Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 03:29 PM

6 posts, read 31,273 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are possibly moving to the Houston area for my husband's job. He will be working out of the home, but Houston will be his territory. So, I really don't know anything at all about Texas as we are living in Florida right now. I have found some great looking neighborhoods online in the Houston area but I don't know how they really are in accordance with location and schools. We have a 1 year old so schools are definitely in our future. I was wondering if you could tell me anything about these subdivisions:

Terrace Brook Villa (Houston)
Champions Crossing (Houston)
Remington Ranch (Houston)
Grand Oaks (Houston)
Lakes of Pine Forest (Houston)
Morton Ranch (Katy)
Raintree Village (Katy)
Lakecrest-Signature Collection (Katy)
Falcon Ranch (Katy)
Saddle Ridge (Humble)
Woodspring Forest (Humble)
Canyon Villages at Park Lakes 5 (Humble)
Woodland Pines (Humble)
Southern Colony (Rosharon)
Winfield Lakes (Fresno)
Inverness Estates-Sterling Collection (Tomball)
Memorial Springs (Tomball)
Glen Oaks (Magnolia)
Sienna Plantation (Missouri City)
Bonbrook Plantation (Richmond)
River's Run (Richmond)
Park Creek (Cypress)
Fairfield (Cypress)
Pine Creek at Canyon Lakes West 55s (Cypress)
Yaupon Ranch (Cypress)
Imperial Oaks (Spring)

Wow, that's a lot! But, there is only so much I can do this far away you know!?!? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, the actually subdivision is really important to us! We would like to have a sports complex, pool, my husband would LOVE to live near a soccer field, but you know, that's negotiable. LOL
TIA!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 05:19 PM

47 posts, read 262,726 times
Default katy area

The katy area has good schools, and I live in Westheimer Lakes North, which I love. We have developed a real community here with neighborhood get togethers. Also, I have a three year old that goes to daycare around here. I know alot about neighborhoods here in Katy, if you need more info on daycare or neighborhoods, feel free to send me a message. My wife teaches here, and I am a real estate agent. Let me know if I can help.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:47 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
The only location I am familiar with that you mentioned is Canyon Villages at Park Lakes 5 (Humble). I would have to advise you against that location. The Park Lakes Elementary school received an "Unacceptable" rating and that neighborhood feeds into Humble HS which is also not the greatest. However, right across the beltway from there is Fall Creek and it's a really nice neighborhood. The new elementary school will be finished for fall of 2008. The current grade school is Summerwood which received a "Recognized" rating. The HS is Atascacita which is also a good school. There is a new MS and HS being built that will serve Fall Creek. The new elementary school in Fall Creek is supposed to have a soccer field and they are building a new YMCA just down the beltway from Fall Creek that will have plenty of sports. Check out www dot FallCreekHouston.com ~K~

Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 PM

268 posts, read 1,489,067 times
Could you let us know your price range? Do you want a newer home, new construction, or would a 30 year old home be o.k.?

I looked up Morton Ranch and found houses under $100K to $180K. This neighborhood began construction in the early 1980's and there is now new construction being built. The elementary school is Franz which just got a higher school rating from acceptable to recognized.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:40 AM

799 posts, read 3,694,285 times
Memorial Springs in Tomball is very nice. My friend lives there. It is on the edge of Spring (it is about 5 minutes away from me). They have a community pool and there is a big park nearby for soccer, feeding ducks, and taking your child to play. We have a library out here that has story time and movie time for toddlers. We also have a YMCA and other fitness centers out here as well as restaurants and shopping. Your other Tomball subdivision is located further into Timoball.I don't know faurfield but heard it is very nice also.
Memorial Springs is Klein ISD, children go to Krahn elementary(my 3 children all went there), Doerre Middle School(which is located in Memorial Northwest subdivision,another nice one for you to check out, homes are older in here with lots of trees), and Klein Oak High School.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:02 AM

6 posts, read 31,273 times
Thank you all for your help! I greatly appreciate it! Are there any cities that I need to stay away from so that I can cross it off my list? I should cross off Humble, right, as Kandy said or is that just the area in Humble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolineb View Post
Could you let us know your price range? Do you want a newer home, new construction, or would a 30 year old home be o.k.?
Price Range - $150,000.00-$200,000.00
We really want a home with no previous owners! So, new contruction. I understand we are kind of taking a gamble on the subdivisions themselves with brand new neighborhoods, but we REALLY want a new home!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,968 times
That's just the area in Humble. For new homes in Humble area check out:

Fall Creek
Summerwood
Lakeview

Old 08-17-2007, 04:58 PM

47 posts, read 262,726 times
katy is a good area with top schools, and lots of new construction. There are plenty of builders in that price range here in katy to

Old 08-24-2007, 07:13 PM

6 posts, read 26,662 times
look into Spring also. The schools (Klein ISD )here are excellent and it has a family friendly attitude.
New housing in your pricerange everywhere around.
Closer to airport , if that is interesting. Spring is mostly developed so infrastructure with libraries, parks etc is here. Not too far from downtown for Museums and entertainment ( sports ). A hop to the Woodlands Mall which is one of the nicer ones with Childrens Museum and carusell / family area for you and Ur little one.
Did you look into the Woodlands ? Zoned, neat , taxes a bit higher though.
Have fun finding YOUR place !

Old 08-25-2007, 09:52 AM

12 posts, read 62,356 times
We just moved to the area with 4 kids, so schools were a big factor. In my research, Katy and Cy-Fair had the best schools. But, even in those school districts there are schools that you are great and schools that are not so good. So, when you're looking at a subdivision, look at the schools and research them as well as the whole district. Also, know that neighborhoods here get rezoned often, so the schools you are looking at right now, might not be the schools your child goes to in a few years. So, you also want to research the schools close by.
The only two you listed that I'm familar with is Canyon Lakes West and Fairfield. Canyon Lakes West was still unknown with the schools. Some they were going to now weren't as good. I think they might have been rezoning soon though, so they may end up good. Fairfield had great elementary schools now and the research I did on the middle and high schools were good as well. However, I know they are scheduled to be rezoned to a brand new high school. I also think there is a new middle school in the plans for them.
The other thing you mentioned was about sports stuff, pools, soccer - Fairfield has all that and more. Many master planned communities will have more than just a pool.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston