedroom on the north side for under $600 would need to be closely looked at
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: