Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,517,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
I've read that there are unpaid tickets from like 2004 and 2005.. It wouldn't appear that those people cared or have paid them..
Those stats are clearly not for the red light cameras.

Houston did not install the red light cameras until 2006.

HPD Moves Closer To Installing Red-Light Cameras | Houston Redlight Cameras Locations (http://houstonredlightcameras.com/Location_of_Redlight_Cameras_Houston/hpd-moves-closer-to-installing-red-light-cameras/ - broken link)

Houston has collected 50.5 million since 2006! That is a lot of people running red lights!
50.5 million divided by 75 = 673 333.333
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 06:39 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by baytownb View Post
Pretty simple, You support red light cameras, red light cameras lower the penalty for running a red light from a crime to a civil offense, therefore, you support lowering the penalty for running a red light. Me, I hate red light runners, I want them to face a real cop and get pulled over, I want that cop to look for illegal drugs or weapons in the vehicle, or arrest warrants and actually take the red light runner off the streets. The only way to get the worst violators to stop is to take them off the street. Red light cameras have never taken one single red light runner off the streets. Just sent them a souvenier of their bad behavior. If the cameras really were cutting down on those stupid red light runners why are you bragging about how much money they have made? Shouldn't they be loosing money if the cameras stopped red light running?

Regardless of this little side step you still have not offered anything that shows any real penalty for not paying a camera ticket, no arrest warrant, no points on your license or insurance, can't go on your credit, can't have your car impounded, Harris county isn't blocking registrations, NOTHING!

You keep talking about the threat of getting a judgement, which the city could do but hasn't. The city isn't going to tie up a DA in court and file all of the paperwork to chase someone that owes them $75.
Not all red light runners are hard core criminals. I would prefer HPD to have help in enforcing the law against running red lights. Red Light cameras are the help they need. HPD is understaffed and has a lot more to worry about then just the red light runner!

Yes Houston needs the money and people who run red lights will be charged for doing it...it's all good

Keep to the subject...we are not talking about taking hard core criminals off of the street

Hopefully the cameras will stay on!

If you feel that you can't keep from chasing that stale yellow light then just avoid the intersections that have the lights installed...Houston makes it easy for you...they post where the lights are.

50.5 million/75= 673,333.333 Damn that is a lot of red light runners in 4 years!

Right this is lowering the penalty for running a red light by charging 75$...it is better then charging nothing! At least they should be thankful that it was only 75$ and it might make them think the next time they want to chase that stale yellow light! Keep in mind that HPD can't sit 24/7 at all the hot spot intersections in the city of Houston. Red Light Cameras are better then nothing...and Houston could certainly use the money.

Last edited by TVC15; 07-07-2011 at 06:47 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:

You keep talking about the threat of getting a judgement, which the city could do but hasn't.

Are you delusional...what are you talking about? I'm just posting the links so you can read it for yourself.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:01 PM

448 posts, read 706,049 times
I have read those before, and long before you ever thought of looking them up. How does posting a link that they CAN do something show that they ARE doing something? Clearly you can see the difference right? They AREN"T DOING IT. If they AREN"T DOING IT there is no penalty. What's so hard about understanding that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Are you delusional...what are you talking about? I'm just posting the links so you can read it for yourself.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I have read those before, and long before you ever thought of looking them up. How does posting a link that they CAN do something show that they ARE doing something? Clearly you can see the difference right? They AREN"T DOING IT. If they AREN"T DOING IT there is no penalty. What's so hard about understanding that?
Doing what?....what are you talking about Where did the 50.5 million come from if there is no penalty? Are you nuts!

Yawn I put up enough facts and I'm done with you! I don't think you even grasp what I am talking about.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:34 PM

LOL! Thanks for playing, this is getting good, you think that because people paid there had to have been a penalty. That's rich, thanks, I needed a laugh before bed.

Quote:
Doing what?....what are you talking about Where did the 50.5 million come from if there is no penalty? Are you nuts!

Yawn I put up enough facts and I'm done with you! I don't think you even grasp what I am talking about.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
LOL! Thanks for playing, this is getting good, you think that because people paid there had to have been a penalty. That's rich, thanks, I needed a laugh before bed.

Glad I made you chuckle!

Again can you answer the question? Where did the 50.5 million come from?

I'll answer it for you...it came from fines resulting from red light camera violations. That's the penalty for getting a red light camera violation.

And I thought it was only Californians that were this stubborn when it comes to understanding things.

And no wonder the vote passed by 53%...I'm sure it was those additional ~673,333 extra people at the poles pissed off because they were caught on camera!

Last edited by TVC15; 07-07-2011 at 07:50 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 07:53 PM

OMG, you seriously have got to be kidding me, this is like babysitting without getting paid. Now I KNOW you are just being ridiculous on purpose. We spent 2 pages talking about whether or not there is a penalty for NOT PAYING your camera notice of violation, which you never showed any penalty for not paying that we can point to that actually occured. Now you want to act like the initial notice of violation (which is unenforceable) is proof of a penalty for not paying? Yep, definitely just messing around, no one is that off base.

The millions of ill gotten revenue came from sending out notices of violation to people who believed it was a real ticket and sent the money in. How does that show there is a penalty for them if the DON'T PAY?

Quote:
Glad I made you chuckle!

Again can you answer the question? Where did the 50.5 million come from?

I'll answer it for you...it came from fines resulting from red light camera violations. That's the penalty for getting a red light camera violation.

And I thought it was only Californians that were this stubborn when it comes to understanding things.

And no wonder the vote passed by 53%...I'm sure it was those additional ~673,333 extra people at the poles pissed off because they got caught!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
The millions of ill gotten revenue came from sending out notices of violation to people who believed it was a real ticket and sent the money in. How does that show there is a penalty for them if the DON'T PAY?
OMG if you believe that then you are seriously crazy! First of all they did not issue tickets to those people...they sent them violation notices. So there goes your fake ticket theory.

Do you think people are that stupid? Show me facts of people who received a violation notice and just ignored it and nothing happened to them. Post some links to back up your claim. You have posted nothing but your silly opinion.

I am thankful that people who violated the law by running a red light stepped up to the plate and paid their violation vs. taking your stance. You make great conscientious human don't you. If you did the crime why shouldn't you pay the fine? If what you are tying to claim is true that Houston sent out fake tickets...I guess you think the big city of Houston would be so stupid to send out fake tickets and collect 50.5 million. If what you claim is true where are the law suits?

I challenge you to post proof for what you so claim.

These two system are different. When HPD pulls you over for running a red light...you will get a ticket in that case. Do you get the HPD ticket vs. the red light violation concept? Keep them separated because they are not the same thing. HPD officer vs. red light camera...maybe that's your issue...you think they are the same situation.

The red light cameras don't operate the same as when HPD pulls you over for running a red light. Just like the Houston Toll Authority does not send you a ticket when you run through the EZ tag lane without an EZ tag...it is a toll violation and you will be fined. Why is this so difficult for you to get? Seems straight forward to me!

Last edited by TVC15; 07-07-2011 at 08:22 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 08:50 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,955,546 times
Quote:
Houston has collected 50.5 million since 2006! That is a lot of people running red lights!
50.5 million divided by 75 = 673 333.333
That's actually kinda sad considering the mayor said there are currently over 270,000 unpaid red light camera tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston