Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:25 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,831,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
I could see that being outside of Dallas, Austin, or Houston.

Houston is seriously not slow or lazy. I always drive over the speed limit and I'm constantly moving over to a slower lane on the freeway for people behind to pass me.
Thanks for telling us that you drive over the limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:11 AM

76 posts, read 277,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Haha it was for survival I felt like I was going to be run over.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:43 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,190,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Get rid of the HOV lane and put a rail in it's place. The HOV lane is stupid and only serves a small minority. It could serve a lot more if it were a rail. Plenty of park and rides being used by buses that aren't cheap and need an operator.

Like THAT'S gonna ever happen. I can see it now, 2,000 guys along I45 leaning on shovels looking into holes while the travel time on I45 goes from an hour to 2 hours from Webster to downtown.

Ronnie

Old 09-07-2011, 04:24 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,046,275 times
There's a concrete barrier separating the workers from traffic on both sides. And they'll have their own lane to haul in stuff protected by that concrete barrier. It's not like they have to build say an overpass like the one for Nasa Rd 1. They're all already in place and just need tracks.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM

816 posts, read 1,950,860 times
Quote:

If the speed limit was 60. I'd be scared to death going 50 on the freeway.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:46 PM

16,514 posts, read 26,405,261 times
Quote:
There's a concrete barrier separating the workers from traffic on both sides. And they'll have their own lane to haul in stuff protected by that concrete barrier. It's not like they have to build say an overpass like the one for Nasa Rd 1. They're all already in place and just need tracks.
It's one lane inside of the beltway, so there is no extra room to haul materials.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:33 PM

125 posts, read 239,409 times
Quote:
Get rid of the HOV lane and put a rail in it's place. The HOV lane is stupid and only serves a small minority. It could serve a lot more if it were a rail. Plenty of park and rides being used by buses that aren't cheap and need an operator.
I started a thread about this yesterday. Moderator closed the thread before the working people getting home could join in.

I'm not sure a rail would be used much either. People want to drive to work. And the nature of suburban living makes it difficult to imagine driving miles to a rail station to get on a train.

But you're right, HOV lanes are a waste of concrete. All that cement being used for the HOV lane (behavioral modification, actually) would be better utilized as an additional northbound/southbound lane.

Just think how much that would alleviate traffic!

But no, the greenies want us to carpool...

Last edited by mistergus75; 09-08-2011 at 04:17 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I remeber those lanes when I used to live in Atlanta. They would always be the "empty" lanes.
Think about all the lost productivity, the wasted hours for all the people sitting in traffic because of those (certainly underused, if not technically empty) HOV lanes.

Think of the additional gasoline burned by all the cars stuck just sitting in traffic due to an inadequate number of lanes.

Think of all the pollutants being dumped in the air by all that slow moving, sometimes-not-moving-at-all traffic just so the greenies can feel good about their HOV lanes.

Get rid of them!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:58 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,831,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergus75 View Post
Think about all the lost productivity, the wasted hours for all the people sitting in traffic because of those (certainly underused, if not technically empty) HOV lanes.

Think of the additional gasoline burned by all the cars stuck just sitting in traffic due to an inadequate number of lanes.

Think of all the pollutants being dumped in the air by all that slow moving, sometimes-not-moving-at-all traffic just so the greenies can feel good about their HOV lanes.

Get rid of them!
IKR! That's the truth!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
IKR! That's the truth!
Jump on the other thread!

Behavior controlling liberals need to hear you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston