Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:36 PM

23,978 posts, read 15,086,618 times

Advertisements

As a Houstonian I always wondered about the difference between Houston and Dallas, and why Dallas thought they were better. I grew up in Houston, but lived in Dallas 2 different times. Dallas is easier to get around in. Dallas really knows how to run a city. They have services that are not available in Houston. They are#1 at that. No question.
Nobody in Houston will ever ask you when you were saved.
IMO, Houston is more expensive than Dallas. We lived in Lake Highlands twice and in Rockwall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 01:28 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Nobody in Houston will ever ask you when you were saved.
from what?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:06 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
from what?
I wonder if they mean "saved" as in religion, a relationship with Christ. Interesting.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:14 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejamiller View Post
I wonder if they mean "saved" as in religion, a relationship with Christ. Interesting.
lol, thought it was swamp monsters or something

Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 PM

7 posts, read 7,470 times
As stated, thank you for your contributions. I have officially applied for jobs in Houston. I have a friend who is a HR Manager and she just told me to send her my resume. Now, I am preparing myself for the move in case she offer me to a position within her organization. Any suggestions on what areas to look into? We have transportation and I am aware the traffic in Houston is "murder". My little brother is the only person within my household in high school (he is a Junior), so attending a good school district is also preferable. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:43 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamUnique84 View Post
As stated, thank you for your contributions. I have officially applied for jobs in Houston. I have a friend who is a HR Manager and she just told me to send her my resume. Now, I am preparing myself for the move in case she offer me to a position within her organization. Any suggestions on what areas to look into? We have transportation and I am aware the traffic in Houston is "murder". My little brother is the only person within my household in high school (he is a Junior), so attending a good school district is also preferable. Thanks!
Where is the potential job located?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I am a recent graduate student (BA Sociology) and currently reside in Dallas (been here for 4 years). I have been carefully evaluating a decision for the past 2 1/2 years. I would like to hear input from anyone who can offer valuable insight and/or experiences.

For some reason, something is pulling me toward Houston -- change of scenery, bigger urban sprawl, and more opportunities. Don't get me wrong I love Dallas, but I feel the need for change.

For those who currently reside in Houston (or those moved from Houston to Dallas), how is the job market in Houston? Is the standard of living more expensive? I found an apartment located in the Northern part of Houston for $525 (two bedroom) and currently paying $605.00 for a one bedroom! I've been applying for jobs in Dallas and yet an answer. Demographically, I am in my mid-20s and currently in graduate school (online) going for Health Care Administration. I am looking for a city that has opportunity and offers a better quality lifestyle.

Thank you all for the input.

R.
Speaking from experience-- I was looking for work when the economy was bad from 2002-2004 and also had a bachelors degree. I applied to hourly manager type jobs: rent to own appliances, car insurance claims, fast lube / auto spas, etc. I landed something gainful within 3 weeks and the job paid 2500-3500/mo variably, and that was almost 10 yrs ago. With a degree in sociology you no doubt understand the inner workings of people & culture so I'd think this type of job would come naturally. Just be prepared for commuting because you will be working all over the city & suburbs. And if you find a young lady making the same cash, even better: shack up and you can live very comfortably in a trendy part of the city or a decent suburb w/ more space than you know what to do with... and maybe you'll even marry her. Then when you finally get your break and triple to quintuple your salary you can move on to even greener pastures. It really just depends on how bad you want it.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Where is the potential job located?
I won't know until today. She will get in contact with me today. *fingers crossed*

Old 09-15-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Speaking from experience-- I was looking for work when the economy was bad from 2002-2004 and also had a bachelors degree. I applied to hourly manager type jobs: rent to own appliances, car insurance claims, fast lube / auto spas, etc. I landed something gainful within 3 weeks and the job paid 2500-3500/mo variably, and that was almost 10 yrs ago. With a degree in sociology you no doubt understand the inner workings of people & culture so I'd think this type of job would come naturally. Just be prepared for commuting because you will be working all over the city & suburbs. And if you find a young lady making the same cash, even better: shack up and you can live very comfortably in a trendy part of the city or a decent suburb w/ more space than you know what to do with... and maybe you'll even marry her. Then when you finally get your break and triple to quintuple your salary you can move on to even greener pastures. It really just depends on how bad you want it.
Thank you for telling me your story as I value your input. I want this really bad and as I told my friend, I am willing to relocate. I have the monetary funds to get into an apartment for a couple of months and move, but would not feel comfortable knowing I need to find a job. As everyone stated, a job is priority. Once a job falls into place, the search for a place will be the next step! ;-)

Once I know where the job is located, I will notify you guys!

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,993 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I am a recent graduate student (BA Sociology) and currently reside in Dallas (been here for 4 years). I have been carefully evaluating a decision for the past 2 1/2 years. I would like to hear input from anyone who can offer valuable insight and/or experiences.

For some reason, something is pulling me toward Houston -- change of scenery, bigger urban sprawl, and more opportunities. Don't get me wrong I love Dallas, but I feel the need for change.

For those who currently reside in Houston (or those moved from Houston to Dallas), how is the job market in Houston? Is the standard of living more expensive? I found an apartment located in the Northern part of Houston for $525 (two bedroom) and currently paying $605.00 for a one bedroom! I've been applying for jobs in Dallas and yet an answer. Demographically, I am in my mid-20s and currently in graduate school (online) going for Health Care Administration. I am looking for a city that has opportunity and offers a better quality lifestyle.

Thank you all for the input.

R.
Houston is amazing! However, I warn you that 9 times out of 10 the area that is being advertised for 2 BEDROOM FOR 525 IS IN AN AREA THAT WOULD BE LESS PLEASING TO YOU. i WOULD SAY, RESEARCH THE AREA MORE AND THEN LET ME KNOW WHERE IT IS AND I WILL TELL YOU IF IT'S A GOOD DEAL OR NOT. NEVERTHELESS, THERE ARE A LOT OF JOB OPPORTUNITIES HERE AND THERE IS A VAST AMOUNT OF FUN ACTIVITIES THAT YOU CAN GET INTO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: