Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 04:02 PM

10 posts, read 31,761 times

Advertisements

I took notice of Spring Branch ISD special ed program (supposedly great) because we are looking into moving out of Cali. But when googling it to find out more info I am now confused if "Spring Branch" is a city or just the name of the school district because I found a city called Spring Branch by San Antonio but the main office of Spring Branch ISD is located in Houston? I need to know:
1) What is the name of the town/city belonging to Spring Branch ISD?
2) Is it located near Houston or San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,309,518 times
Spring Branch is an area in Houston. It used to be its own little town and was annexed by Houston some 50 or 60 years ago.

ISDs in Texas do not necessarily follow city or county boundaries. For example, Katy ISD includes parts of Harris, Ft Bend and Waller counties. It confused me a bit at first because in Louisiana the school boundaries are the parish (county) boundaries.

Spring Branch ISD includes a section of Houston, incorporated towns Piney Point, Spring Valley, Bunker Hill, and a couple of others.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:40 PM

594 posts, read 1,250,428 times
There is a Spring Branch ISD in Houston...and it's an area in Houston.

There is an area near San Antonio called Spring Branch but as far as I know it is in the Comal ISD.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:40 PM

344 posts, read 1,187,789 times
Spring Branch is the name for an area in west Houston, and Spring Branch ISD is the school district that serves that area, and also includes the villages of Bunker Hill, Hedwig, Hilshire, Hunters Creek, Piney Point and Spring Valley. As the name implies, SBISD is an independent government body with elected officials serving as members of the board of trustees that oversee the district in conjunction with the professional full time employees who do the day to day running of the district. ISDs have geographic boundaries that do not follow city limits necessarily.

Maps of Spring Branch Independent School District

Old 06-15-2011, 05:51 PM

10 posts, read 31,761 times
Got it! I was confused but I think I got it now: Spring Branch isn't it's own town (well, not the one I want anyway!) and the Spring Branch ISD consists of multiple towns near Houston. Thank You!!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,836,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBernard View Post
Got it! I was confused but I think I got it now: Spring Branch isn't it's own town (well, not the one I want anyway!) and the Spring Branch ISD consists of multiple towns near Houston. Thank You!!
No, you still don't have it. It is a school district within Houston.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 AM

24,010 posts, read 15,106,139 times
Texas has school districts independent of city governments. Their funding source is their own, not through the city. ISD's elect their own board of trustees and they hire the superintendent. City and county governments have nothing to do with schools in Texas.
The Houston area does not have a lot of incorporated towns. A few, not many such as Katy and Jersey Village. We have areas of town that are called the same as some of the school districts. The areas may or may not be encompassed by school district boundaries.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,507,676 times
Spring Branch ISD is within Houston. If you look at the map of Houston, it's boundaries run from right at the 610 loop, due west on either side of 1-10 all the way to almost Highway 6 south of 10, and to around Kirkwood on the north side of 10. It's southern border is Buffalo Bayou, the northern border is
a little less clear when looking at the map.

Bascially all of 77024 is in it. Most of 77055, 77079,77043 and 77080 are in it.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:54 PM

344 posts, read 1,187,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBernard View Post
Almost. Spring Branch ISD is within the Houston City limits, and within the the limits of the six villages, because Houston surrounds those six interdependent small incorporated towns. There are other smaller villages and towns that the city has annexed all around and surrounded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston