Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:00 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,039,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Thanks for explaining. It wuld be a good idea if Houston adds a rail system along its freeways and major corridors. I don't know if they are already doing this, but if not, it would be nice.

Get rid of the HOV lane and put a rail in it's place. The HOV lane is stupid and only serves a small minority. It could serve a lot more if it were a rail. Plenty of park and rides being used by buses that aren't cheap and need an operator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 10:12 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,816,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Get rid of the HOV lane and put a rail in it's place. The HOV lane is stupid and only serves a small minority. It could serve a lot more if it were a rail. Plenty of park and rides being used by buses that aren't cheap and need an operator.
I remeber those lanes when I used to live in Atlanta. They would always be the "empty" lanes.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:29 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,375,054 times
Only if there was a large park and ride type station where it meets roughly the Greenspoint/B8 area that flows into downtown. Would have to feed into the METRO Fannin line.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:45 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,733,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie800 View Post
Thanks all - we are coming from Chicago and the traffic here is horrendous on the tollways - so it sounds much of the same!
Don't think it's as bad as Chicago, from the road trip I made out there. Chicago also sprawls wayyy to the west since it can't go east. Even 30-40 miles from downtown it's pretty expensive. On the other hand Houston area drivers are very slow and lazy compared to Chicago. Leave your horn honking & attitude in Chicago, too.

There is a "busiest roads in Texas" list that measures congestion and volume. I can't find it now but I do remember while I-45 around Clear Lake made the list, surface streets such as Westheimer have more congestion and volume than this freeway. The Gulf Fwy measured about average for a freeway in the Houston area on this list.

On weekends there is always a good amount of traffic going to Galveston and Kemah. Webster/Baybrook mall is the only 'good' big-box shopping area for 40 miles, too (between Gulfgate and Galveston). During the whole month of December, traffic is hell (Christmas insanity). However the surface streets work very well. After some time you'll figure out how to navigate them and avoid all that.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,031,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Thanks for explaining. It wuld be a good idea if Houston adds a rail system along its freeways and major corridors. I don't know if they are already doing this, but if not, it would be nice.
I don't any of us will see this in our lifetimes.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,375,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Don't think it's as bad as Chicago, from the road trip I made out there. Chicago also sprawls wayyy to the west since it can't go east. Even 30-40 miles from downtown it's pretty expensive. On the other hand Houston area drivers are very slow and lazy compared to Chicago. Leave your horn honking & attitude in Chicago, too.

There is a "busiest roads in Texas" list that measures congestion and volume. I can't find it now but I do remember while I-45 around Clear Lake made the list, surface streets such as Westheimer have more congestion and volume than this freeway. The Gulf Fwy measured about average for a freeway in the Houston area on this list.

On weekends there is always a good amount of traffic going to Galveston and Kemah. Webster/Baybrook mall is the only 'good' big-box shopping area for 40 miles, too (between Gulfgate and Galveston). During the whole month of December, traffic is hell (Christmas insanity). However the surface streets work very well. After some time you'll figure out how to navigate them and avoid all that.
Are you serious?

Old 09-05-2011, 12:35 PM

816 posts, read 1,949,856 times
Quote:
Haha. What the heck?

Major stereotyping.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:00 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,733,751 times
That's what I experienced. All those travel guides that say it's best to leave your car & ride the 'L' / public transportation are really saying you're going to deal with seriously aggressive and systematically rude drivers. I have some family up there in the burbs who won't get anywhere near Chicago due to the driving situation, but honestly after a bunch of coffee & espresso it's not scary or anything. Generally speaking, the pace of life in Texas is much slower vs. up there.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:42 PM

76 posts, read 277,566 times
Quote:
That's what I experienced. All those travel guides that say it's best to leave your car & ride the 'L' / public transportation are really saying you're going to deal with seriously aggressive and systematically rude drivers. I have some family up there in the burbs who won't get anywhere near Chicago due to the driving situation, but honestly after a bunch of coffee & espresso it's not scary or anything. Generally speaking, the pace of life in Texas is much slower vs. up there.

That is funny because last time we were in Houston and drove on I-45 people were zooming past us weaving in and out of cars (not lazy or slow! ) - and we were going above the speed limit. I don't find Chicago drivers to be rude - downtown is a different story (in the loop area), lots of cabs and buses people tend to get crazy. We will be there next week, so I'm going to check it out. Thanks all!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 PM

816 posts, read 1,949,856 times
Quote:
I could see that being outside of Dallas, Austin, or Houston.

Houston is seriously not slow or lazy. I always drive over the speed limit and I'm constantly moving over to a slower lane on the freeway for people behind to pass me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston