Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,597,632 times

Advertisements

Back to Texas City. Well, some of this involves a ride on the Galveston-Bolivar ferry.

filter- take a picture - YouTube

In fact, there's Galveston. Hi Galveston.

Fact: this was (roughly) the site of one of the earliest air bases during World War I. Ever hear or read about Germany sending a telegram to Mexico promising to help them retake the Southwest if they invaded the US? Well, this camp was established just in case that happened. It didn't.

There was also a ship found in the Texas City Channel recently thought to have been sunk during the Battle of Galveston in the Civil War.

So there's our history lesson today.

The new high school, still under construction. The plan was to have it open over the 2011-12 Christmas break, weather permitting. You could say they have not missed much work due to rain.

Sixth Street in Texas City's old downtown.

We're on a boat now.

Let's close this out with a little post-Ike urbex on Bolivar.

That is to say, nobody was found in here, live or dead.

That's pretty much it, for now anyway.

Maybe posting pictures again will bring some rain. Hey, it's worth a shot. Have a good evening.

https://www.facebook.com/jfre81photo (broken link)

-30-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 08:22 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,583,865 times
Some people (and places i guess) are really good at this photography thing. I wonder what it takes to take really good pics. I know youre trying and I know for a fact this is the average quality/content. There must be a school for these. have you considered going to one?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:35 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,800,084 times
Did you ever consider going to a school where they teach you how not to speak out of your ar*se?????
If you don't know anything about photography and professional equipment I suggest you stay outta of it mate.
I actually find the pictures very refreshing and out of the standard norm. Probably much better than any pictures you could take....
So don't poop on this guy parade mate, don't do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBomb View Post
Some people (and places i guess) are really good at this photography thing. I wonder what it takes to take really good pics. I know youre trying and I know for a fact this is the average quality/content. There must be a school for these. have you considered going to one?

Old 08-23-2011, 09:00 PM

90 posts, read 237,039 times
Thank you jfre81.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:09 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,583,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Did you ever consider going to a school where they teach you how not to speak out of your ar*se?????
If you don't know anything about photography and professional equipment I suggest you stay outta of it mate.
I actually find the pictures very refreshing and out of the standard norm. Probably much better than any pictures you could take....
He'll get better. Many seem out of focus IMO
the B&Ws are good. Some just didnt capture anything. It happens. he can tell you that

Old 08-23-2011, 10:00 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,814,717 times
Awesome!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:47 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,842,483 times
Great pics.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,462,284 times
Nice Thank you for posting the photos that you do so very well.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,597,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
In Wizzywig/Steve/Tim/whateverhe'llcallhimselfnextmonth's defense, that's as close to constructive criticism as I've ever seen him offer, and wasn't merely a poor attempt at trolling. I have to say I'm proud of him for once.

He's absolutely right on some points. I am still learning. Photographers can be classed in two groups. One for those who are still learning and one for those who are dead or just gave it up. If you're not learning anymore, you might as well quit.

Learning was basically the entire point of this to begin with. I didn't want to be one of these people who sits around on an internet forum and complains there's nothing to do, so I developed a hobby. This was something I wanted to start doing a long time ago, before city-data existed. And at one point about four years ago I decided to start learning, through trial and error basically.

I'm not making much off of it, but you could say the camera has paid for itself since December. And at that point I pretty much reverted to square one as far as learning goes. The principles of framing, composition etc. were still the same but it's a much more intricate piece of equipment. With the old point-shoot it didn't matter much. Most of what came out of it was crap. A photographer's first 10,000 or so shots are always going to be his/her worst.

I have a way of doing with my photo work the way I did and do with writing, everything old to me looks like crap with a few exceptions. I look and go "oh ****, did I really put that out there?" But it's mainly from a perspective of gauging progress. If you think something you did last year is better than what you're doing now, that's not progressing, that's regressing. I've learned a lot in the time that's passed since I shot this stuff (some of what's in this thread was shot as far back as February). And six months from now, either I'll know more than I do now or I'll have been wasting my time. And I don't think I'm doing that.

Thanks everyone.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:48 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,477,599 times
What a true artist you are, jfre! Thank you so much for sharing more of your talent with us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston